Pairs» Forums » Rules

Subject: Continuous Pairs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Hedstrom
United States
California
flag msg tools
Stared playing Pairs for the first time on Thanksgiving, and it was a big hit. We moved to Continuous Pairs which we liked even more. We had a question about where to start dealing when a person hits a pair or folds (taking a lower card from the table). We were split 50/50 about giving the person who just went out the next card, or giving it to the next person clockwise from the player that paired/folded. By starting with the next person in line, we realized that the person who just tossed in their cards due to a pair/fold, would go two complete rounds before having to make a decision, which seemed a little unfair since everyone else is keeping their cards. Despite this we started with the next person in line, but we would like to get a ruling. Thnaks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Karl:

You played it right.

It's "continuous" because you aren't stopping and restarting, as you suggest, but continuing to deal to each player in sequence. So you don't deal immediately to a clear hand.

This does mean, as you note, that a player who clears his hand goes one full round without making a decision or taking a risk (on the next pass that player always gets a card to his empty stack).

Is it unfair? No, it's just one of the benefits of clearing your hand. It would be unfair if the option were't available to everyone.

Glad you're enjoying Continuous, and I hope you'll download the Pairs Companion and try some of the other variants. I think they are all pretty good.

Thanks,

James Ernest

http://hippocketgames.com/pairs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Hattan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CheapassJames wrote:
Karl:

You played it right.

It's "continuous" because you aren't stopping and restarting, as you suggest, but continuing to deal to each player in sequence. So you don't deal immediately to a clear hand.

This does mean, as you note, that a player who clears his hand goes one full round without making a decision or taking a risk (on the next pass that player always gets a card to his empty stack).

Is it unfair? No, it's just one of the benefits of clearing your hand. It would be unfair if the option were't available to everyone.

Glad you're enjoying Continuous, and I hope you'll download the Pairs Companion and try some of the other variants. I think they are all pretty good.

Thanks,

James Ernest

http://hippocketgames.com/pairs

So this question came up for me last week (my players didn't seem to spot it luckily) - when a player catches a pair, do they just take the points, and keep playing with the hand they had before the pair?

Or do they get to clear their hand too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.