GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,300 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
541 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: EH PBF #12: Waves of Past and Future rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waves of Past and Future

Mountains of Madness has been "on the boat" for a significantly long time. Lacking any clue how long it will take to get past the dockworker slowdown/customs/deep ones on board, I'm going to be starting a new PBF now. It will be using the base game plus Forsaken Lore; players must have copies of both games to join. Additionally, I will be allowing players to use things from MoM that have already been spoilered somewhere (specifically: focus actions, and the characters George, Agnes, Patrice, and Finn... plus, if you can track down the links, I believe Tommy and Ursula were also spoilered, but I couldn't find the link, so if you want to use either of them, you'll have to do your own tracking down of that link. Starting assets for these characters will be chosen by me, unless they were also spoilered.) In addition, I may allow some of the custom characters I designed a while back. If you want to use any, please contact me via private message with the character you want to use. (I'm being cautious at the moment because some characters are undergoing redesign for use with MoM.)

Because I'm allowing house rules, any player invited who declines to join will not be penalized on the waiting list. People who don't respond will me noted accordingly, though.

If you're not familiar with Play By Forum games, I encourage you to skim through a few of them first. I will be sending out invites to players on the waiting list; if you want to get involved in a PBF game, please get your name on that list.

Seating arrangement will be done in order of player invites. Investigators will be chosen on a first come, first served basis. Conditional choices ("If the AO is XXX, then...") are allowed, as is "I would like to see the ancient one first". The Ancient One will be chosen by player vote; ties will be broken in favor of the one chosen least in prior games, followed by the one voted for first.

I will be making my own flavor text for some encounters, to make them more topical. Skill checks, choices, and rewards/penalties will not be changed. I do own an early version of Mountains of Madness, and may use encounters from those cards that involve focus tokens. Text on those WILL be altered.

The game will start when we have six players. If we don't have six acceptances by Friday afternoon (US eastern time zone), I'll send out additional invites.

Player invites and accepts:
Solidy
Gustav154

Nightxday— Agnes Baker
Lielay
Krysmopompas— George Barnaby
Tajs— Lily Chen

Alternates:
Coinspnnr
Turgul
Nobody82b— Patrice Hathaway
Patparker— Akachi Onyele

Ancient one votes:
Cthulhu (1)
Yog-Sothoth (1)

Rules and game notes:
* This will be a six player game.
* Typical PBF games go 1-2 months each. Before joining the game, please make sure you can check in at least daily during that period to make moves. If you're going to be on vacation, have something in real life come up, or whatnot, please ask someone to make moves for you until you return. If you accept, subscribe to the thread.
* When making moves, use the banners in this thread at the top of your post, so everyone knows who's making it. If on a mobile device or otherwise unable to post a banner, put your name at the top of the post. Note: if anyone ends up using characters not currently in that post, I can contact the designer, or make different banners for the game.)
* We'll be using the common PBF formatting: normal text for discussions, bold text for moves, and italic text for flavor text
* Flavor text is allowed, but not required. I may reskin encounters to match the investigator's backstory, current location, or for any other flavor-based reason.
* To keep the game flowing, please use conditional orders (for example "If anyone gets hurt this bad, use the Flesh Ward spell. If I fail, use up to two clues to reroll.") I will be making combat rolls, at least at the start.
* Players should make their own rolls during the action phases, using the "roll" button, then using the formula "Xd6c[5]" (where X is the number of dice rolled and 5 is the usual success number needed). If needed, there's a pretty good explanation of the dice rolling available by hitting the roll button, then the "help" button. Do not roll any dice, though, until after the lead investigator for the turn has been chosen, and anyone before you in turn order who could be affected by the dice results has committed to their actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #12 (name to be determined)
Hey Xelto I'd love to join thanks!

As mentioned in my PM to you, my copy of EH and FL are both in my hometown (along with the whole set of AH stuff)...but I'll be back there in 3 weeks and I've played EH with the FL so much before I left I think most of the items and spells are ingrained in my brain.
So with your ok I'll confirm.

I was originally going to stick to investigators I'm familiar with, but I did see my favourite AH investigator on the MoM mini site so I have to put him as my first choice:

1) George Barnaby
followed by
2) Leo Anderson
3) Akachi Onyele

I'll be happy with whatever AO the gang likes

K.

Edited to reflect George as top choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stim
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ready to step in if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chong Zheng
Malaysia
Ampang
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, Xelto for the invite. I'm in !

And for my character, I will choose in order.

From this website,

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5145

1. Agnes Baker (Location : Arkham according to the website, i think. Starting item: Profane Tome .)
2. Finn Edwards
3. Norman Withers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightxday wrote:
Thanks, Xelto for the invite. I'm in !

And for my character, I will choose in order.

From this website,

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5145

1. Agnes Baker (Location : Arkham according to the website, i think. Starting item: Profane Tome .)

London, actually, unless that got changed. Starting spell: 1custom12{Blessing of isis;Clairvoyance;Conjuration;Feed the Mind;Flesh Ward;Healing Words;Instill Bravery;Mists of Releh;Plumb the Void;Poison Mist;Shriveling;Wither} -> ( Instill Bravery) -> ( Instill Bravery)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 633469. Xelto
  • 1custom12{Blessing of isis;Clairvoyance;Conjuration;Feed the Mind;Flesh Ward;Healing Words;Instill Bravery;Mists of Releh;Plumb the Void;Poison Mist;Shriveling;Wither} =
  • ( Instill Bravery) =
  • ( Instill Bravery)
  • spell:
  • Thu Dec 4, 2014 3:49 am
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools
Xelto wrote:
PBF #12 starting up!

Additionally, I will be allowing players to use things from MoM that have already been spoilered somewhere (specifically: focus actions, and the characters George, Agnes, Patrice, and Finn... plus, if you can track down the links, I believe Tommy and Ursula were also spoilered, but I couldn't find the link, so if you want to use either of them, you'll have to do your own tracking down of that link.

Two versions of Tommy Muldoon are found here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1226632/needless-speculation...

Not sure what the final one is, but I think the second is the later source.

Ursula is hard to read in the pictures, but ability one is like Silas for uncharted paths. Based on her character description from a preview I would guess her skills are 3 Lore/Observation/Strength and 2 Influence/Willpower

Post 7 in this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1254745/session-and-overview...

also has stats for Wilson Richards and Daisy Walker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I gladly accept the invite Xelto!

I'll go for:
Lily Chen / Leo Anderson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chong Zheng
Malaysia
Ampang
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh well, London then. I also leave the choice of GOO to the other players too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Parker
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am available if you need me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it all gang -

btw X, do you know where George starts the game? He should begin with the Pocket Watch and an Investment task, right?

tx
K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krysmopompas wrote:
Looking forward to it all gang -

btw X, do you know where George starts the game? He should begin with the Pocket Watch and an Investment task, right?

tx
K.

He starts in Bombay, and yes, pocket watch and investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cooley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm available if you need me, though it looks like you will have six without me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coinspnnr decided to bow out and catch the next game. So Torgul, Nobody82b, and Patparker, you're all in. Please choose characters and if you care, vote for the Ancient One you will face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Coinspnnr decided to bow out and catch the next game. So Torgul, Nobody82b, and Patparker, you're all in. Please choose characters and if you care, vote for the Ancient One you will face.

Yay!

Can I chose Patrice?
Where does she start? Does she get any other starting possession besides the Banishment spell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Parker
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great - I will choose Akachi Onyele, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
Xelto wrote:

Yay!

Can I chose Patrice?
Where does she start? Does she get any other starting possession besides the Banishment spell?

I don't recall her starting location or possessions off the top of my head, but will have them available for you at the start of the game— note that any starting items from MoM will be substituted with something from base game/FL.

As only the front of the banishment spell has been spoilered, the card-back effects will be designed by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

(using the AH image as it's better than none at all - plus I have a soft spot for it: )

Since we're all avoiding a vote on AO (yes that includes myself), I'll throw one out there: I vote for Cthulhu!

Go big or go home!

hugs
K./Lawyer George
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krysmopompas wrote:

(using the AH image as it's better than none at all - plus I have a soft spot for it: )

I was playing around... I want to get opinions on these banners— is it worth doing more of them?

I like NASA's policy of posting cool photos. Though as an aside, I can tone down any of them. I managed to get some rather bright pictures, looking at the finished product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You're a star X; George was considering taking up more of a "New Age, Healing Crystal-Friendly" lifestyle after his wife was murdered, and I think you've nailed it!

