Subject: Hill Giant - Worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Simple question, what is this thing and is it worth blowing $30 american on it?

At this point, it's only available if you pre-order from a B&M store or from DoW online. Of course, this costs most of us about $30 more then it would just getting it from a discount online store. Now, since not all of us have a ton of money to blow on games, paying an extra $30 is a serious thing here. So, what is this thing gonna do, and is it worth it? Anyone got any info on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd rather be gaming...
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each promotional Creature package will include a plastic Hill Giant Creature figure with a banner, a special terrain hex depicting the Giant’s Lair, and 3 summary cards, all wrapped in a blister package. That's all I know.

- Ozvortex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick answer... yes.

(Cause you know you'll be dissappointed when everyone else has it except you. )

Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd rather be gaming...
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of interest, the Hill Giant figure will be 40mm tall from the bottom of the base to the top of the head. There is also an Earth Elemental figure that will be available at conventions I understand. I believe Days of Wonder are planning further releases of individual monsters. Apparently in the individual figure blister pack expansions you also get a summary card, plus a cardboard terrain piece that is the lair of the creature. Thankfully this is not a collectable miniatures game so you know what you will get when you purchase it.

- Ozvortex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DOW is supposed to release info about the Hill Giant in the next couple of weeks. Then you can decide for yourself if it worth it. Though I prefer to order online also, I am plan on sucking it up and either buying from a friendly (not so) local gaming store or DOW directly.

Since this game is only going to grow with perpetually expansions and blister packs, DOW has to build a foundation at the local level. I would imagine that trying to purchase every expansion would be too difficult online as the shipping would kill you on a monthly basis. Or your option would be to wait every few months to purchase everything that has been released and maximize S&H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe DoW said that there will be plenty of Earth Elemental's to go around.

Will there be a release every month?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schoemaker
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time DOW customer I'm pretty upset at the fact that I can't purchase this game from the store I want in order to get the Giant. I typically use ThoughtHammer... a store which has sold tons and tons of DOW product if the posters on this site are to be believed. But if I show them some loyalty and buy it there then I cannot get the Giant.

Huh? It's just plain stupid. I hate these special collectible can-only-get-it if you stand on your head and dance a jig in X town on Y date stuff. I see "heroscape" all over again with their special figures only available to those who have the luxury of spending their vacation at GenCon.

I listened the interview of the owners and this is almost diametrically opposed to the philosophy they were expousing about "collectible" games. Its a game, its a component to the game... for pete's sake why is my money not as good as someone who buys the game anywhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don.
Don, they are trying to give people incentive to buy from the VERY, VERY important FLGS. The local, brick 'n' mortars can't compete price-wise with the online retailers, so this helps them sell copies.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I realize that it may cost you more than you wish, or that you think you may have to do without the figure (which is untrue, because DoW already stated the "exclusives" will be readily and abundantly available)...
You will just have to get over it.
Thoughthammer will forgive you.

I am tired of people thinking this is some kind of scam on DoW's part...

WE MUST DO SOMETHING TO SUPPORT THE FLGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Don ~

The Hill Giant is not integral to the game. It's an accessory, an extra. No matter that online merchants have sold good quantities of games, local retailers still sell the majority of board games that have high print runs. That's the most important market. The casual gamer. The drive-by shopper. The impulse buyer. The gamer who loves to shop locally. The newbie who needs that touchie-feelie impression. The gamers who wouldn't have ever looked at a board game except they saw it being demo'd at their local store.

DoW has an obligation to support the venues that move the vast majority of their products, local merchants. By giving them something extra it evens the playing field. Online deep discounters are unique because they sell cheap. Now, with BattleLore, local merchants have something unique to offer.

Ask your local retailer if they have a preorder discount or something. The solution is to figure out what you need to do to get that Hill Giant, if you want it. Complaining about DoW doesn't get you the model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
WE MUST DO SOMETHING TO SUPPORT THE FLGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of us...

Why again must we?

We can't keep Walmart out of our towns, we are certainly not going to win this battle... Capitalism and all...

BTW, when I say "we" I certainly don't mean me. I find local stores obnoxious. For the convenience of spending 20% more I get to wade through a crowd of stinky people playing Dragonball-Z to try to find what I came looking for, then if they do happen to have it I get to try to decipher which of those aforementioned people is supposed to be working the counter.

