Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Minnick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All, So I got to play this game for the first time last weekend and absolutely loved it. Went to a friend of a friends house to play it and he had damn near everything. We played a 260pt/side game with 4 players. It made me want to get in to this more. I was wondering what are some good purchases that I (someone new getting in to the game) should pick up in order to support a 100pt/side game yet have some options for differing scenarios.

I guess 2 starter packs are necessary, and I'll probably definitely get a Tie interceptor for sure just because it's my favorite ship in all of the star wars universe but what else? I know this is a highly subjective question that probably has no "right" answer, but I want some of your opinions and thoughts as a community that has many hours in to the game. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
a) there's dozens of threads on this if you want to search and read them before people reply here.

b) buy whatever looks fun. Any three rebel ships and any five imperial ships as long as one of them isn't a standard TIE will make 100 pt squads.

c) I buy 1-3 of everything and call it a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to one of the squadron building websites and play around with it so see what interests you.

The smallest cheapest fleet would be something like 2 tricked out TIE defenders. Not a good fleet, but a fleet. The rebel equivalent would be 2 e-wings.

For key upgrades and a good ship you definitely want the falcon when it finally gets restocked in the next month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nefstead
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only get two core sets if you're sure you want loads of X-wings or TIEs or if the price is really good. I only bought one (along with one of everything else, eventually) plus an extra set of dice, and I don't regret it. I saved probably $20 (second core vs. dice), and I've never needed those extra ships. I far prefer to have a variety of ships rather than a bunch of the same ones.

So, my suggestion is one core, one extra set of dice, and a couple more ships on each side that you think are cool. Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces might be fun, since you like Interceptors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Rowland
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Grumpy old man
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardBeard wrote:
Only get two core sets if you're sure you want loads of X-wings or TIEs or if the price is really good.

This for sure. I have 2 core sets, 2 TIE expansions (price on the 2nd was too good to pass up) and 1 of everything else. That gives me 6 TIE fighters, a touch short of a full swarm but good enough, and 4 X-wings which is hard to make use of. If you're not using a particular strategy that involves them it's excessive. I'm a completist so I' m compelled to have the option available to me.

Although...another good reason for a second core set is separate sets of dice, templates, and damage cards for both players. Something to consider, and was a definite tilting point in favor of my buying a second set. I play with a 7-year-old and it gets tiresome asking after every single turn for the dice, and a 2nd core set isn't really all that much more than the stand-alone dice when you look at the other extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

b) buy whatever looks fun. Any three rebel ships and any five imperial ships as long as one of them isn't a standard TIE will make 100 pt squads.

Where's your sense of Lemming-like obedience to our FFG overlords. You must buy all the things! At least 5 of them!

*Whack!*

Sorry about that.... Someone left the cage open on my rampant and raging consumer's cage.

I see that you're a Baltimoron like me. I recommend checking out the X-Wing crowd at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie. They're really helpful with developing strategies and lists to fit your play style and might help you from over-spending on a first lists. You may just be able to wander in and get a pick up game.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to play sometime. I've got a ton of stuff for X-Wing and don't get to play often enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun game! You might want to look at what it is you want to fly. If you are trying to purchase things bits a time to be affordable, then you might want to primarily look at one faction first. You probably will want both of them, just for the fact that you can have someone to play with that doesn't have all their own stuff. It's a game that you can easily sucker others into. You will probably want to get both factions overall as some upgrades only come in certain blisters and you might want to buy it for the upgrade. That and it's fun to switch sides every once in a while.

Look at the different ships to see what you want to get. I do agree that 2 starter sets is good as it gives you enough dice and templates. You probably want to buy at least one blister for the Tie Fighter and X-wing as they have pilots/upgrades that don't come in the starter set. So, that sets you up with 5 Tie Fighters and 3 X-wings. That's a good base. Any expansion after that is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not regretted getting 2 core sets, it is quite convenient to have a damage deck each and two of each template and range ruler (I have cut the other one at 1 range to make measuring easier), and enough dice to roll 5+ attack/defense. I bought one, noticed that it was much less expensive than I thought (18eur), played once and went back to buy the remaining one on Christmas Eve.

I printed out the cards from the TIE Fighter and X-Wing expansions, and later got the real cards from a trade. (And then printed some from the TIE Interceptor expansion when I got Imperial Aces.)

I have since bought other ships, of course, and there are now a lot of different squads I can build. I think you can manage with 3 TIE fighters on the long run, but when you start, and have less ships, you can easily fit all 4 in a squad. (If you go all-imperial, you probably want to try out a 7-TIE swarm. But perhaps you can borrow the ships.)

I buy in pairs, both sides get something of roughly equal in points, and I now have: 2x core, TIE Advanced (Vader) + Y-Wing, B-Wing + TIE Bomber, Imperial Aces + Millennium Falcon, Rebel Aces + TIE Phantom + TIE Defender + Z95.

