Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem» Forums » Variants

Subject: Chicken Out Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Rech
Brazil
Santa Cruz do Sul
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing wrongly with a "Chicken Out" Rule:

When someone initiates a throwdown the defending player can move all his dudes from the site to his clubhouse, at no cost. If he was the Patch Owner he passes it to the 'winning' player.

I would like to hear some toughts about how this could be a problem, because it seems to me that it makes more sense and makes the game more dynamic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case the special benefit for the Niners would be pretty useless, I guess ;-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Rech
Brazil
Santa Cruz do Sul
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But you are not always going to 'chicken out', so the Niners could still use the benefit, when they want to stay and call for backup they still wouldn't spend any tokens.

Well, I'm going to try to play with the correct rules, of course. But I still can't see the issues of being able to run from a fight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joserech wrote:
But I still can't see the issues of being able to run from a fight.

You are already able to run from fights, unless you start a new round in the same location as another gang, and they have patch order on you, and go before you. Otherwise, I spend an Order to Ride to your Location, you can now do the same to move away, as I cannot Order a Throw Down until my next turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Rech
Brazil
Santa Cruz do Sul
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:

You are already able to run from fights, unless you start a new round in the same location as another gang, and they have patch order on you, and go before you. Otherwise, I spend an Order to Ride to your Location, you can now do the same to move away, as I cannot Order a Throw Down until my next turn.


Yes, that is true. I do understand the actual rules now, I was just wondering if it would not be more interesting if you could run from fights "as an answer" of another guy trying to initiate a Throwdown. That way he would spend one order to initiate the fight and another one if he wants to exploit the location right away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joserech wrote:
Yes, that is true. I do understand the actual rules now, I was just wondering if it would not be more interesting if you could run from fights "as an answer" of another guy trying to initiate a Throwdown. That way he would spend one order to initiate the fight and another one if he wants to exploit the location right away.

What if the Location had already been Exploited? Perhaps the initiator of the Throw Down wanted to rough up the other gang, even robbing them of a Member or two to give them fewer actions next turn, and not just control the Location for the next turn. In that case the initiator of the Throw Down has just lost an Action Token.

If you absolutely want to have a Chicken Out rule, I would have the fleeing gang lose at least a Prospect, if not a Member. Perhaps have them pay their Action Token, for fleeing, to the Gang that ordered the Throw Down, that would at least reimburse them.

You could game this system though, by fleeing and then Riding back again next turn, perhaps even with a larger gang of Dudes. I still don't see the need for the system.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Rech
Brazil
Santa Cruz do Sul
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:

What if the Location had already been Exploited? Perhaps the initiator of the Throw Down wanted to rough up the other gang, even robbing them of a Member or two to give them fewer actions next turn, and not just control the Location for the next turn. In that case the initiator of the Throw Down has just lost an Action Token.

If you absolutely want to have a Chicken Out rule, I would have the fleeing gang lose at least a Prospect, if not a Member. Perhaps have them pay their Action Token, for fleeing, to the Gang that ordered the Throw Down, that would at least reimburse them.

You could game this system though, by fleeing and then Riding back again next turn, perhaps even with a larger gang of Dudes. I still don't see the need for the system.


I see. That is a good reason to not allow players to run away!

It's not about wanting that rule, but I tought that it was working really well for the 4 games that we played. But I will try the right rules, and see what happens.

Thank you for your toughts! =)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran into this tonight. We thought it was strange that the rules very explicitly and in bold face tell you that you cannot retreat if you call in backup. To me that implies if you choose to not call in backup you CAN retreat. Is that mistaken, I take it, by the tone of this thread?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
We ran into this tonight. We thought it was strange that the rules very explicitly and in bold face tell you that you cannot retreat if you call in backup. To me that implies if you choose to not call in backup you CAN retreat. Is that mistaken, I take it, by the tone of this thread?


Don't take the sentence out of context. Under "calling for backup" the rules describe how you spend order tokens to move "Dudes" from other locations to the throwdown location. The rule you mention clarifies that you may not spend order tokens to move AWAY (=retreat) from the throwdown location.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
joserech wrote:
But I still can't see the issues of being able to run from a fight.

You are already able to run from fights, unless you start a new round in the same location as another gang, and they have patch order on you, and go before you. Otherwise, I spend an Order to Ride to your Location, you can now do the same to move away, as I cannot Order a Throw Down until my next turn.


Unless you are the Mayans... devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kimber
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The rules made it sound like you are supposed to use an order token to flee from a throw-down. We've been doing this, and it's useful in keeping a fight at bay if the defending and about to be losing player only has one order left then negotiations take place instead. We do it where if somebody calls for a throw-down verbally, before anything takes place, (any orders are thrown) the players do some negotiating first. The fight still may happen, but it seems to use orders better that way. Sometimes saving the aggressor and defender both an order token.

Another problem we had with not using a token to flee a throw-down was abuse. A player can block people over and over again with no fear of getting hurt, they would just flee a fight every time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.