The only thing local stores really offer is tournaments which are only good because they are a step up for all those people with no friends who play games online as at least there is actual human contact involved...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hensley
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you, OgreKing. I prefer to make my purchases at Thoughthammer, too, and now I'm scrambling to find a local place that has reasonable prices (hard to do) so that I can get the Hill Giant. I faced the same problem with the exclusive HeroScape figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
See, the problem with that is that some of us (like me) don't HAVE a FLGS. The local game store is a store that sells games at Canadian MSRP or higher, which is obscene. Think like $65 for Ticket to Ride. And believe me, the exchange rate is VERY good these days. And they offer nothing in the way of extra services to offset this higher cost.

In essense, this little Hill Giant is worth about 30% or so of the MSRP of the game, because I can buy the game elsewhere for a reasonable price, and not get fucked around by some store. My question was, is this thing worth that much? Is it worth like $30?

It seems right now that since we don't know anything about it except how to get it, we'll have to wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game gonna be playable without it? Yep.

Could you probably make up your own 'Giant's Lair' tile and impress some other D&D-ish figure that's roughly 40mm tall into use as a substitute? Sure.

Are the basic rules for the thing going to get discussed pretty thoroughly here on BGG, so you'll know how to use it in the game even if you don't own the "official" figure? Probably.

It's a hunk of plastic and a cardboard tile. So, unless DoW is planning to sponsor some "Grand BattleLore Tournament" with a huge cash prize, and you absolutely HAVE to have the figure to have a chance of winning...

I'd say that $30 is an awful lot of money for some silly hunk of plastic and a cardboard tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh come on with the whinning!!

You don't have FLGSs in your area and you don't think that some people cannot order from thoughthammer and such just because they are abroad and the shipping costs are HUGE!

And then you get Battleball for 5$ at toysRus!

DOW wants to support the local retailers, fine by me and actually applause by me. If you really want the Hill giant, go buy it. If you don't want to spent your money, buy online. It's not like its a super rare card or something!

BTW, if you want to complain about DOW, complain about DOW and not the FLGS. Just respect some people who have spent a lot of days chatting and gaming in the FLGS and actually like it there. And yes we have personal lives, and yes we bathe sometimes.

To hell with the stereotypes...........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can someone give me the link to where i can pre-order this on DOW's website ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
can someone give me the link to where i can pre-order this on DOW's website ?

Can't yet. DoW says first half of October:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=8317&start=0&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schoemaker
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it whining if I publicly state that as a purchaser of DOW products I do not agree with their marketing scheme?

If I'm running a business I want to know if my clients are upset about something... not just have them walk away muttering under their breath. I did it "publicly" because I'm hoping others might speak up and DOW might have a change of heart if enough folks do so.

I like their games, I appreciate their hard work and excellent products, but I don't agree with this whole if you do X or attend Y down the road you too can get a "special figure". Heroscape does it and I've always had the same thoughts - it leads to scalping figures on e-bay. During the audio show they made a big deal out of the fact that this was not a "collectible" game. Call it what you may this action makes the game a "collectible". So will any "special limited releases" at events or conventions.

FYI This is not an on-line vs. brick and mortar issue. I have an FLGS and I support them. But they doesn't usually carry euro-games because Toys R'US and Wallmart kills him on them and he ends up with excess stock - Gangs of NY for $15.00? He didn't even know about the program and wasn't interested in participating, even though I offered to pay for it upfront.

If DOW doesn't want me to buy it from an on-line retailer then why are they selling to the online vendor at a cost that can't be beat? DOW could just charge the on-lines a higher price, forcing them to sell at retail (or close to it) but DOW made the decision not to do that. I've seen stores that have a B&M storefront offering a similar price reduction for web purchases AND the figure... so whose fooling who here?

Finally, I've never seen my FLGS advertise here on the Geek. Who do you think supports the Geek more, my FLGS or Thoughthammer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OgreKing wrote:
I like their games, I appreciate their hard work and excellent products, but I don't agree with this whole if you do X or attend Y down the road you too can get a "special figure"... Call it what you may this action makes the game a "collectible".

Agreed on this point. For those of us who like a game and want to acquire most/all of it that we want, I do find this annoying... and I hate paying extra to find "that rare piece". Honestly, this is what turned me off to HeroScape (I had everything before Nerak, few things after).

For those that counter the argument that all of the stats will be available and you can find an appropriate substitute... yes, that's true. However, it doesn't quite "feel" the same or work as well... Call it a character flaw. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist.

