15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: game set in Eastern Europe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Futral
msg tools
mbmb
Are there any games set in Eastern Europe or Romania? I've had this fascination with the region ever since I read a book set in Romania in 5th or 6th grade. I really dig the folklore and Vlad Tepes. Plus my best friend just married a guy from The Czech and they have recently moved back to The States. We've been hanging out a lot and I'm getting to be really good friends with him. I think it would be kind of fun to play a game in that setting. It does not really matter what kind it is or player number.

By the way the book was a modern day vampire novel called The Lost by Jonathan Aycliffe. I bought in an outlet store for like $3. Told in letter and note form like Dracula. It's got pretty bad reviews on Amazon but I've read it many times over the years and for some reason I really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does post communist Poland count? Kolejka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I can remotely think of is Fury of Dracula (second edition), but I think that it's out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The up coming game Scythe is an alternate steampunk history set in the 1920s around Poland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First to Fight is about WWII combat in Poland.

I Am Vlad: Prince of Wallachia is a fantasy game set in that region (more or less).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember two other games set in Poland:

7 Days of Westerplatte

Magnum Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also take a look at Warriors and Traders.

It has a double sided board: one for Western Europe and one for Eastern Europe. Was made by a Romanian company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 1989: Dawn of Freedom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Futral
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone! I honestly did not expect to see that many replies. I'm checking them out now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always do this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/10637/country-roman...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/6428/vampires

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/10638/country-czech...

Pete (shrugs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poland is not in Eastern Europe. Poland is in Central Europe.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 1989: Dawn of Freedom from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Poland is not in Eastern Europe. Poland is in Central Europe.

Eco
The United Nations at least seems to disagree with you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Europe
Quote:
The United Nations Statistics Division developed a selection of geographical regions and groupings of countries and areas, which are or may be used in compilation of statistics. In this collection, the following ten countries were classified as Eastern Europe: Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine. The assignment of countries or areas to specific groupings is for statistical convenience and does not imply any assumption regarding political or other affiliation of countries or territories by the United Nations. The United Nations' definition encompasses most of the states which were once under the Soviet Union's realm of influence and were part of the Warsaw Pact.

A little farther down, you can see:

Quote:
The term "Central Europe" is often used by historians to designate Germany and its eastern neighbors, and thus overlaps with "Eastern Europe." The following countries are often labeled Eastern European by some commentators and as Central European by others.

So I guess it depends on whom you ask. But you shouldn't give people a hard time for responding to this request with Poland references.

Pete (is sure there are other definitions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ales litvik
Czech Republic
Česká Lípa
flag msg tools
mb
I think this one might fit your request too, although most of the map consists of German lands and Austria. Thirty Years' War is an important part of Czech history.

Wallenstein (second edition)

And maybe this one: League of Six
1430, Lusatian League

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Futral
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. I was going to reply with this as well. I Googled European maps before I posted this and went by the UN definition. And like you said, I think it all depends upon who you ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.