Eldritch Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 7 Players vs. Yig rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am going to do my best to recap what occured during this game. We played it several days ago and there was a lot going on... this post was mostly just to provide a brief overview, as I doubt many BGGers have had the chance to play a 7 player of eldritch horror against Yig.

Characters (sitting in this order): Charlie, Mark, Jim, Akachi,Jacqueline, Diane, and Lily. These were all chosen randomly. We also randomly rolled for our Elder One. No, I repeat NO characters died this game... it was... amazing.

2 Rumours: -
-First was the one that has 8 eldritch tokens. During reckonings you discard eldritch equal to half the # of gates on the board until it comes to 0 and investigators lose the game. This came out early in the south atlantic and was promptly shut down by Diana with clue help from Jacqueline.

-Second Rumour was the one that removes expedition spots until investigators lose. This rumour never came close to hurting us because it came out at the last possible moment. We simply ignored it.

First mystery: 4 randomly placed Eldritch tokens. Each token required 2 clues and an observation -1 to resolve. This was by far the most difficult of the mysteries and took us 9 or 10 rounds to complete. Jacqeline was the driving force for this one generating most of the clues and knocking out 3 of them herself.

Second Mystery: Children of Yig in Amazon. Lily Chen and Jim Culver combined forces to take this epic monster down in 2 turns. With a little help from Jacqueline swooping in to bestow some blessings.

Third Mystery: Yig special encounter cards on space 6 ? We needed to resolve 4 to win. This one was also solved in 2 turns (Just before Yig woke up). Jim, Lily, and Charlie all gathered here. Charlie had the urban guide which gave everyone +1 on all of these die rolls which was HUGE. The first turn all 3 succeeded. The 2nd turn Lily and Charlie failed, and Jim stepped in for success 4 which won us the game.

Yig was 1 doom away from waking when we won, and our final score was 2.

Most Valuable Players (from best to worse) and their accomplishments....

1. Jacqueline. What can I say other than she was the game MVP. We referred to her as the demi god. On turn one she picked up 2 spells from Arkham (the clue encounter spell, and blessing of isis), and the arcane tome. The following turn she rested and maganged to snag Plump the void. Once blessed she could easily roll 3+ successes on her spells. With the clue spell this meant an extra clue, and with isis it meant everyone on the space was blessed (not just one target). Jacqueline contributed clues to shut down a nasty rumour, solved the 1st mystery almost by herself, contributed to the 2nd mystery, and was flinging spells all game. Almost every turn she was using plumb the void to move someone, encountering clues from anywhere, or blessing people. Hands down, MVP.

2. Akachi. She really contributed nothing to the game other than closing gates. But boy did she close gates. I believe she sealed 7 in total, warping to the next as soon as one was shut. And she did it all with basically nothing other than the mists of releh, lucky ring, and hired muscle. No other investigator came close to her gate prowess and we would have been in big trouble without her help.

3. Lily Chen. Lily had a shaky start but ended up sealing 2 gates during the game. She also took out a handful of monsters, and dealt 7 of the 9 damage required to kill Children of Yig. She also helped put one eldritch token on the final mystery.

4. Charlie Kane. Shut down one gate, and added one eldritch to the final mystery. I have decided to put him at #4 simply because of the enormous amount of assets he was dishing out the entire game which made everything else possible. Every turn he was handing things out, and nearly depleted the entire asset deck. Early levelling up made us excel as the game went on. Also, Charlie's Urban Guide was clutch on the final mystery.

5. Jim Culver. Did not contribute much early, but came in huge late game. He was with Lily during the ordeal vs. Children of Yig in the Amazon. His +1 combat bonus plus and his shrivelling spell were huge. He also added 2 eldritch tokens to the final mystery and won us the game. It is also worth noting that he had the song of Shugguy artifact and used it more than once to remove problematic monsters from the game.

6. Diana. I debated on whether or not to give her last place. She did not level up nearly as well as many of the other characters and spent the game failing tests more often than passing. Although she did have 3 major accomplishments which landed her the #6 spot. First of all she closed the first rumour (albeit with all 4 clues delivered by Jacqueline). The turn after that she solved one of the four eldritch tokens for our 1st mystery (again with clues from Jacqueline). Later in the game she was plumbed to tunguska where she killed 3 cultists and the colour out of space with her ability. This was very important for us in quelling further loss of doom. Besides these accomplishments tho, Diana failed constantly and a lot of times was a hindrance for us.

7. Mark. Mark had so much promise.. he got the arcane scholar early and the artifact that lets you bump skills for sanity. By turn 6 or 7 he was extremely powerful. It just seemed he was always away from the action. Besides killing a few monsters and sealing a gate he never accomplished much to help us.

I believe we won this game for many reasons. 1. We constantly stayed on top of gates/rumours and never let them get out of control. 2.Nearly all the characters powered up quickly (much thanks to Charlie Kane). 3. We were able to retreat doom twice early in the game which turned about to be the difference in Yig not waking up. 4. The spells that Jacqueline randomly drew at the beginning were game changers. 5. They mythos deck had a few tentacle cards, but was far from the worst I have seen. 6. We won without having to deal with Yig waking up. 7. No one ever died!

Thanks for reading!

Again, our Final victory score was 2 for anyone out there that calculates this. The game took about 4 hours to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great and apparently satisfying game !

Thanks for the report, I enjoyed it.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Melsheimer
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report!
Great report! I've only played EH in two player mode so far, but it seems like it could be fun trying with a big group.

Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, great read.

4 hours for a 7 player game is excellent.

Congratulations on the win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks for the kind comments guys! Yes, 4 hours was MUCH quicker than we expected. I think this is mostly because all 7 players had played the game before and were familiar with what was going on. Also, Yig never woke up. If we would have fallen to 0 doom I think it would have added another 2 hours or so to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience playing against Yig a couple of times - if doom falls to 0 and you have to kill him, its not all that hard by the end of the game. We were so loaded for bear by the end that the first guy to attack him nearly killed him solo. The second attacker finished him off and the 3rd person in line would have done damage to kill him solo as well.

Next time I play against Yig I might bump up his stats a bit with a house rule or something.

I am interested to hear people's opinions who have actually had to fight him at the end - agree or disagree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ian,

I would agree with you. He really is not that difficult to kill at the end. He is the only elder one that I do not really fear the awakening. I think we still would have prevailed if he was able to wake up. I was just happy he didn't wake up this game, because it really would have drug out the game! Also, you never know what mythos might come up during those extra few turns it would have taken to kill Yig.

Side note... I have seen a lot of people on BGG say that Yig is the most difficult elder one. After countless sessions of this game I would disagree. I believe that Shub Niggurath is the hardest to defeat. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost to Shub.

Another side note... The more players you have, the easier it is to control Yigs reckoning of adding cultists to expeditions... so he may actually be a tad bit easier as you add players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep_Purple wrote:
Ian,

I would agree with you. He really is not that difficult to kill at the end. He is the only elder one that I do not really fear the awakening. I think we still would have prevailed if he was able to wake up. I was just happy he didn't wake up this game, because it really would have drug out the game! Also, you never know what mythos might come up during those extra few turns it would have taken to kill Yig.

Side note... I have seen a lot of people on BGG say that Yig is the most difficult elder one. After countless sessions of this game I would disagree. I believe that Shub Niggurath is the hardest to defeat. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost to Shub.

Another side note... The more players you have, the easier it is to control Yigs reckoning of adding cultists to expeditions... so he may actually be a tad bit easier as you add players.

Yeah we started with 7 players last time we beat him and ended up with 5 players by the end of the session - I just adjusted the game down accordingly as people got devoured and decided to leave early or whatever.

We had pretty much no problem at all wiping out any cultists that showed up at the expedition site. That probably would have been much harder to deal with in a 3 or 4 player game .... we had 7 players for about 85% of the session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lily Chen and Norman Withers usually turn themselves into gigantic ass-kickers/gate closers by the end of the game with their stat improving abilities an stat improving starting spells.

I usually play Charlie Kane - he is such an awesome support person - you can really get people boosted up and kicking doors down quickly with all his influence and the ability to hand stuff out all over the world.

Silas Marsh becomes super useful when playing against Cthulhu and all the crap Cthulhu does to the sea lanes. Otherwise he is still pretty nice to keep down in the ocean area moving around and working the bottom third of the board where nobody usually wants to go.

Some of the others are really useful and some not so useful.

Diana Stanley is my least favorite because all her abilities deal with cultists and we go lonnnnng stretches of time without seeing any cultists and they are so weak to start with, so she may not get to use her abilities all game long.

I think she might need a house rule of some sort to make her playable versus other characters with similar stats. I wish she had 1 cultist ability and another non-cultist ability, so you could do something with her during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kinsman
Japan
flag msg tools
Last time I played Akachi she failed to close a single gate despite 5+ attempts. Eventually she gave up and tried to do some minor stuff, she failed at that too. When another player rolled a one on his Dark Pact, and could choose another player to become devoured, I didn’t even mind, I was grateful. I restarted with Diana and accomplished more in her first turn than Akachi had all game.

I'm never picking Akachi again! Glad she worked out for you though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Along the same lines... Diana also really suffers from having 1 willpower. Not only is this a necessary stat for combat, it is also a common stat for testing to close gates. There are not many assets that bump your base willpower (only 1 I believe - vatican missionary), so this is a difficult thing to fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep_Purple wrote:
Along the same lines... Diana also really suffers from having 1 willpower. Not only is this a necessary stat for combat, it is also a common stat for testing to close gates. There are not many assets that bump your base willpower (only 1 I believe - vatican missionary), so this is a difficult thing to fix.

Oh yeah - I didn't notice that about her ... good observation.

Quote:
Last time I played Akachi she failed to close a single gate despite 5+ attempts. Eventually she gave up and tried to do some minor stuff, she failed at that too. When another player rolled a one on his Dark Pact, and could choose another player to become devoured, I didn’t even mind, I was grateful. I restarted with Diana and accomplished more in her first turn than Akachi had all game.

I'm never picking Akachi again! Glad she worked out for you though.

Yeah I tried player her once or twice. I found that it was great that she could go from gate to gate, but she wasn't amazing at closing gates compared to other characters with better stats or the ability to pump their stats quickly.

I ended up not using her power part of the time and using it to go to clue spots more than the gates later on .... or failing to close a gate and being stuck there for several rounds.

I don't think she is as bad/useless as Diana, but she is pretty low on my selection list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ryan,

Sorry I didn't see your post when I replied about Diana. I have had extremely bad luck with Akachi in the past as well. This game I think she only did well due to getting the lucky ring early and a healthy dose of luck, but I usually fail a lot of gate attempts with her. I guess it is all hit or miss with these characters and dependent on how quickly you can level up.

I think if Akachi can get one useful stat booster she is pretty solid for closing gates (lucky ring, rabbits foot, or cig case). Otherwise her 2 points in 3/5 stats is pretty crappy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.