I can understand the thoughts/reasoning behind this: let's give the FLGSs extra motivation to demo it, so that people will buy it from their locals when they visit ("Hey neat game, cool demo, but I'll wait and get it where it's cheaper... Wait, what, free exclusive figure?!?... Hmmm, the game IS heavy, cost difference with shipping plus extra figure... oh, I'll just get it here").

Unfortunately, since it's a pre-order, how many FLGSs will have demoes? Probably very few, if any at all. So, it's only available for those who do the research. And those of us will know about this and be in this dilemma ("Is this thing worth the extra $20-30 to get it from my FLGS?").

As long as they release the figure 6-8 months later at a reasonable price for the entire public to consume, I have no problems with it. You're paying extra to purchase the game (with a bonus figure) ahead of time. Unfortunately, no one seems to know if they will release the figure in six months. And I doubt we'll find out, since I assume the majority of people would not pay extra (by pre-ordering) and just wait for it.

That's why the whole thing is kinda sneaky/shady on DoW's part. As stated, the FLGSs haven't done a thing wrong, I think some of the community is just little frustrated by DoW on this one (since this is hitting a community as which has been burned by MK and, to a lesser degree, HS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I wasn't whinning. The original question was to find out if anybody knew anythging about this thing so I can decide if it's worth blowing $30 on.

My second post was in response to DWTripp's comments. I was pointing out that many of us have no FLGS to support, and therefore all we're doing by trying to get this thing is throwing away $30 or some odd more dollars into DoW's face. Well I agree with this in principle, it might be nice if there were otherways to get this thing. Some of us don't have money to blow, and need to be careful about our purchases.

Anyway, this is going dangerously off topic, so I'll stick back to my original point and say tell us wtf this thing is DoW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shryke wrote:

My second post was in response to DWTripp's comments. I was pointing out that many of us have no FLGS to support, and therefore all we're doing by trying to get this thing is throwing away $30 or some odd more dollars into DoW's face. Well I agree with this in principle, it might be nice if there were otherways to get this thing. Some of us don't have money to blow, and need to be careful about our purchases.

Right. Well, most of this has been discussed already on another thread. DoW is making the model avialable at their website for those with no local store. So if you really boil the "issue" down what you get is people who want the Hill Giant AND a 30% discount. Comments about stinky gamers and crowds are red herring smoke screens that are tossed out to mask personal greed and avarice.

Similar commentary to this was bandied about here on BGG some time ago about the price of Hannibal:Rome vs. Carthage and that essentially AH was evil because they own the rights and won't reprint.

On a personal level I completely understand why someone would want the discount and the miniature. But if that's not the package being offered then it really does boil down to whining and calling a publisher sneaky because they didn't also hand-deliver a signed copy to your door.. and then buy you dinner.

To address the poster who's local merchant "Isn't interested" in participating in the DOW promo event all I have to say is maybe that guy already has more than enough money. Why turn down sales & profit? I wouldn't shop there. I called one of the local stores here, emailed them the link to the game, told them I'd be thrilled to get the game from them and they have created a pre-order discount and have set-up their copies with a distributor. The whole thing took me about 5 minutes to do.

So... I get the game, the Hill Giant and a discount... isn't DOW a great company? I think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm much more annoyed that I will have to go to a con to get the Earth Elemental. That is absolutely not an option for many people, so they just have to miss out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
The earth elemental is supposed to be readily available. They said there's enough that it shouldn't be hard to find, but we shall see.

ANd as I said before, although I don't LIKE how this thing works, I understand why they're doing it and it's there game so whatever.

My main question was, since you can get this game WAY cheaper if you don't want the figure, is the figure worth the extra cost of pre-ordering this thing through a B&M or DOW to get it?

And since at this point, apparently we know nothing about it, I guess I asked far too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We will find some ways to get the Earth Elemental to people in far away places where no Conventions can be had (then again, what do you know? I will be in Australia in January 2007 )

Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Cool, thanks for the news Eric.

Now hook us up with free copies.

Please?

Me love you long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:
BTW, when I say "we" I certainly don't mean me. I find local stores obnoxious. For the convenience of spending 20% more I get to wade through a crowd of stinky people playing Dragonball-Z to try to find what I came looking for, then if they do happen to have it I get to try to decipher which of those aforementioned people is supposed to be working the counter.

The only thing local stores really offer is tournaments which are only good because they are a step up for all those people with no friends who play games online as at least there is actual human contact involved...

Sorry Ogre King and sorry Shryke,

This post took me over the edge.

Soz again but i was just not in a good mood yesteray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.