Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
sasigns wrote:
can some one explain what a MOBAs is?

Wikipedia covers it pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_online_battle_arena

a player controls a single character in one of two teams. The objective is to destroy the opposing team's main structure with the assistance of periodically spawned computer-controlled units that march forward along set paths. Player characters typically have various abilities and advantages that improve over the course of a game and that contribute to a team's overall strategy.

Generic map of a MOBA genre game. Yellow lines are the "lanes" where action is focused; blue dots are the defensive "towers/turrets" that defend them; orange quarter circles are the teams' bases; and blue corners are the structures whose destruction claims victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Examples include: DOTA (Defense of the Ancients), LOL (League of Legends), DOTA 2, HOTS (Heroes of the Storm), and HON (Heroes of Newerth).

Apparently all MOBAs must go by an acronym. From here on out Rum and Bones will be called RAB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
Examples include: DOTA (Defense of the Ancients), LOL (League of Legends), DOTA 2, HOTS (Heroes of the Storm), and HON (Heroes of Newerth).

Apparently all MOBAs must go by an acronym. From here on out Rum and Bones will be called RAB.

Why not RnB?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
RnB, eh? That's an interesting proposition.

My mind's tellin' me "no"...but my body...my body's tellin' me "yes"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would do CMoN well to have some of the above information on the project, explaining what a MOBA is and how they play out.

If their audience is under 30, the acronym and play style might be well known. For an audience over 28, there's a greater chance that people will have to google the definitions. Having to do research for what the definitions used to describe a game are will turn people off. Reviews for how it goes, reading other people's thoughts on the game? Sure, they'll do that, but if you don't understand the terminology for what the game is about? It'll turn people away. "What the hell is a MOBA? This is just like LOL and ROTA? I never heard of those board games."

Of course, yes, I'm generalizing the age groups, not trying to offend if you are, but this information SHOULD be on their page. Having this thread on BGG is proof that not everybody is in the know (I clicked because I didn't know, and I'm .... huh... apparently I'm now 37... so that's what that cake was about!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:

Smite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
Crabbok wrote:

Smite?

I always heard that one called "S".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.