James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently acquired the game, I have of course read all of the instructions, but have not even cracked open any of the cases - I'm attempting to avoid any and all spoilers. So with that in mind, I ask the following question: would pre-reading or glancing at the quiz / questions at the end of the case risk spoilers?

My overall plan for getting this to the table is to treat it as a murder mystery dinner evening, in order to get the most out of the game. The idea was to start the case, follow some leads, then each person / team could take the quiz when they think they're ready to solve the case. They'd keep their answers confidential, and everyone would keep going on exploring leads. Earliest correct solution wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pugeek wrote:
Having recently acquired the game, I have of course read all of the instructions, but have not even cracked open any of the cases - I'm attempting to avoid any and all spoilers. So with that in mind, I ask the following question: would pre-reading or glancing at the quiz / questions at the end of the case risk spoilers?

My overall plan for getting this to the table is to treat it as a murder mystery dinner evening, in order to get the most out of the game. The idea was to start the case, follow some leads, then each person / team could take the quiz when they think they're ready to solve the case. They'd keep their answers confidential, and everyone would keep going on exploring leads. Earliest correct solution wins.

Don't pre-read the quiz.

Spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree that you don't want to look at any quiz until you're ready to solve and determine your score. If you want to do this competitively and have each group read it when they're ready, you should make provision for them to be in a different room where they can discuss their answers, etc. You also need to caution them strongly in advance not to give anything away to those who are still working the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pugeek wrote:
Earliest correct solution wins.

Just a caution: Through seven cases, we have never gotten a perfectly "correct" solution.

This is not a game where you can readily expect to solve the mystery like the book Five Minute Mysteries. This game is more about how close you came to figuring it out.

If you are playing a competitive game, I would use the scoring system to determine a winner.

Also, in case you are still wondering, do NOT read any part of the quiz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't pre-read the quiz questions.

In fact after a handful of cases, we start turning the quiz questions into a mini-game where we try to guess what the questions would be. And it's kinda fun to read a question where you have no idea what they're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franzel Magetower
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
After we finished the first case, one of the secondary questions had us asking, "Wait, you could figure that out?! How??"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franzel wrote:
After we finished the first case, one of the secondary questions had us asking, "Wait, you could figure that out?! How??"

I always played this game cooperatively with my family, and sometimes after completing the case and figuring out our score we would visit additional clue locations trying to figure out such things. When you're playing together just for fun, that can be a great way to wind down after the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your comments. We will not be looking ahead to the questions at the end of the cases.

I particularly liked the suggestion to solve the case, then going back to follow leads that would have enabled us to figure out questions we missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.