GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,839 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking for interesting board games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roddy R
msg tools
Hi there, I'm new to the board here. I've got a small board game collection right now, but I'm looking for something new or unique. So what kind of games would you guys suggest I look into? For the sake of not biasing comments I'm not going to post what games I currently have. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeze...

There are 60,000 games in the database. Without any guidance as to what games you like, or what kind of game that you are looking for, how is anyone supposed to make a recommendation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kvam
Norway
Hundeidvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just get Alien Frontiers thats all you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd suggest keeping tabs on the Recommendations forums and see if any of those conversations give you the spark of an idea. That would be the appropriate place for this post in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
roddyrick wrote:
Hi there, I'm new to the board here. I've got a small board game collection right now, but I'm looking for something new or unique. So what kind of games would you guys suggest I look into? For the sake of not biasing comments I'm not going to post what games I currently have. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Posting what you have is actually a good way for people to see what you like and make recommendations based on that. Since your collection is so small, it shouldn't be hard to add them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, post a list and I would be happy to try to offer some guidence. I'll also tell you some pitfalls to potentially avoid. Feel free to post here or geek mail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roddy R
msg tools
Ok you guys make a fair point. I was just hoping more or less to get some suggestions/ideas and see what people like and have interest in. Most of my games are very similar in nature, so I was hoping to just get a few ideas.

Last night on earth.
Betrayal at house on the hill.
Munchkin
Dominion
Talisman
Castle ravenloft
Pandemic
Gloom
Fluxx
King of tokyo

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I tend to enjoy more of the adventure kind of board games. But I'm open to trying new things, and I'm looking for some suggestions about other non-adventurey board games I should look into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what most people like:
http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Weirich
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roddyrick wrote:
Ok you guys make a fair point. I was just hoping more or less to get some suggestions/ideas and see what people like and have interest in. Most of my games are very similar in nature, so I was hoping to just get a few ideas.

Last night on earth.
Betrayal at house on the hill.
Munchkin
Dominion
Talisman
Castle ravenloft
Pandemic
Gloom
Fluxx
King of tokyo

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I tend to enjoy more of the adventure kind of board games. But I'm open to trying new things, and I'm looking for some suggestions about other non-adventurey board games I should look into.

I would recommend a worker placement game like Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age.

Alien Frontiers is also a good suggestion, and mixes in some area control

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as Herb said, there's a lot to pick from so without a clue as to your likes and dislikes it gonna be hard.

I might suggest you look at the Dicetower's People's choice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCjs3h7HZoA

Or take the top 10 or 20 in the BoardGameGeek list.

Then investigate, there's a lot of resources on the web, I find seeing good play throughs help me see if I like the flow of the game. BGG's Gamenight! are very good, Whatch It Played! by Rodney is also good so is Rahdo Runs Through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
All good suggestions, definitely look into one of those two worker placement.

If you have 2 players, I think you'd really dig Claustrophobia. Amazing game!

More people? Descent 2.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roddy R
msg tools
curtc wrote:

The main reason I asked as opposed to looking at the list again, is I'm hoping for opinion's from people. I've looked at that list multiple times, but there isn't anything that jumps out at me as "This is a thing I need".

Lords of waterdeep was never something that jumped out at me and my play group unfortunately. I've been trying to get everyone to play smallworld for over a month and nobody will even consider playing it. So I'm not sure how worker placement would go. I've played carcasonne with one of them before and they liked that though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mb
Welcome to BGG! It would help us, the recommenders, if you were to at the very least put some ratings down on the games you've played, especially the ones you love AND the ones you hate. Otherwise, you'll just have people slinging suggestions at you without consideration of what you're into. For instance, Lords of Waterdeep is really kind of a dry worker placement game with a pasted on D&D theme. It's no adventure game, so you may not like it (although I have to say it does what it does very well).

For adventure games, maybe you could look into:

Galaxy Defenders
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Nexus Ops
Eldritch Horror
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

But, if you're just looking to try new things, and get others to try, here is a variety of pretty good lighter games:

Alhambra
Bohnanza
BANG!
Citadels
Guillotine
Ticket to Ride
Taj Mahal
Thebes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
►This post from "What ONE game would you recommend as an entry-level game for each of the main types?" could be helpful.

PS: This belongs in the ►Recommendations forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see an opening or two in your list for games like:

Shadows over Camelot(Or for a sci-fi theme, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game)

Cosmic Encounter(in case you want MORE sci-fi)

Small World(for lite conquest games with a humorous feel)

Zombicide(to play at the end of the night!)

Dead Panic (for a cabin-filled zombie romp)

Arkham Horror (or Eldritch Horror (or A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game for less than 5 hours of fun!)

And one of the many versions of Love Letter for a 4 person filler.

Fresco and Trajan are good worker-placement type games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republic of Rome or Kremlin.

These are different enough from what you already have to possibly be the kind of new thing you're looking for, but like most of your current games they're still theme-heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything at or above 7.5 in my rated games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roddyrick wrote:
curtc wrote:

The main reason I asked as opposed to looking at the list again, is I'm hoping for opinion's from people.

