Popular Tags: [View All]
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Void tile and I've been playing mostly with it - it makes games more interesting as factions acquire more tech and it tends to speed games up as players with multiple techs can more often than not make a 'leap' and do major things in one turn (though not always - sometimes it's more an attrition war grind).

I haven't yet tried constructing my own map yet, but I encountered a problem playing the quandary map from the void's instruction manual:

To make a long story short, green had a very slow start and didn't drop any cubes until both Orange and Blue were close to victory. Focusing on obstructing each other's efforts, the race between them slowed down and green got a chance to catch up. However, with one quantum cube left - he had no where to drop it. The only two spots that were open an 8 tile and a 9 tile - both had a green cube on it (the 9 tile also had an orange one, so orange was racing to the last place he could while blue had the chance between two tiles). I took a picture of the board during play though not near the very end:

Green asked if he could construct a quantum cube through infamy. But it seemed like it wasn't possible because there were no legal spaces for him to deploy. The only option seemed for him to get the relocation advance card and move an orange or blue cube somewhere else. There were no relocation cards on offer, and though he spent his research on 'resetting' the advance cards (wiping the current six and getting six new ones), no relocation came up (at least has been used earlier in the game). This resulted in a very frustrating situation where green didn't' see how he could win and spent his time destroying orange and blue ships and delaying the game. Orange and blue didn't succeed finishing it (though I suspect that I made some mistakes as orange - I probably could have finished it but missed opportunities) and the game dragged.

I love love love the game and this time was the first time I had a frustrating experience with it. The game dragged and though we all enjoyed it - it got to the point where we declared a tie, since it was really taking very long. Green's only chance was to accumulate enough research (while keeping us at bay) to wipe the board again, hope for a relocation and then gain enough research before we do to take the relocation - and only then he would have a chance at winning (while incidentally perhaps putting one of us in that frustrating position). That seems like a long shot but more importantly, it makes for obstructionist strategies.

I suspect the same problem can arise in other maps, such as the Supercollider. This is odd because the original manual warns about a map where a player can be shut out of victory, but the maps that came with the Void tile seem not have been checked for that. Or am I missing something? If the same 3 players drop cubes on both of the 9 tiles in the Supercollider map, the fourth player cannot win without relocating one of their cubes - the only spaces left are the 10 tiles, and there are only 4 of them (the map starts with 5 cubes). This only happens if one player has a slow start but that just happened to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, thanks! I did read that a year ago but totally forogt because it really didn't come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.