Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, you can keep up with the ongoing world chess championship at the link below. I have no affiliation with chessbase, I just think this is cool news for chess fans. Enjoy!

http://www.chessbase.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Sievert
Sweden
Helsingborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also recommend this. It's a great match, and has started out much more exciting than most people expected.

If you really want to keep up, get the playchess program and observe the games in real time with many grandmasters commenting. Yasser Seirawan, Susan Polgar and Nigel Short are usually there. Even Kasparov showed up yesterday but didn't comment to the public channel. Seirawan also gives live audio comments showing possible developments on a virtual chess set.

It's really wonderful entertainment for a chess-lover. I would follow it all (usually 4-7 hours each day) if I didn't have my job and family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can follow the games for free here:
http://worldchess2006.com/main.asp?id=981

And Susan Polgar does online commentary on her blog along the way:
http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2006/09/game-4-moment-of-tru...

Yesterday's game was less than interesting, though, but today something is happening

Per

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game four is a draw.

So now it is Kramnik: 3 Topalov:1

Recapping;

Game 1: Win for Kramnik
Game 2: Win for Kramnik
Game 3: Draw
Game 4: Draw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 5 is a forfeit for Topalov.

Potty-gate!

The psychological meta-gaming is in full swing. Accusations of using the bathroom too much, counter-accusations about bias amongst the appeals committee. Hopefully the match will continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Sievert
Sweden
Helsingborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the current development of this match both hilarious and sad at the same time. Check out the link above to Susan Polgars site for good coverage of the story. I wish she and Yasser Seirawan were the worlds best players, instead of some fragile people who argue about nonsense.

Somewhere I read that Capablanca was completely immune to such psychological tricks. Those were the days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 6 is a draw. This makes the score 3.5-2.5
I think game 5 is still under protest, but ruled as a forfeit for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, I am not very familiar with the organizations involved(only recognizing the FIDE name), but I can't help but feel the bias in the toilet issue ruling resulting in the stolen point for Topalov. Yes, this may be reversed at some point, but hasn't been yet. I'm pulling for Kramnik to win the match.

If anyone is interested you can watch a relay of the game live on freechess.org. The matches start at 6am CST and can last quite a while. The first match was 6 1/2 hours, but I enjoyed it. I waiting for a match to fall on Saturday again so I can do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 7 draw.
Game 8 win for Topalov

Match tied 4-4.

Bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 9 to Topalov
Game 10 to Kramnik

match tied 5:5 with two games left...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 11 is a draw. Match is tied at 5.5 - 5.5 with one regular game remaining. Oh, the drama!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 12 draw - match tied 6:6

Four Rapid Tie-break games:
Game 1 - draw
Game 2 - Kramnik
Game 3 - Topalov
Game 4 - Kramnik

Kramnik wins and is now the unified world chess champion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I lost my live feed in the middle of the third tie-breaker. And since the Internet chess world seems to be temporarily in the midst of traffic overload, the only news I've been able to garner is the Kramnik victory. At least I hope the result is accepted with equanimity (despite the controversy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new to chess, but am interested in learning more. How would this championship match compare to others in the past? Is the quality of play better now than 20 or 50 years ago?

What websites or books would you recommend to find replays and analysis of some the most interesting games in past world championships?

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also found interesting the place where the match took place. You can check it out here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmykia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can anyone confirm a rumor that Kasparov is planning to return to competition? I thought I saw an article somewhere the other day but now cannot seem to find it. I may have been dreaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, I'm not an expert on the subject of Kasparov's retirement but as far as I know he has not expressed any interest in returning to serious competitive chess. He's very involved now in politics. However, in August 2006 (I think it was) he did play in a blitz tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.chessgames.com has an amazing array of games on file, analysis is spotty and of debatable quality.

http://www.chessbase.com/ has what looks to me like very good analysis of the just completed championship match.

