Subject: How about 8MEL, a year after? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas is coming, and I am thinking of purchasing 8MEL.

I would like to know some opinions about those of you who have had the game for a year.

I ask, because I am trying to get an idea of whether it would fit in my collection and the people I play with.

Games I own and play regularly in my group (6 players): Pathfinder the card game (now onto Skulls and Shackles), Lords of Waterdeep, Ghost stories, Pandemic, Dixit, Forbidden desert. Games that I own and play less often: Relic (the 40K Talisman game), Infiltration, Neuroshima Hex. I also play some games with my wife who is not into "gaming" per se: Lost cities, Hive.

My questions to you are:

1) Do you play this game more often with 2, 3 or 4 players?

2) Is there a replayability issue because it is supposed to be a "filler" game?

3) What niche of board gaming does this game fill? Do you use it only as a filler, or do you use all the variants and try to make it meatier?

Many thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on sale right now for $14.99 at Coolstuffinc.com... you should get it if you're even considering this great little game.

We play mostly two players, and always have an enjoyable experience. It scratches that euro game itch without having to drag out a more complicated game. Really cool card drafting mechanic with simple combat rules. We play it about twice a month and use several variants depending on our mood. Highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great little game, but you should definitely forget the "8 minutes" part.

Or, perhaps you should see it as "8 minutes per player", which is kinda realistic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I am not too much in a rush, while CSI has it, my local store has it as well, and I would rather my hard earned money go to my local store, although 50% off is tempting at CSI.

Good to hear that it remains played even after a while. So it has longevity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phanthomus wrote:
Great little game, but you should definitely forget the "8 minutes" part.

Or, perhaps you should see it as "8 minutes per player", which is kinda realistic

After watching the videos, i never thought that it would be 8minutes. My concern was really re-playability over time.

Without playing the game, it is hard to judge how often I or my friends, would be happy to play this before it runs out of steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy mechanics such as drafting, area control, set collecting and light engine building you can't go wrong with 8ME:L. It's very enjoyable, I'd compare it to Tikal in semi-filler format in a beautiful and cool setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Whitham
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's not that I don't like it, but I've played three times now and every time it's been completely forgettable. There's no "wow" moments (where something exciting happens), there's no "aha!" moments (where you or your friend pull off an unexpected feat). It's just a decent way of passing the time with 2, 3 or 4 people. The scoring at the end is especially flat as it turns out whatever happened on the board accounts for less than half of the final outcome (the set scoring is super powerful).

Also, it really does seem to drag sometimes due to analysis paralysis. My friends never seem to take long thinking during brainburning games like Game of Thrones but something about this game just makes them stop in their tracks.

Personally, I'm selling my copy and re-buying the game I hoped it could replace (Shogun, sold due to game length). In this time length I'd always rather play dominion, 7 wonders, or carcassone (all unrelated yes, but much more satisfying quick games!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Still play this game. The new expansion does 2 things awesome: new cards, and plays 5-6 Players.

This is basically a 20 minute Area Control game that has a random element that can either be awesome or put people off. I like the cards; set collection works well here.

Memorable? I don't remember every game I play. But I have never disliked playing this, literally ever. I find it fits a nice place in my collection for both style, size, time, and even art direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Paris
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phanthomus wrote:

To me, the game title is accurate. It's called Eight Minute Empire. You can build your empire in 8 minutes of your total turn time. Each player has their own empire, and each empire takes about 8 minutes to build. It's not "All Empires in Eight Minutes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D F Visker
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Amicis Inimicis Promptus
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the price-game quality balance is good. It's a nice filler game we play every now and then. It doesn't take much space, is easy to learn so it's a keeper for me. Oh, and I love the artwork, but that's a matter of taste ofcourse.

I think it plays better for 3 or more players then for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.