BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a good 2 person+ strategy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tina Hart
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hi everyone- long time lurker, first time poster.....

So my husband and I (no kids) have been playing more and more games lately. I'd like to get him a new game for Christmas but I'm having trouble deciding what to pick (so many great sounding games!!).

Two of our current favorite games are Settlers of Catan (we like it so much sometimes we even play it 2 player - I know, I know, it doesn't work as well) and Carcassonne. For future games we'd love:

- A game that works for 2 players but could also be expanded to 4 or more
- A game good for adults with some strategy -- we aren't afraid of games that take 2 or 3 hours or take a bit to learn, though faster games are fine too!
- A game with good replay value
- And, ideally, something not too expensive ($50 or less ideally unless it's particularly awesome)

I've heard good things about both Ticket to Ride and Airlines:Europe as well as Kingsburg. Any recommendations for or against those games or for any others you love? We aren't picky about type of game (dice, cards, tiles, competition or coop, etc) - just looking for something fun!

Thank you SO much for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you don't have ticket to ride, you should get that on principle - specifically, get the 'Europe' version, as it has the best map and extra rules that add more strategy.

Elsewhere and in no particular order, listing things that hit my table recently, work with 2-4, are in print, and trying to get a range of genres that meet your criteria...

Pandemic
Hey that's my fish
Smallworld
Quantum
Splendor
Lords of Waterdeep
Dominion
Agricola or Caverna
Eldritch Horror

Also, take a look at Carcassonne expansions if you haven't already. The Carc forums here on bgg have lots of posting about which are the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the 'Geek.

Ticket to Ride is not worth getting for 2P, unless you buy the Swiss or Nordic maps. Too many great 2P games out there to play something ill-suited to your player count.

Our favourites for 2 or more:
Traders of Osaka
San Juan
Quoridor
London
König von Siam
Tigris & Euphrates
Goa
Biblios
Stone Age
Taluva
Thurn and Taxis
Flowerpower (if you can find it)

Since you're undaunted by length and depth, consider:
Reef Encounter
Keyflower
or anything from Splotter or in the GMT COIN Series series. Cuba Libre is a good start.

For 2P only, look into:
Court of the Medici
We the People
Twilight Struggle
or its grandchild
1989: Dawn of Freedom (which some have called superior).

Three good (albeit rather mainstream-y) geeklists on the topic:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19346/games-are-worth-purc...

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/125554/how-do-you-think-th...

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/48970/best-two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Perry
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For light to medium strategy, my wife and I really enjoy Castles of Burgundy for 2p. It can expand to four easily, but works well with just 2 players.

For deeper strategy, I would suggest Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Mc'Art
Belgium
Lillois
flag msg tools
badge
AllYearLong Santa
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold is also a nice strategy game for 2 players!
And it's asymetrical so when you have enough of playing one side, you can switch role for more fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I play 99% of games with my wife.

Here are some thoughts:

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a two player only, compact and short worker placement game. The expansions add a bit of replayability as different combinations of buildings are available.

Ticket to Ride is one we find that we prefer the USA map compared to the Europe map. I think it's because the places are more familiar. Easy route-building and set collection game. Works well with 2 and gets fairly tough with 3 or 5.

Suburbia is one that is a tile laying game that's bit of a step up from Carcassonne, but once you get past the way the income and reputation tracks work, it becomes a delight to play. Lots of interaction between your tiles, both personal (hidden) and public goals to work towards and a bit of interaction in the form of taking (or trashing) tiles the opponent needs. And about 45-50 minutes play time for two people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If you like eruos or at least don't mind them you could check out some of Stefan Feld's games. usually 2-4 players and pretty strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edko Fuzz
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Seasons.

It's great for two players, but can be expanded to four. For three it works fine also, never tried it with four players but I hear it can drag a bit too much.