The thing is, those ratings are opinions, from many thousands of people. That seems a lot more reliable than what one random person whose taste you don't know tells you in your thread. You can also click on any game, then click the "Comments" button to see the comments from people. You can see comments from people who like the game, comments from people who don't like the game. See what other games people who like a particular game also like, etc.

I am not meaning to be snarky, but rather genuinely helpful. But if you already knew all that, then carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Sail to India. I think it's probably my favorite game right now. It's very inexpensive. It packs a lot of game into a small box and short playtime. I just think it's really fun and I don't get to play it nearly often enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend that you view some videos showing the gameplay of games you think you might be interested in. The games suggested so far are great games, but the theme or the mechanics of some of them might not appeal to you once you start playing yourself. As an example, I bought "Lewis & Clark" because the historical theme sounded interesting, but I've yet to get it to the table.

So... take some of the suggestions given, do a board game search for them at the top of the screen on this website, and look at the videos available for that game. That will lead you to reviews and gameplays that can help you determine whether that game is a good fit for you and the people you play with.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
so i started creating this table. it needs a few more entries...

abstract fantasy historical party sci fi/space train war western zombies
economic
worker placement lords of waterdeep manhattan project
ccg/lcg/deck constuctor magic
co-op castle panic
dice kingsburg alien frontiers
dexterity catacombs
area control small world nexus ops oregon
hidden role citadels BSG bang!
auction
card
minatures warhammer x-wing zombicide
bluffing cosmic encounter
deck builder dominion lewis and clark star realms a few acres of snow
judge/voting apples to apples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Alex: Nice idea. Still, the table is not perfect, as crossing some categories is not possible (dice + area control = Lords of Vegas). Also, how about categories like deduction, engine-building, active/passive storytelling, card-drafting or horror ?

From the top of my head:

Economic - Historical: Concordia

Worker Placement - Sci-Fi: Alien Frontiers
Worker Placement - Historical: Yedo

LCG - Sci-Fi: Android: Netrunner

Co-op - Fantasy: Defenders of the Realm
Co-op - Historical: Freedom: The Underground Railroad
Co-op - Party: Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Co-op - Sci-Fi: Gears of War: The Board Game

Dice - Zombies: Zombie Dice
Dice - Historical: Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age
Dice - Western: BANG! The Dice Game
Dice - War: D-Day Dice

Dexterity - Party: Terror in Meeple City

Area control - Historical: Rococo

Hidden Role - Sci-Fi: The Resistance
Hidden Role - Zombies: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

Auction - Historical: Pergamon

Card - Sci-Fi: Race for the Galaxy or Among the Stars
Card - Party: Dixit or Cards Against Humanity or Mascarade

Miniatures - Fantasy: Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Miniatures - War: Memoir '44
Miniatures - Western (+ Horror): Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients

Bluffing - Party: Sheriff of Nottingham

...and plenty more.

I am sure I already missed plenty of those that I even own, but let's hear some other opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being slightly pedantic, I'd call something like Cosmic Encounter a "Diplomatic" or "Political" game, as opposed to a "Bluffing" one.

"Bluffing" is both too broad and not broad enough at the same time. It arguably excludes something like Junta (which I think most Cosmic Encounter players would enjoy), while including very different games like Werewolf

Kyur wrote:
Still, the table is not perfect, as crossing some categories is not possible

I suspect that's inevitable. On the whole, I think you'll need to make an arbitrary decision about what a game's primary focus is.

So while Virgin Queen has significant political elements, it's still essentially a war game at core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
roddyrick wrote:
curtc wrote:

The main reason I asked as opposed to looking at the list again, is I'm hoping for opinion's from people.

The thing is, those ratings are opinions, from many thousands of people. That seems a lot more reliable than what one random person whose taste you don't know tells you in your thread.
Soliciting opinions from random strangers doesn't seem like a good plan to find games you like. But I'm not sure that the BGG game rankings are necessarily better. They're an aggregate average, but there's no guarantee that those are going to fit you any better than any particular random person.

What might be the best method is putting up a list of games you love and asking "Who else loves these games?" and then asking the people who also share your tastes what other games they'd recommend for you. Or if you want to be more proactive about it, you can use the correlation tool (see link in my profile) to find users who rate games similarly to you. Or you can pick games you know well and feel strongly about and look at the stats data (from the BGG game pages) and look for comments/ratings that you find informative about those games. Go look at the other comments/ratings by those users and if they seem to match your own opinions, geekbuddy them. Then you can look at new games you don't know and see the geekbuddy analysis (also in the stats section under the game page) and specifically only see the comments and ratings from the people you've geekbuddied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Soliciting opinions from random strangers doesn't seem like a good plan to find games you like. But I'm not sure that the BGG game rankings are necessarily better.

I would argue that they are. By far.

Thunkd wrote:
They're an aggregate average, but there's no guarantee that those are going to fit you any better than any particular random person.

Not a guarantee. But an increased likelihood.

Thunkd wrote:
What might be the best method is putting up a list of games you love and asking "Who else loves these games?" and then asking the people who also share your tastes what other games they'd recommend for you.

He was first asking with no such list, as an acknowledged new gamer. Then later added a short list and specifically asked for stuff different than that, not similar to that. In both cases the general rankings seem most appropriate.

Yes, there are certainly better ways to find matches with more input data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.