Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Little
United States
Corinne
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried a drafting mechanic to the tiles you select in Carcassonne? A friend of mine presented the idea and it intrigued me. The proposal was to lay out a number of tiles equal to the number of players, so that you have a bit of a choice in the tiles you play. I was curious who has tried it and what it does to the dynamics of the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it will work. One of the fun things about carcassonne is that someone is waiting half the game on the right tile and then someone else draws it. There are other games which are intended for drafting tiles or cards where it works fine, but I don't think it'll work. However you can always just try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Move along nothing to see here. This is not the text you were looking for,
badge
I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a bad idea. But in my game group, the roads would quickly pile up and it would be basically end up being a 1 tile draw game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting idea to mix the game up a bit.

To clarify, did you mean:
Lay out, face up, a number of tiles equal to the number of players. On a players turn they pick one of the face up tiles and play it as normal, and then a replacement tile is turned face up from the stacks/bag.

If so I agree that the roads would probably pile up.

What you could try is:
Lay out, face up, a number of tiles equal to the number of players plus one. On a players turn they pick one of the face up tiles and play it as normal. Then, if there are no more tiles face up, draw and place face up tiles equal to the number of players plus one again.

This second option means that you effectively get to take turns having "first pick" from a range of tiles, and won't get stuck with roads clogging up the selection.

Also, just to mention what I mistook this thread to mean before I read it:
Deal out X tiles to each player, where X is the number of players in the game. Each player looks at the "hand" of tiles dealt to them, selects one to keep in front of them (face down) and passes the other tiles in the hand to the player on their left. All players pick and pass simultaneously. Repeat this until there are no more "hands" of tiles left to pass and then deal out X tiles to each player again. Repeat all this until all the tiles are in selections in front of players. Each player then shuffles their collection of tiles into a single stack. Play the game as normal, but on a turn a player must draw their tile from the top of their personal stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play Carcassonne with everyone having 3 tiles in hand.

It increases strategic and tactical play, it reduces luck, and on top of that it reduces downtime, because players can think about what they will do during the other players' turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Little
United States
Corinne
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I was sure the roads would be a problem. So I appreciate the suggested changes. It will be interesting to see how much the changes will affect the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Arnell
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
Brädspel är världens bästa hobby!
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:

It increases strategic and tactical play, it reduces luck, and on top of that it reduces downtime, because players can think about what they will do during the other players' turns.

What happens with the tiles you don't choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm suggesting that a better location to attract participants interested in discussing this topic would be the Carcassonne/Variants forum. I've used the Red X at the top to alert an Admin to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
akron wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:

What happens with the tiles you don't choose?

You keep them in your hand.

So, if it is your turn:
1. Play one of the three tiles in your hand.
2. Get a new tile from the stack, so you have three tiles again.

This gives you some strategy and flexibility in the order you want to play your tiles. And in general the game goes quicker, because you can think about your next move while it is not your turn.

For our gaming group this makes the game way better. If you care to give it a try, let me know the results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Little
United States
Corinne
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried the idea of laying out tiles equal to the players plus one in a two player game and loved what it did for the game. I created a different level of strategy since and times you had decide which was more important picking a tile that would help you or grab the tile that would help your opponent. It also allowed you to develop strategy. I still haven't tried it with more, but I will definitely play this way with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Marler
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
I play with this mechanic:

Lay out five tiles at the beginning of the game. On each player’s turn, he or she can choose to take the right-most tile for free. To take a tile to the left, the player must spend victory points — 1 for the second tile, two for the third, and so on. After a player drafts a tile, move the remaining tiles forward and add a new tile to the back of the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.