I really can't comment on quality of play today versus 50 or 100 years ago. I've read that Kasparov has had the highest rating ever recorded. I've also read that some consider Bobby Fischer to be the best ever. It seems to me a bit like arguing over the greatest baseball player. The game of baseball has changed over time, from the dead ball era to the age of steroids, it make it hard to compare players from different eras. Chess has also gone through phases - it's tough to say what would happen if Paul Morphy played Garry Kasparov. But my guess is that players are generally getting better, simply because the body of published chess knowledge has grown larger. I don't think Morphy had ever seen a Nimzo-Indian defense, therefore Kasparov would likely win. But if you could transplant Morphy in time to the present and have him grow up with the same body of knowledge available, then who would win? Impossible to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby Fischer has to be the best player because he was never defeated in a championship match. He also claims that many games against the Russians were "fixed" in that Bobby would play person A, who was well rested, while B and C (both Russian) played a quick 1 hour match where one resigned early. This allowed the Russian player to be well-rested for the next day’s match against Fischer, after Fischer played a straight 8 hours. Needless to say, Fischer still won his matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah but wasnt Fischer a bit of a nutcase? He used to think there were all sorts of conspiracies against him. Just like Topalov thought Kramnic had a chess supercomputer in his toilet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colleens wrote:
Bobby Fischer has to be the best player because he was never defeated in a championship match. He also claims that many games against the Russians were "fixed" in that Bobby would play person A, who was well rested, while B and C (both Russian) played a quick 1 hour match where one resigned early. This allowed the Russian player to be well-rested for the next day’s match against Fischer, after Fischer played a straight 8 hours. Needless to say, Fischer still won his matches.

Fischer won one championship match and then refused to defend his title. I still think he was a fantastic player, easily in the top 5 all-time. However, I would not say that he has to be the best. I think you have to consider Kasparov, Capablanca, Morphy, and Tal as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gpruitt wrote:
colleens wrote:

Fischer won one championship match and then refused to defend his title. I still think he was a fantastic player, easily in the top 5 all-time. However, I would not say that he has to be the best. I think you have to consider Kasparov, Capablanca, Morphy, and Tal as well.

Rightfully so. FIDE was allowing the Russians to cheat in the matches against him. He didn't refuse to defend his title, he refused to stand for the unethical behavior FIDE is known for.

Fischer is a quack. He thinks the Halocaust never happened. He an anti-semite, yet he is half Jewish himself. My mom ate dinner with him once, when she won the US women's championship. She said he was actually quite boring. Nonetheless, he clearly is the best player having never been outright beat by anyone.

Morphy was great for theory, Tal for being possibly the world's greatest tactition, Capablanca for allowing chess players to make the crudest remarks to women players as though his games incite some kind of sick romanticism (speaking, sadly, from experience), and Kasparov for all around solid play. But Fischer still easily wins all-time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Auld
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
b5mith wrote:
Yeah but wasnt Fischer a bit of a nutcase? He used to think there were all sorts of conspiracies against him. Just like Topalov thought Kramnic had a chess supercomputer in his toilet

There's no doubt that Fischer was a nut. His rantings about worldwide conspiracy are legendary. However, as the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you:

http://www.ishipress.com/bobbystory.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002-11-18-bobby-fischer...
http://www.voy.com/122776/3/1061.html

In any case, all this talk about whether Fischer is/was the "best" player ever is just so much hot air. It's ridiculous for low or unranked players such as myself, who can't even understand the motivations behind half of the moves in an average master-level chess match, to comment confidently on which is the better of two super-GMs who never even played each other once, like Fischer and Kasparov. And it's just nonsensical to compare a great chessplayer at the dawn of chess praxis to someone like Fischer or Kasparov, playing with the benefit of a hundred years of modern chess theory.

Not that I don't understand the fascination Fischer holds for many Americans -- in a game dominated by fantastic players from other countries, it's probably natural to fixated on the one modern superplayer from your own nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.