Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now that I'm delving into the rules and having my first forays into the Magic Realm (albeit solo) just wondered why multiplayer can't be started with the solitaire rules. Seems more exciting to choose an entry road into the realm and keep the dwellings hidden. Anyone know of a reason not to do. Suppose it would be much harder on beginners.
Bought this for solo play but think I'm going to have to try and get my little group playing multi. To early for me to pass comment yet but liking very much so far. Thought it would be too niche and just for me but hoping my Sunday group can see past the old production values they might just dig it. Multi play looks like THE best way to play.
So any thoughts on starting a game this way, could it dissuade new players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
There is no reason it can't be done, but some characters may be at a disadvantage if they can't start at a friendly location and immediately hire some help or trade for better weapons.

Those characters will have to find the friendlies first, which could take a lot of time.

Alliances might be easier to form if characters all agree to start at the same clearing, where otherwise they would be limited to certain dwellings that could prevent some characters from starting together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Vaughan Edge wrote:
Now that I'm delving into the rules and having my first forays into the Magic Realm (albeit solo) just wondered why multiplayer can't be started with the solitaire rules. Seems more exciting to choose an entry road into the realm and keep the dwellings hidden. Anyone know of a reason not to do. Suppose it would be much harder on beginners.

I agree with Steve that this would certainly work, and might actually be kind of interesting, but it will definitely make for a much harder game.

Solo games with just a single character in play are actually kind of boring if you are used to the multiplayer game... there's just not too much happening when only a single character is running around the map. The official solo rules try to address this problem by using hidden Dwellings and double Monster Rolls to make the solo game more interesting and more of a challenge.

Vaughan Edge wrote:
Multi play looks like THE best way to play.

Multiplayer FTF is absolutely the best way to play; Multiplayer via PBEM with a gamemaster or a RealmSpeak server is a bit awkward in practice but still good, and solitaire play with a single character is a very distant third.

Of course, lots of players do love the solitaire version of Magic Realm, especially because RealmSpeak makes it so fast & easy to play. But, just for me personally, I find solitaire with a single character to be a pointless waste of time.

Vaughan Edge wrote:
So any thoughts on starting a game this way, could it dissuade new players?

New players can actually handle anything... *IF* at least one player at the table has the rules absolutely mastered. Our group never "dumbed down" our games if a beginner was joining us, and we played with most of the optional rules (including the optional combat rules) and our big Book of Quests variant. The beginners never had a problem with any of that, because the experts gave them plenty of assistance.

If, on the other hand, beginners are trying to learn the game on their own (without an experienced player present), then this option should definitely be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.