Popular Tags: [View All]
David Floss
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About 3 months ago I was in a game store looking for games as gifts for some of the gamers in my group. The clerk suggested Beowulf as it blended several mechanics together and was simple enough for entry level players. On this recommendation I bought a copy.

We cracked open the box and started a game with 3 players. The rules played out pretty simple and within about 10 minutes we were off and running.

Before I tell you what I thought of the game, let’s talk about the concept/mechanics of the game.

Each turn the players move along a linear timeline stopping for events along the way. Each event has different outcomes. The mechanics are simple. You collect 1 of 6 types of cards. These cards are used in each area in a blind or round-robin bidding to gain placement in the event. Placement determines who gets first pick of the items associated with that event.

So if we are all bidding on the first adventure in a 3 player game, there are 3 items available. The highest bidder chooses the item they want, and so on down the line.

One element of chance that I actually enjoy about the game is the option in several of the events to take a risk. A risk allows you to randomly draw cards when you do not have them in your hand. If you draw one of the symbols associates with the current event you play it and bidding continues. If not, you are out and given last placement. This aspect of the game added some fun and anticipation to the events with risks as failure may result in getting wounded and impacting your final score.

Ultimately, the goal is to get to the end of the game with the fewest wounds and the most notoriety and gold. It's a simple points based game, he with then highest wins.

Mixed in with the Events (which follow the story of Beowulf's life) are other stops including a chance to trade in cards, play risks, and trade cards or items to heal.

The bidding aspect of the game in interesting and works making this less about back-stabbing each other and more about hand management and planning not just for the current event you are playing, but future events to come.

The game's risk component is fun but can be frustrating to some as no matter how well you might manager you cards, luck might take precedence and allow other players to advance even if their hands are not the best. Although in the games we played, I saw this work both ways (hence the name Risk)

The game is made by Fantasy Flight Games, makers of Twilight Imperium, Lord of the Rings, and Warcraft just to name a few. Compared to other titles this game falls a bit short of it's FFG brethren though as this came off as more entry level play and a bit boring to long term gamers where the mechanics, while functional, get repetitive. The game plays out very similar each time and unless you have 4+ players to make bidding more crucial and open some new card options, you can get by with little strategy and play on luck.

The game itself is well crafted and it is family friendly and easy to grasp for younger players making it a great segway game for mixed age groups.

In conclusion, while the game does not stir the soul to music, it is a fun game lasting about an hour, with some unique elements that offer a change to your game library, if not being the first game you choose each time you game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A risk allows you to randomly draw cards when you do not have them in your hand.
Not sure if you were playing that way, but...

Risks may be taken regardless of what is in the player's hand, and any viable cards drawn in a risk may be supplemented by cards from the player's hand if the total bid hasn't been met yet.

Taking a risk is not only a last-resort option, as your sentence implies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Kevin said, but also note that if you fail a risk, even if you have the cards to play, you still fail and you are out of the auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Did you play with the advanced rules?
He mentions the need for gold as a component of victory, so I'd guess not.

I haven't played it with only the basic rules, but I think it would lose a great deal without the optional Treasure episodes.

Nevertheless, if our reviewer didn't get the risk rules quite right, nor used the optional Treasure episodes, I think it's still an interesting mini-review. Makes me appreciate the game, played properly and with the full rules, all the more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dsfloss wrote:
making it a great segway game for mixed age groups.

I just can't work out what Beowulf has to do with that two-wheeled motorised personal vehicle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Floss
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification: I have played both the basic and advanced rules but overlooked some of the finer points between them since the review was based mostly on memory, not right after playing or with the rules handy as a reference. I think this is the kind of game that may be fun for a mixed group of experience or begginer players, but certainly not one of my top picks. The mechanics work well enough, but it just doesn't hold up when you have played it several times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly agree with you Ryan! It does get better, not only do you learn wich auctions get crucial, you also learn to better react to the cards in your hand, meaning: if you need to trade, if it compensated to take risks so to keep certain cards in your hand because you know you'll get short of those during the next two auctions, etc...

Its a great game!! And the expectations it raises as to how your opponents paly is really great...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.