Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
i've been eyeballing Twilight Imperium and Nexus Ops at my FLGS for some time now. i just sold a bunch of books yesterday that were taking up space in my garage for $56... and i can get both aforementioned games for ~$108 (after tax), which brings my total to ~$52 for both (out of pocket).

i've also bought several games already this month... but i'm struggling with buying these two. Should i play it safe and go Nexus Ops with the cash (since it's $20) or jump for both? Argh, the cognitive dissonance can't seem to win over... help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
You nailed it on the head - i don't! However, the potential for a group does exist, but i won't know for several weeks.

That's a good point though... maybe i should wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Personally... I would be pretty certain I had a group in place that would be receptive to a 4hr+ heavy game that has the reputation for being a very Love/Hate type of affair before purchasing TI3.

It's true that it's hard to know until you try it with them but certainly Nexus Ops will be much easier to get into and get onto the table than TI3. It's much more middle-of-the-road yet still a fun game with decent strategy to it.

TI3 is one of those games that can be brilliant IF you have the right gamers to play it several times and get the full experience of repeated plays out of but it has a high potential to collect dust on the shelf if several in the group find it too long and heavy to get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
i definitely appreciate the advice. i'd love to play TI3, but i'm not sure if i can drum up enough interest to warrant the purchase.

On the same note, can anyone recommend any other SciFi games? Especially ones with solitare rules (or the potential to have solitaire play)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but Vanished Planet looks very interesting to me, and it has solitaire rules (in addition to the standard multi-player rules). Also note that it's a co-op game which may be a good, bad, or neutral thing for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an excellent list with some classic Sci-Fi games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and if you're looking for solitaire SciFi, take a look at this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2678

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.