Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Black Panther Wakanda chief card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W C
msg tools
mb
Hi,
I recently got this card that says the following:

Black Panther can only attack if your opponent has a character in the field.


What's the purpose of this card? To be comboed with a card that says target character cannot block this turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of a few ideas.

Black Panther is cheap. That version costs 4 to buy, at most 1 to field. That's damn cheap to hit for 8, so it comes with a downside - you can't hit your opponent without them having the option to block... usually.

Yeah, just use Relentless to prevent blocking, or pull their only blocker(s) with Deadpool and/or Spider-Man "Webslinger", or follow Black Panther up with his wife, Storm - "Goddess of the Plains", since she has a chance to get rid of all potential blockers before they are declared.

There's a few ideas to get you started. Certainly, there are plenty more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiroi98 wrote:
What's the purpose of this card? To be comboed with a card that says target character cannot block this turn?


But even if an opponent's character was made unable to block, they would still have one in the field, correct? So Black Panther would still be unable to attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
Shiroi98 wrote:
What's the purpose of this card? To be comboed with a card that says target character cannot block this turn?


But even if an opponent's character was made unable to block, they would still have one in the field, correct? So Black Panther would still be unable to attack.

Black Panther Wakanda Chief can only not attack if the doesn't have a character fielded, not if they do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Quoting the card, "Black Panther can only attack if your opponent has a character on the field."

Does my opponent have a character?
If no, Black Panther cannot attack.
If yes, Black Panther can attack. Afterwards, I can do whatever I want to prevent my opponent's character(s) from defending. 8 attack in the face hurts like hell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Black Panther Wakanda Chief can only not attack if the doesn't have a character fielded, not if they do.



galathonredd wrote:
Does my opponent have a character?
If no, Black Panther cannot attack.
If yes, Black Panther can attack. Afterwards, I can do whatever I want to prevent my opponent's character(s) from defending. 8 attack in the face hurts like hell.

I prefer this explanation! So it is a timing issue in terms of declaring the attacker, then using effects to make the opponent's characters unable to block.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
So it is a timing issue in terms of declaring the attacker, then using effects to make the opponent's characters unable to block.


You could also use Thrown Car or something like that. Black Panther's attack is big; if your opponent's only characters are small, then Thrown Car will make sure some of his damage gets through regardless.

Surely there will be other good uses for him, as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Black Panther Wakanda Chief can only not attack if the doesn't have a character fielded, not if they do.


Look again at what you posted:

slimo wrote:
But even if an opponent's character was made unable to block, they would still have one in the field, correct? So Black Panther would still be unable to attack.


If my opponent has a character on the field then my Wakanda Chief is not "unable to attack".

He would only be unable to attack if my opponent did not have a character in the field.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
slimo wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Black Panther Wakanda Chief can only not attack if the doesn't have a character fielded, not if they do.


Look again at what you posted:

slimo wrote:
But even if an opponent's character was made unable to block, they would still have one in the field, correct? So Black Panther would still be unable to attack.


If my opponent has a character on the field then my Wakanda Chief is not "unable to attack".

He would only be unable to attack if my opponent did not have a character in the field.


Can every please stop with the double negatives???? My head is about to burst trying to keep up with the conversation soblue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wakanda Chief is also great to bait a blocker. He can KO practically anybody he'd go up against andcan easily be knocked out by anything bigger than a sidekick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thompson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
I can think of a few ideas.

Black Panther is cheap. That version costs 4 to buy, at most 1 to field. That's damn cheap to hit for 8, so it comes with a downside - you can't hit your opponent without them having the option to block... usually.

Yeah, just use Relentless to prevent blocking, or pull their only blocker(s) with Deadpool and/or Spider-Man "Webslinger", or follow Black Panther up with his wife, Storm - "Goddess of the Plains", since she has a chance to get rid of all potential blockers before they are declared.

There's a few ideas to get you started. Certainly, there are plenty more.


Or you could just send out multiple BP dice at once.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Battles
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
To answer OP's question, the card should have been written like this:

Black Panther can only be declared as an attacker if your opponent has a character in the field.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rizzo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Depending on their team, their first guy out might not be someone they're willing to block with, ie Human Torch, or a Loki they rushed out etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.