Does anyone have any preferred 2-player rules for this game?
NFHS Football & Basketball
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
There have been several good systems. I haven't tried many myself, though.
However, when I am stuck playing 2 players, this is the way we generally play:
- Each player takes 2 races. Using the map in the book for 4 players, one player takes both the "top" spaces, the other takes the "bottom" spaces.
- All rules are done in the same "order" as normal.
- The game ends when any race reaches 10 points (or Imperium Rex is drawn). However, when the game ends, the race each player controls with the HIGHER point value is ignored; the winner is determined by the LOWER-point race that each player controls. This forces you to use both races, and not just focus on one. Ties are done just as if Imperium Rex was drawn.
- For politics, we've thought about maybe forcing each player to exhaust planets as they vote. However, there's still the trickiness of waiting until the opportune moment to play Political, as you want to wait until you can "win" the vote
- Any cards that refer to "neighbors" apply to either opponent, but never your own.
- You cannot "attack" yourself, and thus cannot enter systems where your other team has a fleet.
- You CAN "trade" with your other race, though rules regarding allowance by the other player are still in force (meaning often, you can't do it until YOU pick trade).
Those have worked reasonably well for us. Not nearly as fun as the full game, but it works.