jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
this story has a little something for everyone on RSP !

1. Christian organization not acting very Christian
2. homeless people
3. bad parents
4. rape or possible rape
5. pedophiles?!?
6. age based discrimination
7. cops behaving poorly or not poorly depending on your opinion.

The only thing missing is "while black and bitcoin".


Quote:
JOHNSON CITY, TN (WJHL) - The Johnson City Salvation Army is reviewing its emergency shelter policy after the organization turned away a homeless family with a teenage son on a cold night earlier this month, all because of the boy's age.

Tim Lejeune says on one of the coldest nights of the year, despite the organization's white flag waving outside the shelter, the Salvation Army turned his family away, because his son is 15 years old.

"They said he's too old to stay on the women's side, because of the women running around in their pajamas and they said he's too young to stay on the men's side in case some pervert wants to do whatever," Lejeune said.



http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/27481410/salvation-army-...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shitty situation all around.

I can understand what prompts the policy in general, however it can have like any policy some nasty effects in some specific cases. I'm glad individuals stepped up to help in this case, good on them(Police no less! #notallpolice) Maybe the establishment of an emergency fund to get a room in the extreme instances where this happens.

There, addressed the point all without picking on JC
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
There, addressed the point all without picking on JC


ugh, not cool dude, not cool. I really need to ramp up my game.

I dont understand what they are afraid of, its not like he is being locked in with a bunch of blonde high school teachers and he could just hang out with the guys on the men's side.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the name of god?

OK I can see the women sides issue as being correct (if for no other reason the fact that the women may not feel happy about it). But fear of pedophiles really has gone too far. Hell if it is that big an issue why not have a bloody monitored children's area, really how hard is it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised. Domestic Violence Shelters routinely turn away male children in their teens fleeing with their mothers for fear that the young male would learn where the hidden shelter is and would later return there as an abuser looking for his victim.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
What is the name of god?

OK I can see the women sides issue as being correct (if for no other reason the fact that the women may not feel happy about it). But fear of pedophiles really has gone too far. Hell if it is that big an issue why not have a bloody monitored children's area, really how hard is it.


It's hard when money and facilities are tight. It involves having someone on duty all night, in the sleeping area, monitoring the activities. Even without the monitoring there's almost zero chance of something happening, but the consequences are severe.

Also, is the SA catholic(The OP indicated it might be)? They might have a little more reason than most to be concerned about something like this happening and coming back at them. They've had a bad track record in other spheres and that shit follows you. Imagine if something did happen.

Lawsuit, eats your money.
Donations down from bad publicity, eats your money and inventory.

All of that means less help for other people.

Oh, let's not forget, a boy gets raped eh?

So yeah, I see the *why* but hope they do get their policy amended to come up with something to cover the niche cases.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What is the name of god?

OK I can see the women sides issue as being correct (if for no other reason the fact that the women may not feel happy about it). But fear of pedophiles really has gone too far. Hell if it is that big an issue why not have a bloody monitored children's area, really how hard is it.


It's hard when money and facilities are tight. It involves having someone on duty all night, in the sleeping area, monitoring the activities. Even without the monitoring there's almost zero chance of something happening, but the consequences are severe.

Also, is the SA catholic(The OP indicated it might be)? They might have a little more reason than most to be concerned about something like this happening and coming back at them. They've had a bad track record in other spheres and that shit follows you. Imagine if something did happen.

Lawsuit, eats your money.
Donations down from bad publicity, eats your money and inventory.

All of that means less help for other people.

Oh, let's not forget, a boy gets raped eh?

So yeah, I see the *why* but hope they do get their policy amended to come up with something to cover the niche cases.
The Sally army are catholic? I am sure John Wesley might have something to say about that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps he should have just said he identified as a teenage girl.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What is the name of god?

OK I can see the women sides issue as being correct (if for no other reason the fact that the women may not feel happy about it). But fear of pedophiles really has gone too far. Hell if it is that big an issue why not have a bloody monitored children's area, really how hard is it.


It's hard when money and facilities are tight. It involves having someone on duty all night, in the sleeping area, monitoring the activities. Even without the monitoring there's almost zero chance of something happening, but the consequences are severe.

Also, is the SA catholic(The OP indicated it might be)? They might have a little more reason than most to be concerned about something like this happening and coming back at them. They've had a bad track record in other spheres and that shit follows you. Imagine if something did happen.

