GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How to make video content? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I was wanting to make some video content for youtube, and a friend of mine suggested trying the boardgame route since its not as oversaturated as video games. My only issue with this is...how would one make that interesting to watch? Yeah they're fun to play but watching people play a boardgame seems kind of boring and I'm at a loss as to how to make palatable videos soblue Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a complete loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mb
Llez wrote:
I was wanting to make some video content for youtube, and a friend of mine suggested trying the boardgame route since its not as oversaturated as video games. My only issue with this is...how would one make that interesting to watch? Yeah they're fun to play but watching people play a boardgame seems kind of boring and I'm at a loss as to how to make palatable videos soblue Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a complete loss.

Check out the following:

Rahdo Runs Through
Board With Life
Shut Up and Sit Down

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Haronski
Germany
flag msg tools
Yeah, I guess that's no easy task, if you want to end up with something good. My advice would be:

1. Pick the most interesting game to watch
2. Do side commentary/interviews or talk through the important turns and explain your thought process. It's very entertaining to watch how players think about the plays they make.
3. Edit long and boring intervals out of the final video, summarize what happened if need be
4. Learn from the existing videos, the TableTop show is awesome to watch
5. JUST DO IT! At the start of a new project you'll always focus on the difficulties. Get your friends together, record a video, edit and post it. Learning by doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could scrap all of that and go with something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm6ymDyDDzE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
I watch boardgame videos all the time. If you are passionate about a subject your passion will guide you. Stop thinking about making youtube videos and think about WHY you would want to make them. Do you want to teach games? Do you want to review games? Or do you just want to be on youtube?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to comment or review a game, then you should probably include little carve outs and interviews during the video.

If you want to do play by play commentary, then you should pick something with a large following (CCG/LCGs for instance) and have something interseting to say.

If you just want to record games and put them on youtube, then maybe time lapse is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
All good suggestions and such so far I was planning on actually playing the games, maybe do an unboxing/explanation for new ones but actually playing them seems like the funner way to do things rather than sticking strictly to reviews, especially since i have no experience really reviewing stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then you should watch Rahdo run through some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all video content needs to be uploaded to the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:

Even though this might sound kinda harsh, I 100% agree with that.

My advice would be that you look what successful boardgaming-related youtubers do in their videos... and do something different. I honestly think that it isn't worth yours or the time of the audience if you do what's already there.
If you have a unique idea for a new format more power to you and I'll be the first one to subscribe. But I don't think that there's any demand for another unboxing-channel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhNz wrote:
ct5150 wrote:

Even though this might sound kinda harsh, I 100% agree with that.

My advice would be that you look what successful boardgaming-related youtubers do in their videos... and do something different. I honestly think that it isn't worth yours or the time of the audience if you do what's already there.
If you have a unique idea for a new format more power to you and I'll be the first one to subscribe. But I don't think that there's any demand for another unboxing-channel.
Yeah, all that. What strikes me as strange here is that OP is asking the question in the first place. If you don't have the ideas, nor the subject matter knowledge, I don't see that you've any reason to want to do it. Just liking the idea of doing a thing isn't enough to make it something worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Llez wrote:

I don't think you should do it. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of passion for something as involved as producing video content on board gaming. It's a lot of work with often times little reward just starting out. Jason pointed out some great series that show what you can do to make someone exciting. Look at those, think on it, and then reassess whether or not you want to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.