Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Which players guide or companion has the latest updated rules with clarifications, etc.?

Also, I'm confused about timing of card play. Let's say I reveal a site to move to and it says I draw 3 cards my opponent 3. I draw a permanent resource event. Can I play it right away or does my opponent get to play hazards now that my hazard limit is set?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always play resource events (apart from long-events which may only be played in the long-event phase) any time during your own turn including the movement phase if not prohibited by the rules or the card themselves.

Since you're the phasing player you get to start the first action in a chain of effect so you can play all resources you want before your opponent can play their fist hazard on you (unless they respond to one of your plays of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Let's say I reveal a site to move to and it says I draw 3 cards my opponent 3.

Note that both you and her can draw up tp 3 cards (with a minimum of one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks guys.

Yeah, I knew that I didn't have to draw 3 (only 1) but haven't found a reason _not_ to draw the max each time as I want to cycle my deck usually.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hunholz
United States
Plymouth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the latest rules, none of the players guides or companions have them. You should check out Meccg.net for the latest clarifications and rulings by the NetRep! There's also lots of good info there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhunholz wrote:
As for the latest rules, none of the players guides or companions have them. You should check out Meccg.net for the latest clarifications and rulings by the NetRep! There's also lots of good info there.

Thanks Josh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Which players guide or companion has the latest updated rules with clarifications, etc.?

Also, I'm confused about timing of card play. Let's say I reveal a site to move to and it says I draw 3 cards my opponent 3. I draw a permanent resource event. Can I play it right away or does my opponent get to play hazards now that my hazard limit is set?

Andy

Timing is a little bit complex in MECCG.

After the hazard limit is set any passive events trigger - so for example if a Snowstorm is in play and you're moving through a wilderness - opps, you're bounced back to your site of origin before you get chance to do anything ... (except play a twilight). But assuming nothing is already in play waiting to trigger, yes it's your turn you have priority you can play a card, which starts a chain of effects that your opponent could respond to.

There are some tricks you can pull, so for example you can wait for your opponent to play a hazard then use resources to reduce the hazard limit and nulify the hazard.

Best to post rule questions etc on meccg.net - it also has a ton of other support stuff for this great game.

[I'm biased - being a member of the net-rep team ...]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Awesome, thanks guys.

Yeah, I knew that I didn't have to draw 3 (only 1) but haven't found a reason _not_ to draw the max each time as I want to cycle my deck usually.

Andy

Well it's possible to build trick decks that try to make you cycle your deck repeatedly in one turn and then your opponent calls the council and wins the game - against that sort of deck you don't want to draw more than the mandatory 1 card.

Also you might not want to exhaust your draw deck - as a number of cards have a discard when a deck exhausts condition (eg. Bane of the Ithil Stone, Echo of All Joy, Ordered to Kill, Safe from the Shadow, etc). Or you might have a deck that manipulates the sideboard/discard pile and exhausting your deck can mess that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, didin't know these things. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forcing your opponent's deck to exhaust is not easy, and the deck won't consistently work. It's a Fallen Wizard deck, combo is Crambor [elf who can tap to move to a new site] and Spying Out the Land [spell that forces your opponent to show his hand and he can then only play hazards that he reveals for the rest of the turn].

So idea is Spy Out the Land, and then move Crambor to draw cards (no hazards playable), untap him, repeat. Keep moving him drawing cards until both players have exhausted their play decks (end game condition reached), then drop some resources in the site phase and it's game over - your opponent never gets another turn. It's brittle - against a deck that gets MPs quickly you won't be able to play enough MPs in the one super turn to win.

I guess you could play the deck as Minion too rather than FW, but version I've seen uses Fallen Radagast and some of the specific cards for him that give MPs.

Some ring dunk decks work on getting the draw deck close to exhausting but not finished (use smoke rings to bring in the key bits of the combo before your deck exhausts).

There's a Minion ringwraith deck using Malady without Healing and Akhorahil that works on the same sort of idea too - to play Malady without Healing multiple times on an opponent's company to kill off all the characters - as Akhorahil gets to put magic cards he plays back in the draw deck (use A dark Tryst to redraw them), his unleashed card helps too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, there is so much to this game. It's sad that the game was cancelled in some ways.

Though, I do like that I'm not being "expansioned" to death.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.