GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,336 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Netrunner - The Complete Game (Help me build it) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey gang,

So, I'm going to ask a lot of you, but it involves thinking about Netrunner, so I figure this is the best source for people who'd be up to the task.

Here's where I'm at: I'm a serious tabletop game enthusiast (no duh, I'm on BGG, right?) and I have a large collection of games. I spread my time out among those games, so I can't devote the time to Netrunner that a game of this quality deserves. I would never be able to keep up with the meta.

That said, Netrunner is one of my absolute favorite 2 player games. Heck, it's one of my favorite games in general. I just know that I'm never going to head off to tournaments or play in a super competitive scene. I'll be busting this out when I'm hanging out with friends who can handle competitive card games (I have a handful of guys like that).

Currently, I only own the core set, so even though I lurk on the forums a lot and read about new cards and decks, I've only experienced the brilliance of the mechanics in their most basic application.

Here's what I want: I want a "complete" Netrunner game that can sit on my shelf and come down whenever I get the urge. I want it to include a minimum of 4 decks (2 runners, 2 corps), but in an ideal world, I'd have one for each of the 7 factions, each a bit representative of what that faction is good at. Also, I'd much prefer it if none of the cards were shared, so I didn't have to locate them, then move them between decks constantly between games. If certain cards are too fundamental, I'd even rather purchase duplicates.

Additionally, I'd like this complete game to cost me less than $100. That part could be tricky. Currently I only have the base game, I just don't want to buy every set that's been produced up to this point. I'm okay buying like, 6 - 8 data packs, along with some sleeves and a nice storage solution.

Your part: This is where I'm going to ask for your help. You guys have way more experience with this, and know the game better than I do. What should I be buying to achieve my goal? What data packs are the most essential. What decks would you build? Would you stretch yourself to 7 decks, or would you focus on 4 great ones? Basically, if you had $100 + 1 core set to build a complete Netrunner game, how would you do it?

I appreciate your assistance with this project. Obviously, your input will be invaluable to me. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, I estimate that it is possible to make balanced decks for each faction with another core set and a few datapacks. I'll get back to you on decklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Ludus Rex wrote:
Basically, if you had $100 + 1 core set to build a complete Netrunner game, how would you do it?

Core + Genesis Cycle seemed like a pretty complete game at the time. Do note that Runners were definitely a tad stronger than Corps by the end of the cycle. I recall the game really feeling like it had come into its own by then, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be worth spending the $10 or $15 to get one or two of the bundles of "common" core set cards in the secondary market to bulk up on staples like Sure Gamble and Hedge Fund, so you don't have to shortchange your decks.

Core + Genesis is a good game, though whichever runner gets the Plascretes is going to better vs Weyland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agent Archer wrote:
Ludus Rex wrote:
Basically, if you had $100 + 1 core set to build a complete Netrunner game, how would you do it?

Core + Genesis Cycle seemed like a pretty complete game at the time. Do note that Runners were definitely a tad stronger than Corps by the end of the cycle. I recall the game really feeling like it had come into its own by then, though.

If you're preconstructing the decks, though, you could scale the Runners back a bit by leaving out Account Siphon and restricting all the Anarchs' best tricks to your Anarch deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
If you're preconstructing the decks, though, you could scale the Runners back a bit by leaving out Account Siphon and restricting all the Anarchs' best tricks to your Anarch deck.

It's a valid point. While making the strongest decks possible is nice, it's not 100% necessary.

As long as the decks are fun, interesting, balanced, and showcase the mechanics of their faction, then it'll be a success. I only need decks that are balanced against each other, and have some semblance of strategy and consistency (rather than uniformly bad decks, filled with single copy cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Right now, I estimate that it is possible to make balanced decks for each faction with another core set and a few datapacks. I'll get back to you on decklists.

Zeb, super grateful for any effort.

If you decide to scrape up lists for all 7 flavors, consider that in addition to one more core set, I can also buy a full set of the 3x cards from the Core Set for like, 10 bucks, as Scott pointed out. I won't necessarily have to be stingy with the neutral cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludus Rex wrote:
if you had $100 + 1 core set to build a complete Netrunner game, how would you do it?

