SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think this is just a load of photos of Japanese people standing behind small tables, yup, that's largely it.

Firstly, my inestimable thanks to Simon and Mandy, who both have driven my desire to its successful fulfillment. I've wanted to be in Tokyo for some twenty years, and finally made it. Going to the Tokyo Games Market (TGM) was my excuse, and Mandy and Simon poured lavish fuel on the fire. Mandy is a wonderful and generous host, before and after the show. Simon gave so much time to translate for me, without his help I'd have been all at sea.

Thank you also to Goran, Brandon, Glaya and the rest who answered all my questions, and helped me prepare for the trip and for the show. Great thanks to SmooxChen who rescued me by stowing my Ikea bag during the show, and to Helen who helped carry one of my bags back. And if I neglected to thank you, then thank you. This was genuinely a dream come true.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I went to the Tokyo Games Market held at the Tokyo Big Sight on Sunday 16th November 2014. It was staggering. Really intense, very quick and easy to get in, slightly baffling to navigate, very noisy, very friendly, hard work and delightful. Here are my photos and I'll start adding comments in time.

In fact, the people behind the tables were not necessarily the game designers, but more often their friends and helpers. The tables were in blocks of aisles, with a set of demo tables out front at right angles (effectively at my back). That's where the designer often was, demoing the game.

The chap with the orange shoes is Simon, who's brought us reports from TGM these past years and is a constant support to Japanese games.

And this extremely generous kind person is Mandy Tong with her new game Minotaur Max.

This is Hisashi Hayashi, of String Railway, Trains and now Rolling Japan glory.

And just to repeat, here's my haul:
Some non-game stuff I brought back.

Three boxes by airmail, 3kg, 8kg and 9kg.

Muled for Eric.

Muled for David.

Muled for Jonathan.

My personal TGM haul.

Bought from Sugorokuya.
  • [+] Dice rolls
david fillis
England
Southport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OFA - Only Frickin' Awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I...I think I want to cry. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great photos! They really capture that crazy event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your photos say it all! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

But why I didn't see our booths... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smoox wrote:

Your booths are right here!

Just zoom in and crop out Sheep & Thief

Also, smoox...are you and the other TBD people planning to attend Osaka Game Market next year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bwbollom wrote:
smoox wrote:

Just zoom in and crop out Sheep & Thief

Also, smoox...are you and the other TBD people planning to attend Osaka Game Market next year?

Good catch! Thanks! kiss
Some of them will be there including Moaideas Game Design, Homosapiens Lab, Big Fun Games (Board Game) and Aza Chen. I'm on the fence depending on if any publishers will be there to hunt for new titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smoox wrote:
Good catch! Thanks! kiss
Some of them will be there including Moaideas Game Design, Homosapiens Lab, Big Fun Games (Board Game) and Aza Chen. I'm on the fence depending on if any publishers will be there to hunt for new titles.

That's great to hear, thanks! Osaka is much closer to where I live, so unless something crazy comes up I'll be there. Hope to see you there too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for flying out all this way and sharing these games with everyone Ooh these pictures are awesome! Thank you!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this pic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smoox wrote:

Yes, well... I started doing all the table shots about 2pm ish and by the time I worked round to yours, it was already gone 5pm and everyone was packed up. I did get Bear on the other side of the halls. I missed a lot of the outside ones, Oink, Bakafire, I missed Kanai. There was a lot I missed. Next time, I'll be better prepared and get a lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwbollom wrote:

Crucially, you can see my blue Ikea bag, only half full but already weighing. Smoox let me stash it there which freed me up to take these photos. It really saved the day for me. I didn't plan ahead very well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Breeden
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how was the rest of the trip?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RBree wrote:
So how was the rest of the trip?

Some highlights are here: konnichiwa

My main problems were getting a blister under my foot. My big boots and thick socks did not go well with walking for hours in 20C. My second problem was not getting enough to eat. My third problem was constantly walking in the wrong direction.

Apart from that, it was absolutely fantastic. I did almost everything I wanted to do. I had a list and got lots of things ticked off. Highlight was getting to the 5th station on Mt Fuji, that was such a complete thrill. Second highlight was just getting to be in Tokyo. Even when I was tired and grumpy and limping, I would turn a corner and just be amazed again. For me, it was amazing in so many different ways. I loved it and I was heartbroken to leave, even though I was ready to leave.

Third highlight, I got to ride one of those electric toilets. It was in the National Museum, and I spent a wonderful 20 minutes having water sprayed up my bum, followed by hot air, then more water... Best fairground ride evar!!

Everything went very well under the circumstances. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have:
1. worn much lighter shoes
2. carried a compass
3. learnt enough Japanese to order food properly
4. organised my trip to put the TGM at the last weekend, not the first
5. use sea mail, not airmail for my parcels

Language in Tokyo was never a problem. Anyone I met was friendly and tried to help. The police were very helpful giving me directions. And I felt totally safe anywhere I went. Late one evening, I just walked the back streets near my hotel. It was so lovely, so peaceful and quiet, and I was thrilled to finally be there.

I reckon the whole trip, flight, room, food, games, shopping, came in about £2k, which is what I planned for. Next time, I can be more cost effective, and do the same in fewer days. I thoroughly recommend it as a trip, I had a superb time and came away exhausted and stuffed with memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n_r_a wrote:
Thank you for this pic!

Wow!! Nestorgames in Japan!! But not here!! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.