Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The day started with Brian and myself trying to find a bootleg copy of the new Star Wars trailer being released today.

Convinced I had found it, Brian all but laughed at me.

“A black stormtrooper?!?! There’s no black Stormtroopers! There all supposed to be clones of Jango Fett! And a droid made out of a soccer ball??! Come on - that's a spoof!”

Doesn’t he remember that in Episode IV Han and Luke dressed up in Stormtrooper outfits?

Anyway....

"The Blinds are closed"

"Well it is Black Friday"

We seem to have an uncanny nack for rolling an extravagant amount of 1‘s in this game. We decided from here on in we are actually going to keep a running total of the number rolled for movement in each game. TODAY’S GAME - 39. Not sure if that’s a lot since we are not keeping track of any other number though!

Brian, playing the Alchemist, (didn’t he play this character last month??) headed right into the City:

“I’m coming for you Glitter!”

He strolled his way through the streets, picked up a Flail purely by chance and then entered the pet shop but only got Terrence for his troubles. Little did he know how handy that particular card would be a little later.

Paul, playing the Valkyrie, headed straight into the Dungeon:

“How bad can it be?”

He must have amnesia from the past three years worth of unsuccessful early attempts at the darkened tunnels of the underworld. Amazingly he made it all the way through to the last cavern space. Not sure what he thought he was heading for when he only had a Strength of 3. For his next turn he rolled a 4. It was either the Lord Of Darkness or the Vault at Draw 3 cards - never your first choice in the Dungeon. He opted for the Vault:

“Well, it can’t be any worse than the Lord Of Darkness”

Actually, it can! He drew Phantom Hound, Grinder and Battle Hulk! Laughs all round. Well, until it got back to Paul of course. His was more of a:

“You’ve got to be $%#^$$# kidding me!!”

His next turn presented him with Vampire Prince and Rune Dancer. This brought him down to one life and very next round he was killed. The half painted Priest was his replacement. Serves him right too.

A worthy footnote here: Brian was not the first one killed.

Shawn, playing the Warlord, did the sensible thing and stayed in the Outer Region slowly but surely doing his thing while drama went on elsewhere in the land. A smart move probably, but he was lacking his usual skill at remembering to move Death and Wolfie. I suppose the Thanksgiving Turkey was still having it’s expected effect.

I, playing the Gypsy, went into the Woodland with the Wyrd Path. A draw early on of Baba Yaga’s Hut meant I got through the Woodland fairly quickly and was able to pay the Fate necessary to keep his Destiny card, The Blessed. Not sure how blessed I was though in this game because that’s when my luck ran out.

Alchemist Brian decided to venture into the Woodland.

“Don’t you remember last month when you said you’d never ever ever go into the Woodland again?”

“What’s the worse that can happen?”

Well, maybe that Toad King card he pulled.

“I’m going the #*$% home. Seriously.”

It took some convincing on our part but I think we managed to placate Brian into accepting this particular toading wasn’t as bad as all that. Not compared to...er.....other toadings in the past. We even let him pick which toad he was. He went with the Triangle toad. It was enough to keep him in the game at least.

Priest Paul drew Demigod. which basically translates into everyone take a 20 minute break while he reads - twice - each particular spell before narrowing down the entire spell deck into his top twenty picks, before re-reading those twenty and narrowing them down to five before re-reading those five again. Shawn went out for a Cigar.

He picked whatever he considered the best spell of the entire deck (turned out it was Spell Call ?!?!) A waste of time though since his next turn he drew Basilisk. He was down to 1 life (again) and I didn’t want to be responsible for his second character killing. Alchemist Brian ever so eagerly stepped up. He rolled double 6! The priest was no more.

Spider Queen was his replacement. Paul looked at the card for a few minutes.

“I’ll have a migraine by the time I figure out how to play this character.”

He needn’t have worried. Spider Queen was killed by a lowly Chill Wraith less than 30 minutes later. He did have a good time placing Web tokens randomly all over the land, though, I am not sure he really got the benefit of them. Sprite was his fourth Character in the game:

“If this stupid fairy gets killed them I am going the #$%# home. Seriously.”

Alchemist Brian was making out pretty good in the Woodland.

“I found a Loophole”

He basically had drawn the Faerie Mound and was using Terrence to step back and forth between it and an unused Rune Gate to continually pick up discarded Fae enemies turn them in, discard them then pick them up, trade them in discard them....you get the picture. I honestly think he’d be happy still doing that 7 hours later if it meant he was doing better than anyone else. Some men are just mature that way.

While all this excitement was going on Adam and Shawn were playing Russian roulette with the Luck Fairy in the Highland. Both losing a ton of loot and Shawn getting basically all of it. There’s a reason we have another name for the luck fairy and it rhymes with luck fairy.

With this loss it was back to the drawing board for me. Warlord Shawn was mighty strong, with a whole host of conscripted followers, Alchemist Brian had more Craft than he’s ever had in his life and Sprite Paul was, well, a Sprite. At this point the game had reached 6 hours.

On occasion we have been forced to end games early when time has run out (or someones spouse is telling them it’s time to come home) and today was one of those days. We have tried a few different “Sudden Death” scenarios and since we basically had to end there and then this one was “Very Sudden”. We all four moved onto the Crown Of Command and each rolled a die the highest one got to be the one to turn the card over. We probably should have thought about doing something earlier on in the game but oh well.

Alchemist Brian rolls a 6 and turns over Demon Lord! With his mighty Craft he was sure to win but we made him go through the paces anyway. Good job we did because unbelievably he lost a combat. Play moved through each of us until Warlord Shawn got to take the Demon Lords last life.

“Gentlemen, it’s been an honour. Until next month.”

cool

END STATS

Alchemist S8 / C16 / L3 / F1 / G0
Sprite S3 / C5 / L4 / F4 / G0
Gypsy S3 / C10 / L7 / F0 / G1
Warlord S9 / C13 / L4 / F2 / G0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They are older ones I made up a couple of years ago. Available for free here if anyone's interested:

http://www.njtalisman.com/#!downloads/cq5u

However, they need updating since many expansions have come out since then and we now have Dark/Light Fate, Destinies, Path cards, Character tokens etc.

I am currently working on having them updated and posted by years end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Murphy
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun report. I always enjoy reading about your Talisman sessions. I'm envious that u get to play it so often abd with a good group of friends to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I've been a bit lax this year with them I'm afraid, but it's my New Years Resolution to remedy that

If you're ever in Jersey get in touch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome battle session, the way Talisman should be played (in my opinion), that is, not caring about who wins and who dies, but go for memorable moments.

Talisman is more an experience than a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

guigtexas wrote:

Talisman is more an experience than a game.

Well said, that man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls