Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: designers [+] [View All]
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I purchased a wargame off ebay. After I received it, I looked it over and on the back of the rules above the credits (designer, playtesters, etc.) there was a signature of the designer. Assuming that it is legit, if the seller had made note of the signature in the sale on Ebay, do you think that would have increased the value of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug, may we ask what game it was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in general, a signature increases value, but for the most part I doubt gamers are going to much care about a signature. Of course, just like sports/music/etc., if it's a relatively common/inexpensive game to begin with, don't expect a whole lot of value added. If it's rare, and the designer well known, should be bonus points.

Either way, the "value" added is merely from a personal perspective of whoever you'd sell it to anyway...if that signature means something to them, then yeah, it's worth more.

And if you're never selling it, then claim it's worth whatever you want to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the Designer and the game, but in general, collectors and rabid fans are willing to pay more for a signed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Mark Herman and the game was Peloponnesian War. Obviously, the seller just did not notice the autograph. Probably not original owner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bennett
United States
Grinnell
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Gene Pool is autographed and numbered. I think it's cool, but I only keep it because I enjoy the game. Gene Pool

My wife writes quilt books, and some people go gaga when they order a book and ask if I can get her to autograph it, and I tell them it's no problem.

If you'd like an autographed quilt book for your mother or spouse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. I actually collect these when I can. I've got Alan Moon on TtR, Richard Borg on Battle cry and the heroscape guys on a master set. I wouldn't trade or sell any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaaaggggh! They're penguins.....AND PIRATES! Pirate penguins!

Mwahahahahabahahabhsbahagagagagagaga *head explodes*

On a serious note, a signature does not a good game make, however a signature does an increased ebay auction price make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a joke on the Warfrog stand that non autographed copies of the old white box Warfrog games should be worth more than autographed copies as there were more autographed than not

I know that a number of collectors like autographs but how much it would affect the value of a game is anyones guess.

Hammy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To a serious wargamer, I think that particular signature does add good value! Congrats on the purchase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sure was a surpise to me when I saw the autograph. Does Mark Herman sign many games? Do designers in general sign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I don't like the autographs. It interferes with the box art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jones
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
facesnorth wrote:
Personally I don't like the autographs. It interferes with the box art.

When I met Reiner Knizia, I had him sign Dragonland and Taj Mahal on the inside of the box lid. That way it's more legible, protected from wear, and doesn't interfere with the box art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
milandoug wrote:
sure was a surpise to me when I saw the autograph. Does Mark Herman sign many games? Do designers in general sign?

I can't say w.r.t. Mark Herman, but in my experience most designers will sign if requested. I don't generally look to have games signed, but I have a few that are because friends who picked up the games for me at Essen had them signed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Krockover
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Kibler and I have been Combat Mission pbem opponents for some time. When he mentioned that he was coming to my area to visit his brother, I suggested that we get together for a day and he agreed. I had him over to the house and we gamed for a bit among other things. Being the geek that I am, I had him autograph my ASL rulebook sleeve cover. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.