Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Trade Question From a Newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Soto
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the resurgence of this hobby in my life, but I need some advice.

I've built up my collection enough that I can start thinking about trading games on BGG.

Currently, I have 0 trades and I think this is hurting me. I've tried messaging people on BGG and setting up one on one trades using BGG's trade function to no avail. Not even a response.

I haven't tried a math trade yet as I feel people would have an aversion to trading with me.

Understandably, I realize there is some risk involved in trading with someone in my position, so I'm asking advice from some of the more seasoned traders:

Can you tell me how you were successful in getting your first 20 or so trades? How did you start? What did you do?

Thanks a bunch!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
casotojr wrote:
I haven't tried a math trade yet as I feel people would have an aversion to trading with me.
Au contraire. It's a great place to start - if you have some promos, get stuck into the WW Promo Trade. Don't try to trade items of high value until you have a couple of feedbacks.

There are lots of other posts with advice on just this issue, so I won't repeat the advice here.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you have some reasonably popular games on your For Trade list, so that's not the issue. I would suggest messaging people to discuss a trade before sending a trade request, if you're not already. Some like it and some don't, but with zero feedback it's nice to show you're not just a spammer but someone who honestly wants to try other games. I wonder how realistic your trade suggestions are though, as for example you're looking for Imperial Assault, with a comment that you're wanting to trade your Descent 2E for it. Having a foamcore insert helps, but you're still looking for a new game near the top of The Hotness and offering a game that has been around for a while and has 250 people trading it, that has been on sale multiple times, and that has an MSRP $20 lower.

Before you get some feedback, you might have to make your trades a little in the other person's favor to make up for perceived risk. Math Trades are a great place to farm some feedback though, almost unfairly so to those of us who mostly make mutual trades!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
- Send personal pm messages with trade proposals rather than system proposals.

- Explain just like you did here your situation.

- State that given your lack of feedback you're completely comfortable sending the games from your side first and don't expect them to ship until they've received the promised games.

- Realize that you may need to send out a LOT of proposals before you get a successful trade. (even when you've got a ton of positive feedback)

- Follow up immediately after the trade and ask for feedback.

- After just 2-5 positive feedbacks left you'll find that is no longer a point of resistance at all for most traders.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
brewdinar wrote:
It looks like you have some reasonably popular games on your For Trade list, so that's not the issue. I would suggest messaging people to discuss a trade before sending a trade request, if you're not already. Some like it and some don't, but with zero feedback it's nice to show you're not just a spammer but someone who honestly wants to try other games. I wonder how realistic your trade suggestions are though, as for example you're looking for Imperial Assault, with a comment that you're wanting to trade your Descent 2E for it. Having a foamcore insert helps, but you're still looking for a new game near the top of The Hotness and offering a game that has been around for a while and has 250 people trading it, that has been on sale multiple times, and that has an MSRP $20 lower.

Before you get some feedback, you might have to make your trades a little in the other person's favor to make up for perceived risk. Math Trades are a great place to farm some feedback though, almost unfairly so to those of us who mostly make mutual trades!


Thanks for the honesty, Tyler. I was thinking more along the lines of similar mechanics, but hadn't considered what you suggest. I'll do so!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
casotojr wrote:
I haven't tried a math trade yet as I feel people would have an aversion to trading with me.
Au contraire. It's a great place to start - if you have some promos, get stuck into the WW Promo Trade. Don't try to trade items of high value until you have a couple of feedbacks.

There are lots of other posts with advice on just this issue, so I won't repeat the advice here.



I'll do a more thorough search then, thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
- Send personal pm messages with trade proposals rather than system proposals.

- Explain just like you did here your situation.

- State that given your lack of feedback you're completely comfortable sending the games from your side first and don't expect them to ship until they've received the promised games.

- Realize that you may need to send out a LOT of proposals before you get a successful trade. (even when you've got a ton of positive feedback)

- Follow up immediately after the trade and ask for feedback.

- After just 2-5 positive feedbacks left you'll find that is no longer a point of resistance at all for most traders.


Thanks so much, Dante! I'll give it a go and keep at it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - Dante and others has already given you excellent advice

I'd say it also helps to 'build up your presence' on BGG, a bit like you've already done:

- have a collection
- have some badges
- make some posts
- get and give thumbs
- have a bit of GG

just to show you are 'invested' in your presence on BGG
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Oh - Dante and others has already given you excellent advice

I'd say it also helps to 'build up your presence' on BGG, a bit like you've already done:

- have a collection
- have some badges
- make some posts
- get and give thumbs
- have a bit of GG

just to show you are 'invested' in your presence on BGG


Sounds reasonable! I knew I'd have to start doing something along those lines, so I appreciate you confirming this for me. I figure it might actually help to support BGG financially as well.

I do so much appreciate everyone's help and willingness to be so inclusive as a community.

Carlos
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.