Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to beat the first cycle nightmare decks with only three core sets and the player cards from the first cycle?

Or would that just be impossible feat without the larger card pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two cores, all Mirkwood APs and Khazad-Dum, and I've yet to beat even Passage through Mirkwood nightmare. Granted, I've only tried about three times and I'm not a particularly skilled player, but I've never managed to come close enough to believe that it's even possible with my decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you have Khazad-Dum I'm going to assume it's just not even remotely possible.

I didn't know if it was a good way to extend these scenarios further or if I should just move on to Khazad-Dum once these are all played out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Porteous
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have beaten nightmare Passage Through Mirkwood and Journey Along The Anduin with 2 decks from just one core set. Passage is reasonable but Anduin was very hard. I also have nightmare Dol Guldur which i have beaten with my extended card pool, never with core set only. I did come close on one occasion, its doable but ultra hard.

Played through nightmare Gollum this evening for the first time, not too bad, beat it first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Experience is huge in this game.

Knowing what will come up and what to save certain cards is key to beating certain scenarios. So, is it possible? Yes.

Is it reasonable? Probably not.

Nightmare decks are just to extend the life or challenge yourself. I'd say to move on, unless you're stubborn or you want to get really good at understanding the game... or build decks specifically to tackle the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Reike
msg tools
I never tried with that card pool but at a glance 3 Core sets against the first 2 nightmares is not that bad. You have cancellation with a full set of dwarven tomb, 3 unexpected courage, combat control with 3 feints and 3 forest snares, resource acceleration with 3 steward of Gondor.

With that card pool imho just by adding Black Riders you can smooth out decks a bit with useful tools like dagger of Westernesse, elf-stone (for Gildor/Beorn/Landroval), maybe Sam or Merry to access those spheres with low threat. And you already have fast hitch and unexpected courage so lots of readying, killer especially against PtMN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcourtney wrote:
Is it possible to beat the first cycle nightmare decks with only three core sets and the player cards from the first cycle?

Or would that just be impossible feat without the larger card pool?

After a lengthy hiatus I'm back to playing the game, and decided to take up your challenge. Here are some decks (both a solo deck and a pair of 2p decks) that are up to the task:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17628939

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.