Gameplays tend to be 45-60 minutes long. The game looks gorgeous and it's easy to learn. The card combos and synnergies are almost endless and you have some dice to roll too. Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coxeter wrote:

For deeper strategy, I would suggest Twilight Struggle.

Twilight Struggle is excellent, but be warned it's 2P only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation - Crazy 2p madness. Love it, so does my gf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Hart
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
You are all SO helpful! This is an awesome list of suggestions - thank you, thank you!!! I can't wait to look into these more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is an excellent 2-4 player game, once you get past the learning curve. Completely worth the effort of learning it. Once you know it, a 2-player game can go quick (15 minutes sometimes), but that just means you can play multiple games of it.

And to make your decisions that much harder (and you'll like that if you like strategy games), here are some more!

Arkadia, Russian Railroads, Finca, The Hanging Gardens, Antike Duellum (this is 2-player only), Vikings, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (for a tough 2-4 player co-op game), Vinhos, Trajan, Ginkgopolis, The Road to Canterbury (this is for 2-3 players) and Samurai.

Good hunting!

Edit: Some of the games I've mentioned are harder to find than others (I didn't take the time to list the ones that are readily available), but here on BGG you can almost always find options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great suggestions have already been made.

+ 1 Goa, Tigris & Euphrates, Seasons, Finca, Arkadia

Occasionally it is just my wife and I playing. Carcassonne is probably the game we have played most often over the years. Catan we played over and over early on, not so much lately, but it remains a favourite. If I had to choose only one game to play (that scales well 2+) it would be a toss up between Goa and Bora Bora.

On the other hand, two other very good games Hacienda and Dos Rios would cost about the same together (at least on Amazon) as Goa and other suggestions that have been made....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Couple others to consider...

Nations
Castles of Burgundy
Railways of the World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever else you get, I would absolutely add Jaipur even if it is only 2 player. It's wonderfully addictive (and with gorgeous aesthetics). I gave it to my husband for our anniversary in September and we both love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Spain
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife can recommend the following games which are VERY good for two but also works great with more players:

Dominion
Lords of Waterdeep (Get the expansion while you're at it)
Infiltration
Castles of Burgundy

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the majority of my games with my partner, and here are some we love:

Dominion: Different from the games you already own (it's a deck-builder), and a classic that works for 2 to 4 players.
Letters from Whitechapel: Maybe our favorite game, ideal for 2, but also playable up to 6. It's a deduction game, so again, different from what you already have.
Suburbia: Great city-building game. Some find it fiddly, but I think it's a ton of fun and great for 2 or more players.
Stone Age or Dungeon Petz: Stone Age if you want something lighter, Dungeon Petz if you want something heavier, both worker placement games that are lots of fun.
Tales of the Arabian Nights: If you like Choose Your Own Adventures, then this game would be a fun exercise, for 2 or more players.

Unlike other people, I'm not so keen on the idea of you getting Ticket to Ride. Too often I see people saying you should get it just because you should, and I don't know that you really should, if you already have some light gateway games and you'd like to get into something deeper. Ticket to Ride is a bit too light for us. It's good for getting non-gamers involved, but if you're looking to get into meatier games, I'd spend the money elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a big fan of TTR, but I recently got Nordic Countries and frankly, it's great. Best TTR I have played. But it doesn't scale to more than three players, so it doesn't meet your criterion.

I think the bases have been well covered as far as two player games that scale. All good suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Hart
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Fantastic!! Thank you! I've looked at everything and I narrowed it down to:

The Castles Of Burgundy
Seasons
Twilight Struggle
Agricola
Dominion

(Goa was in there but it's too pricy for now, Jaipur is also on the list but for a future buy)

Hmm... I guess I haven't quite narrowed it down as far as I thought

One follow up question -- I saw Terra Mystica ranked highly on here in general but no one mentioned it. Is it one you think I should consider as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:
Innovation - Crazy 2p madness. Love it, so does my gf.

+1. The base game plays 4, and each expansion adds another player (and it is fun with 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.