Lawsuit, eats your money.
Donations down from bad publicity, eats your money and inventory.

All of that means less help for other people.

Oh, let's not forget, a boy gets raped eh?

So yeah, I see the *why* but hope they do get their policy amended to come up with something to cover the niche cases.
The Sally army are catholic? I am sure John Wesley might have something to say about that.


I was asking, as in I don't know offhand. I saw the OP mention Christian, which has Catholic as the main body. Not that any church really gets out of suspicion when it comes to pedophilia
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I was asking, as in I don't know offhand. I saw the OP mention Christian, which has Catholic as the main body. Not that any church really gets out of suspicion when it comes to pedophilia


http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/what-we-believe

Quote:
What We Believe

The Salvation Army's eleven articles of faith reflect our determination to remain faithful to our standards and principles.

We believe that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments were given by inspiration of God, and that they only constitute the Divine rule of Christian faith and practice.

We believe that there is only one God, who is infinitely perfect, the Creator, Preserver, and Governor of all things, and who is the only proper object of religious worship.

We believe that there are three persons in the Godhead - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, undivided in essence and co-equal in power and glory.

We believe that in the person of Jesus Christ the Divine and human natures are united, so that He is truly and properly God and truly and properly man.

We believe that our first parents were created in a state of innocence, but by their disobedience, they lost their purity and happiness, and that in consequence of their fall, all men have become sinners, totally depraved, and as such are justly exposed to the wrath of God.

We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has by His suffering and death made an atonement for the whole world so that whosoever will may be saved.

We believe that repentance toward God, faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and regeneration by the Holy Spirit are necessary to salvation.

We believe that we are justified by grace through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and that he that believeth hath the witness in himself.

We believe that continuance in a state of salvation depends upon continued obedient faith in Christ.

We believe that it is the privilege of all believers to be wholly sanctified, and that their whole spirit and soul and body may be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

We believe in the immortality of the soul, the resurrection of the body, in the general judgment at the end of the world, in the eternal happiness of the righteous, and in the endless punishment of the wicked.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:
What is the name of god?



god
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In an effort to weed out the very rare very bad, we have sacrificed the common good things that we can do for each other, which is stupid because the very rare very bad still occurs at about the same rate, while the common good things have gone down significantly as a result of these policies.
16 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
In an effort to weed out the very rare very bad, we have sacrificed the common good things that we can do for each other, which is stupid because the very rare very bad still occurs at about the same rate, while the common good things have gone down significantly as a result of these policies.


We have unfortunately made the very rare also very expensive and the,burden of innocence very high. I am agreeing with you that the results are disheartening.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What is the name of god?


YHWH
I was thinking more of Zoroaster.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What is the name of god?



god
No, that is his title.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
On the men's side, there's a very direct reason not mentioned so far that that policy exists in our local emergency shelter organization: it's not at all uncommon to have registered sex offenders at the shelter who would be in violation of their paroles simply by sleeping in the same room as a minor. Although we wouldn't be able to house the boy in question if he showed up to the shelter I help with, there are certainly other resources we can tap into to make sure that anyone showing up at our doors ultimately finds a place to stay for the night.
12 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
In an effort to weed out the very rare very bad, we have sacrificed the common good things that we can do for each other, which is stupid because the very rare very bad still occurs at about the same rate, while the common good things have gone down significantly as a result of these policies.


Spot on. And applicable all too frequently.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Jythier wrote:
In an effort to weed out the very rare very bad, we have sacrificed the common good things that we can do for each other, which is stupid because the very rare very bad still occurs at about the same rate, while the common good things have gone down significantly as a result of these policies.


Spot on. And applicable all too frequently.


That's funny, because I posted this same thing with regards to hugging teachers being not allowed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
On the men's side, there's a very direct reason not mentioned so far that that policy exists in our local emergency shelter organization: it's not at all uncommon to have registered sex offenders at the shelter who would be in violation of their paroles simply by sleeping in the same room as a minor. Although we wouldn't be able to house the boy in question if he showed up to the shelter I help with, there are certainly other resources we can tap into to make sure that anyone showing up at our doors ultimately finds a place to stay for the night.
Interesting, but even so they did not even do they, they turfed them out (well that is the claim anyway).

Would n t the obvious answer to be to allow families to stay together?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sure, and that's ideally what happens (and indeed what happened in this situation), it's just that that can't necessarily happen in the context of a shelter environment because of issues like the one I mentioned.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.