Juan Mejia
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
of Power
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game is in the mail, but I've been reading the rules and the forums and I think I thought of a good way to mitigate luck without taking from the special abilities that allow re rolls.
Once per turn a player can spend 1,000 (or 2 depending on how common money is) to make a reroll. My only issue with this is that I have no way of explaining it thematically.
My other thought was that they would have to disarm 2 markers for a reroll, sacrificing the ability to do more but getting a critical reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Triceranuke wrote:
Once per turn a player can spend 1,000 (or 2 depending on how common money is) to make a reroll. My only issue with this is that I have no way of explaining it thematically.

All ships are coin operated. The first shots are free and that's how they reel you in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually during missions, perhaps the rewards are +1 to movement roll, +1 to weapons roll, +1 to shield roll etc. This can reflect hiring of better pilots, weapons officer, engineers, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Money is extremely scarce. 1,000 credits is a lot. As point of perspective, the difference between each tier of outfit is 1,000. The profit for buying and selling a good is 1,000. For 5,000 one can buy a Tier 2 ship or a victory point.

This is also replicating the power of a Level 1 ship, which can do it for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Mat said, 1k cR is not easy to come by… I've found in the handful of games I've played, it takes a bit of time to get the credits flowing… and even then, you usually won't find yourself with extra to burn for a reroll.
If you're Tier I, it's usually better to bite the bullet and blow-up, anyway… free repair! (Unless you are laden with goods)

I think the best suggestion I've seen is in regards to reducing randomness for movement. You use dice that don't have ones… (Ex: d8 with 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) think there's a d6 version like that. Or, you could just house rule any 1 for movement, add +1

** Better yet, go here. They're talking about the dice I suggested. **

Honestly, for some folks the randomness was a turn off.
I quite enjoy it.
I also enjoy the fickle goddess that the RNG creates in FTL.
Sometimes she smiles, and blesses you.
Other times, she drags you down, down, down to a cold death in the vacuum of space (or the wall of a planetary shield)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best wait to deal with the luck: Stop pretending it's an intense, strategic euro, and realize it's a fun adventure game where not everything goes your way.

Another way to deal with it: Get better outfits. With a d6 outfit, 33% of your rolls will be 2 or less. With a d8 outfit, that drops to 25%. With a d12, now you're at 16.7% chance of rolling a 2 or less. My friends complain about all their 1's they roll with tier1 engines, while I'm scooting along nicely in a tier3. Roll a 1? Who cares, my engine's big enough to compensate on the next roll... usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Notgonnatellya
msg tools
imo this makes the built in reroll abilities overpowered. I mean what other special power can save you 1k every time you use it??

than again it gives EVERYBODY that ability making the easy tiger practically dispensable!

I don't know what I'm saying, but in my general opinion I feel it'd mess up the play balance WAY more than had been prepped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.