I'm totally using this

hugs
Lawyer George: )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chong Zheng
Malaysia
Ampang
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
It's awesome! Thanks for the pic! It shows that my magic power is continuing become stronger and bigger as galaxy! Oops not that strong enough to beat the GOO yet. So, I'm kinda need everybody's help here. whistlewhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Parker
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

For the AO, I vote for Yog-Sothoth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Kudos on the banners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stim
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Let's get this party started
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turgul wrote:

Let's get this party started

Use whichever banner you prefer. I'll have the game set up in a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The votes were tied at 1-1. Technically, we had more games with Cthulhu, but the first two were both aborted before they got very far, and I just finished up a game running Yoggy, so... snake-face it is!

As noted earlier, I'll be substituting base game/forsaken lore items for any item not fully spoiled, and/or making up my own effects. Therefore: Agnes gets a random spell. The effects of Patrice's banishment spell were created by me, and they don't match any of the actual spell cards. George's investment, during a reckoning, may be used to discard a debt.

In almost every group I've been to, if Charlie Kane is in the game, he's the starting player, so we're going to follow tradition.

Starting clues: 3custom36{1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;San Francisco;Arkham;Bueños Aires;London;Rome;Istanbul;Shanghai;Tokyo;Sydney;Amazon;Pyramds;Heart of Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica} -> ( 7 21 12) -> ( 7 21 12)
Starting expedition: 1custom6{Amazon;Pyramids;Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica} -> ( Africa) -> ( Africa)
Starting gates: Istanbul monster: 1d35 = (29) = 29 (skeleton), Sydney monster: 1d35 = (26) = 26 (riot)

Starting mystery: The Stars Are Right. Clue on space 7 moves to space 8. Clue on space 21 moves to either space 18 or Antarctica. Charlie, as lead investigator, which space do you want to move it to? (The map will show faded clues on both spaces; only one of them is accurate.)

I'm going to be trying to simply use random rolls to determine random monsters this game, and see how that works. Because the randomizer function on this board has a character limit of something like 256 characters, I can't put the names in, so I'm merely going to do a 1d35 roll, and compare it to the following table:
1 Byakhee
2 Colour out of Space
3 Cthonian
4 Cultist 1
5 Cultist 2
6 Cultist 3
7 Cultist 4
8 Cultist 5
9 Cultist 6
10 Dark Young
11 Deep One
12 Elder Thing
13 Ghost
14 Ghoul 1
15 Ghoul 2
16 Gnoph-keh
17 Goat Spawn 1
18 Goat Spawn 2
19 Gug
20 Hound of Tindalos
21 Lloigor
22 Maniac
23 Mi-go
24 Mummy
25 Nightgaunt
26 Riot
27 Serpent people
28 Shoggoth
29 Skeleton
30 Star spawn
31 Vampire
32 Warlock
33 Wraith
34 Witch
35 Zombie

If the monster chosen is already on the board or reserved by the ancient one, I'll redraw. You don't have to memorize this chart; I'll let you know what the draw means. Hopefully, this will save me a bit of hassle during those random moments, but if not, I'll revert to pulling monster chits from a bag.

Monsters with numbers (cultist, ghoul, and goat spawn) will only be used if there are fewer of that type of monster already on the board than their number. So cultist 2 will not show up if there are already two cultists on the board, but will show up if there is one or none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 634668. Xelto
  • 3custom36{1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;San Francisco;Arkham;Bueños Aires;London;Rome;Istanbul;Shanghai;Tokyo;Sydney;Amazon;Pyramds;Heart of Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica} =
  • ( 7 21 12) =
  • ( 7 21 12)
  • clues:
  • Sat Dec 6, 2014 2:45 pm
  • [+]
  • 634669. Xelto
  • 1custom6{Amazon;Pyramids;Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas;Antarctica} =
  • ( Africa) =
  • ( Africa)
  • expedition:
  • Sat Dec 6, 2014 2:47 pm
  • [+]
  • 634670. Xelto
  • 1d35 =
  • (29) =
  • monster:
  • Sat Dec 6, 2014 2:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 634671. Xelto
  • 1d35 =
  • (26) =
  • monster:
  • Sat Dec 6, 2014 2:48 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.