C&C + H&P + O&C (to be released) + What Lies Ahead + Future Proof + Opening Moves + Double Time = $100

Years of casual netrunning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octo Rex
msg tools
mb
I'm not sure that having 7 pre-constructed decks that don't change is really gonna give you the buzz that your looking for - after a few games everyone will know the tricks and traps in each one and that's a lot of what is great about netrunner - the surprise and fear of simply not knowing. It'll still be fun even if you know what's in the decks, but knowing what's in them is what makes the core set get stale in the first place really.

So with that in mind, I would agree with the earlier poster and say that 1 extra core and the complete first cycle is your best bet. This will allow you to make plenty of decks between the factions (you could still have 7 ready to go decks I reckon - maybe another set of the common cards might help to be fair) but will also allow you to mix it up properly too when the decks get stale. You can find all sorts of net decks that only use those cards, then just tweak around the overlapping cards.

As for a storage solution, it should cost nothing - what I did at first was this:
take the cardboard insert and reverse the folds so you have tow lanes instead of one. I'm not sure but I think this holds 2xcore + genesis cycle. Not sure this fits sleeved cards though.
OR:
cut two strips out of cardboard (or the insert) and make three lanes for yourself if there's not enough space (this takes sleeved cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One solution for a "Complete Game" could be to build 7 decks of 30 essential cards, then start every gaming session with a draft for the missing cards. That way, every game will be different and the opposing decks will always hold some surprises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the OP is looking for a "board game" experience where they can take Netrunner off their shelf and play a game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the OP is looking for a "board game" experience where they can take Netrunner off their shelf and play a game or two.

That's correct. My days of endlessly testing new decks for tournaments in neighboring states are well behind me. I can't keep up. Too many games, too little time. I just love Netrunner too much to forgo it completely. I want to be able to take it down and appreciate it from time to time.

If I had 7 different decks, I feel like that's 12 possible match-ups. It'd take a few years for that to go stale.

Appreciate all the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludus Rex wrote:
If I had 7 different decks, I feel like that's 12 possible match-ups. It'd take a few years for that to go stale.

24 matchups. Which side you're playing as makes a huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awww..I was hoping you were creating an actual Netrunner board game. That would be sweet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xerxes Praelor
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Okay; I've thought about it some. If you get two core sets and 4 packs, is that in your price range? If so, I have some decks for you that I think would work. The data packs are Cyber Exodus, Future Proof, Opening Moves, and True Colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
Ludus Rex wrote:

24 matchups. Which side you're playing as makes a huge difference.

Extra great point.

XerxesPraelor wrote:
Okay; I've thought about it some. If you get two core sets and 4 packs, is that in your price range? If so, I have some decks for you that I think would work. The data packs are Cyber Exodus, Future Proof, Opening Moves, and True Colors.

When you say "two core sets", do you mean 2 additional core sets, for a total of 3? Or do you mean 2 core sets total? Because if the former, do I really need to get 3 total core sets, or can I just get 2 core sets, then one set of the 3x cards from the core set? (Which is much cheaper)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xerxes Praelor
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Two total. (I've made do with two even as a tournament person.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy another core set so you have 2 core sets.

Then just use the preconstructed lists. You can have 2 games going on at the same time. It's cheap and there is plenty of game in the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Paterson
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
fameros wrote:
Ludus Rex wrote:
if you had $100 + 1 core set to build a complete Netrunner game, how would you do it?

C&C + H&P + O&C (to be released) + What Lies Ahead + Future Proof + Opening Moves + Double Time = $100

Years of casual netrunning.

This is a very solid list, the only thing that I'd be tempted to add (over budget) is a second core set as others have alluded too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xerxes Praelor
Switzerland
flag msg tools
http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/11961/nbn-less-than-100
http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/11957/hb-less-than-100
http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/11956/jinteki-less-than-1...
http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/11955/weyland-less-than-1...
http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/11960/anarch-4-packs
http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/11958/criminal-4-packs
http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/11959/shaper-4-packs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome builds! I noticed you used 4 of personal workshop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xerxes Praelor
Switzerland
flag msg tools
couteaupapillon wrote:
Awesome builds! I noticed you used 4 of personal workshop

Good catch! One Shaper copy can be Tinkering instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.