I have had a lot of fun with the Interceptors from Imperial Aces. I can recommend getting 2x core + Imperial Aces + Rebel Aces and leave the big ships for the future.

After flying for a while you'll know better what you want next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say 2 Core, a TIE, an X Wing, and an Interceptor is a good start for a few options in the 100 point range. You will want a Push the Limit card for the Interceptor, which comes in Imperial Aces and A Wings, but the Interceptor pack has much better pilots IMO. Perhaps an A Wing and a TIE Advanced to finish out a simple 2 person 100 point collection?

I only suggest a second core if you find them cheap, though. Dice, damage decks, and move templates are easier to work around and better to share than not having the different pilots from the other expansions.

If you just want enough for one person and are going Imperial, my vote is 2 Core, 1 TIE, 1 Interceptor, and 1 Imperial Aces. Adding 1 Firespray will last you a long time, there are lots of pretty good and a fair number of competitive squads you could build with that collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I over kill on my purchases hehe, But if you want to field a 100 pt squad and play for fun.

Definitely 2 x Core sets. It is a far better value. Then one or two of the TIE and X-Wing expansions. You need Howlrunner from the TIE Expansion. and Wedge from X-Wing. Everything else is to flavor; any where from 0 to 2 for any expansion you'd like.

- B-Wings are very dominate now and you'll see a lot of BBXX lists.
- Max one TIE Advance (Darth Vader is just cool) unless you play EPIC (not a 100 point game BTW0.
- TIE Interceptors are just cool. If you get these I might recommend 2-3 expansions and 1 or 2 Imperial Aces. For a total (max) of 4 Interceptors.
- TIE Defenders and Phantoms you might wait until you want to add flavor.
- A-Wings and Y-Wings can be fun and you can add for flavor and variety.
- TIE Bombers are cool but hard to field ordinance well.

Large ships, Falcon, Lambda, etc... I'd wait. They really change the game and suck up points.

Just my two cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Where's your sense of Lemming-like obedience to our FFG overlords. You must buy all the things! At least 5 of them!

*Whack!*

Some of my lemmings aren't back from preordering data packs for three lcgs and oogling armada!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My strategy is simple, one of everything

(Well, except the core set, which I get two)

(And I also collect the ship with my brother, who buys Imperial while I get the Alliance. He has more ships, like an extra Tie or Interceptor.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Laurance
Australia
Revesby
NSW
flag msg tools
I only bought a second core set because I wanted both my son & I to be able to play tournaments simultaneously, and there doesn't appear to be any other way to get a copy of the damage deck.
Given the 8-ship maximum for 100-pt competitions, you quickly end up with more tokens than you could ever need.
A lot of people gravitate to the acrylic templates/rulers, so no need for more of the cardboard.
The expansions bring more pilot & upgrade cards, so I would definitely recommend them ahead of a second core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gram
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like you have a good start with 2 core sets and seem to me you like the Imperials. But skip the Tie Interceptor and go for Imperial Aces, this way you get two Interceptors and some good upgrades. And stay with one faction at 1st, it will be less money and you can find most upgrade cards for sale online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Parker
msg tools
If you like interceptors, you can start with a list similar to this for 100pts:

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!...

With a couple upgrade card proxies (Shield upgrade and Push the Limit [PTL]), I doubt your friends will mind), you only need the 4 Ties from the two core sets [4 Academy Pilots], a single Tie Fighter expansion [Howlrunner], and a single Tie Interceptor expansion [Soontir].

The list gives you the Baron himself, Soontir Fel (he is an amazing squint pilot with PTL). PTL squints have a higher learning curve with their flanking/'arc dodging' mentality, but Soontir can be flown a bit more aggressive with his turtle mode (focus /PTL to evade /stress+ bonus focus token).

You also get a solid mini-swarm. There are several guides out there on how to fly Tie Fighters in formation (check out Piqsid's Maneuvering guide 101). You get 4 PS1 Ties to fly in a block, and Howlrunner can fly to the outside, or behind, staying in R1 of the block to provide the amazing re-roll 1 red to her buddy's shots.

After that buy whatever you want! If you are really digging Interceptors still, nab an Imperial Aces box (everything a Squint needs). This will let you run the very fun, but very glass cannon list of Soontir Fel/Carnor Jax/Turr Phennir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Minnick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions and feedback. I picked up...

2 Core Sets
1 Imperial Aces
1 Rebel Aces
1 Tie Advanced (figured I needed an extra imperial).

There's a lot of stuff out of stock right now, probably because of the holidays, but when the faucets open back up I want to get the Millennium Falcon and probably some imperials to balance it out (maybe the Phantom + Tie Fighter). I could definitely see myself getting addicted to the collecting aspect of this alone. I doubt I will ever want to play for anything more than just friendly fun games.

Dennis, Yea, we'll definitely have to catch up sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.