GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,805 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Taluva» Forums » General

Subject: Comparing Taluva to Attika? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy Attika. Someone (at some point, maybe on a forum over there) recommended Taluva as a more sophisticated alternative. At a $100 Kickstarter price point, I'm balking at backing without more feedback. (Big mistake for KS, IMHO.) Can anyone compare these games with a little perspective for me? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you read a review or two, you'll see that they are rather different. Attika is more euro-ish with various building types and generally more complex rules. Taluva's rules are more minimalist/abstract. You can download the rules and read them for yourself easily, as they are quite short and simple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Not really comparable, save from a points of view that both are race games, and both have several contrasting victory conditions exist which pull the game the individual gamers play in different directions... But I would still counter that Attika in practice only has one victory condition, and that the second only applies in oversights or lucky tile placement conditions. They are legitimate ways to win the game, of course, but the overall feel they invoke is not the same as in Taluva.

Taluva is rule-wise a lot less clunky than Attika, and has a much stronger abstract feel to it as a consequence.

Attika is more about civ-building than is Taluva.

Taluva is far more pleasing to look at.

Playing Taluva well is, imo, more demanding. Blocking can be accomplished in various ways (not to mention by going up); players must sometimes cooperate loosely to reign in a potential leader.

But I still wouldn't spend $100 on it, to be honest. I count myself lucky to own a HiG edition from back when the game was still going for a normal price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redlightgrnlight wrote:
My wife and I really enjoy Attika. Someone (at some point, maybe on a forum over there) recommended Taluva as a more sophisticated alternative. At a $100 Kickstarter price point, I'm balking at backing without more feedback. (Big mistake for KS, IMHO.) Can anyone compare these games with a little perspective for me? Thank you!

I agree with the general sentiment of the other posters. I own and play both Attika and Taluva. I would say that Attika is the more complex game although to be fair neither of them are really that complex. That doesn't mean they aren't good games (I really like both) but they are fairly light on rules (which is sometimes nice).

I think I got my copy of Taluva for $19.99. I saw the $100 kickstarter and thought the cost and over production was excessive for this particular title. Taluva is a good game but for me it is not a $100 game.

Regarding how they play they are both a bit abstract, Taluva more so. Both play fast (Taluva 20-30 minutes) although I find Attika takes just a bit longer (30 - 40 minutes). Attika has a bit more theme in it although not a lot. Taluva is easier to learn but both of them are pretty easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on pretty much all points. They're very different games and $100 for Taluva is way too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a bit pricey at $100. Its an abstract tile laying game. Good but not that amazing. I got the second printing for about $50 and it felt right....

I like it a lot. I like it more than attika (hence I own Taluva though I did have an opportunity to get Attika). But they are different beasts. I just found the Attika insta-win condition a little inelegant but its still a fine game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone. I got some feel for gameplay from the videos, but these comments are very helpful. All in all, not sure $100 is worth it for such an abstract game--oh well, I'll hold out for playing at a friend's one day. A real shame, too. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to assume that it can't cost that much more than $100 on the secondary market? As such I definitely agree with the try before buying approach!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.