7 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: First play through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ham Bone
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm getting ready to get a group together to play TI for the first time for all of us. My question is, should I just start with the base game, or should I just jump right in and include both or one expansion? If only one expansion, which one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
You will do fine either with just the base game or with the first expansion. Some will say that the game "needs" the expansion, but especially when you are just learning the game, the base game is just fine.

If you do opt to go with the expansion, the first one is the one to get to start with. The second one is more "advanced mode" type stuff, in a way. The first expansion is kind of an "enhanced mode" that can be played more easily with new and veteran players alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott covered it pretty well. Either just the base or base + shattered are the best ways to play for your first playthrough. I would also recommend leaving out most of the optional rules as well. Personally, I love the game without any expansions, it is by no means "needed" in order for the game to be fun. I don't know if it would help with the decision or not, but my group's first game was without any expansions (or optional rules).

Definitely give us an update on how the game night goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ham Bone
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks guys for the info. I will post an update. Right now I'm shooting for the Saturday after Christmas. I plan on reading through the rules, then "playing" a few rounds myself just to get a feel for things. So far it seems very similar to Eclipse (on a much grander scale of course), so I'm not overwhelmed by the rules, at least not yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second much of the above...and add "keep it simple, keep it simple, keep it simple."

One distinct advantage of playing the base game with few, or no, optional rules, is that you will focus on learning the basics of:
a. what command counters ARE and what they DO
b. scoring
c. what activating a system means and the "steps" that follow from activating a system

Then, if or when, you add optional rules or expansions, you will know more clearly why you do, or do not, prefer them.

ps - take out the Yssaril and the Naalu for your first game, it will make things easier

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mackenzie
msg tools
i would just stick with the base game for first time through, that way it does keep it quite simple. would leave out all optional rules (even leaders) and just have a good night , be prepared to make some fast rulings on what people can and cant do or just allow it to happen if you are unsure just to have a good game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ham Bone
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, first I want to once again thank everybody for their input and suggestions. It was very helpful information. I had read the rulebook twice and some areas more than that, as well as watching a series of 9 videos on You Tube which helped to visually reinforce what I had read. I prepared more for this game than any other up to this point and I believe it paid off greatly as there were plenty of questions to be answered. I knew most of the answers and was able to quickly locate them in the rulebook for verification / clarification when needed. Here is a recap of how the game went. It took approximately 9 1/2 hours, and the GAME OVER card was drawn in the 7th round. The most victory points accumulated was 6. Overall things went smoothly, there were two of us (out of four) that had played Eclipse and Axis and Allies numerous times so the rules and mechanics came fairly easily to us. The other two have little to no gaming experience but caught on quickly for the most part. The biggest snag was which command counters to spend, and when as well as the activation sequence. One individual in particular struggled with the activation portion throughout the entire game. We played just the base set with no optional rules or variants and didn't leave out any of the races during the initial game setup. I am looking forward to a second play through and next time I plan on adding the base set rules variants as well as start incorporating aspects of the two expansions. A great time was had by most (one took it very poorly in the end and "took his ball and went home" so to speak) and other than the time factor we are eagerly awaiting the next opportunity. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.