Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The low rating of Risk here on the 'geek is a bit of a sore point for me. I grew up with the UK version of the game which differs fairly majorly from the US version. Specifically the returns for cashing in Risk cards are fixed and the game features secret missions for each player. These two changes serve to make the game much shorter and rather more tactically interesting than the "world domination" variant sold in the US and which most 'geek users are rating. It's not a great game, sure, but it's better than the 4's and 5's than Risk generally seems to accrue.

On doing a little research I've discovered that there are rather more variations to the published Risk rules than I thought, depending on when and where you bought the game. I'd still maintain that "mission" Risk is the most interesting but there are other curious improvements to the basic world domination model in circulation such as the "capitals" variant in which the win is gained by taking one specific territory from each player.

Since these small rule changes do seem to result in games which differ markedly in their playability and strategic depth, I, for one, would like to see them catalogued a bit more accurately on the 'geek, especially considering all the monopoly variants, which are essenstially the same, seem to merit seperate entries. I think it'd make an interesting bit of game history too if they were all detailed seperately.

Anyone else interested?
Cheers,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My version, along with most others sold in the US, comes with the "world domination rules", the "secret mission rules", and the "capital rules". I don't think it would make sense to have seperate entries for each, as they all come in the same game (at least in some cases it seems). Many games come with beginner and advanced rules, but it's still the same game and so gets only one BGG entry. There are many Risk variants that clearly ARE different games, and they do have their own BGG entries- off the top of my head these would include:

Castle Risk
Risk Napoleon (and the ottoman expansion for this game)
Risk 2210
Risk GodStorm
Risk LOTR (the "trilogy version", the ripoff 1st edition with half the board! (yes the one I have), and the "expansion" with the other half of the board only sold overseas!)
Risk Clone Wars
Risk Original Trilogy Star Wars (not released yet)

Those games have, and imho merit, their own entries. I don't think it makes sense to have a different entry for every different printing of the base risk game. At the same time, I don't think every monopoly version merits it's own entry- that makes as much sense to me as having a different chess entry for every different type of chess set you can buy. Oh well.

Of course, I've never played British Risk. It may be more different than I think. If you think it is significantly different, submit it and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
My version, along with most others sold in the US, comes with the "world domination rules", the "secret mission rules", and the "capital rules". I don't think it would make sense to have seperate entries for each, as they all come in the same game (at least in some cases it seems).[/quote]

Fair enough, but I think you'll find that all-in packaging of variants in one box is quite new. Up until fairly recently the variant of Risk rules you got in the box was heavily dependent on where you purchased the game. But if Hasbro have now finally unified the editions, then it makes sense to keep one entry.

[q="prizziap"]Of course, I've never played British Risk. It may be more different than I think. If you think it is significantly different, submit it and see what happens.

From what I can gather the only difference now is that it's a mission variant but with one, tough mission instead of the four easier missions that come with the current set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My set is somewhere between 10 and 15 years old I think. The "secret missions" are only assigned one to each player. They are either:

-Eliminate all the pieces of color ______
-Conquer continent _____ and continent _________
-occupy however 15 (i think) territories with 2 armies each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.