Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Strange white powder?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my KS copies in last weekend. So all my free time had been spent assembling models & learning the rules. I read the core rule book & just started going threw the city of the ancients adventure book.

I notice several pages that looked washed out. I thought "printing error?"

Then I ran my finger across the page. It had a. Odd rough texture. Unlike the gloss of the other pages. Looking at my finger tip, it was covered in a very fine white powder.

With some elbow grease I can wipe the pages clean of the substance with a dry paper towel.

My question is; Has any one else seen this? Did I just contract anthrax?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Small pox actually.

They REALLY want to immerse people in the wild west theme!

I have seen this before in other books. I believe it is something that can happen in the printing process. My brother-in-law works for a printing company, and he says that the rollers sometimes build up white power, which is actually shavings from the edges of thousands of sheets of paper rubbing against them, or being trimmed, depending on the binding process. There is a little tray thing that fills up with dust and shavings but it can be bumped and drop some of the paper dust on the final product. This is all third hand guessing from your description of course, but it's better than nothing I hope.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
It's probably the cocaine they bought with all that Kickstarter money.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LargeGoblin wrote:
It's probably the cocaine they bought with all that Kickstarter money.


It doesn't smell like cocaine.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
LargeGoblin wrote:
It's probably the cocaine they bought with all that Kickstarter money.


It doesn't smell like cocaine.


Then it's the really good stuff devil

OD
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Dwarf wrote:
acefury wrote:
LargeGoblin wrote:
It's probably the cocaine they bought with all that Kickstarter money.


It doesn't smell like cocaine.


Then it's the really good stuff devil

OD


Oooh; It must be the fabled "Targa Dust"!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joshua for your insight. I had assumed it had something to do with manufacturing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Gray
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
They fill molds there. It could be resin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be residue left over from the printing process. A number of printed products use a fine spray-on powder to dry the ink and ensure pages don't stick together. Usually cleaned off, but maybe they missed a page.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, it's just anthrax.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
I just got my KS copies in last weekend. So all my free time had been spent assembling models & learning the rules. I read the core rule book & just started going threw the city of the ancients adventure book.

I notice several pages that looked washed out. I thought "printing error?"

Then I ran my finger across the page. It had a. Odd rough texture. Unlike the gloss of the other pages. Looking at my finger tip, it was covered in a very fine white powder.

With some elbow grease I can wipe the pages clean of the substance with a dry paper towel.

My question is; Has any one else seen this? Did I just contract anthrax?!


Well if you're still around to read this, it's safe to assume you can relax now.

I've seen powder residue on other printed products in the past.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.