GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,798 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Timo Aho
Finland
Kirkkonummi
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
noppagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

MICRO CIVILIZATION
SHUFFLE, DIVIDE AND CONQUER

Civilization building game
2 Players
10-15 minutes

This is my submission for the 18 Card microgame Contest.

INTRODUCTION
I've been playing Through the Ages lately, so when I heard about this cool contests a couple of days ago, I immediately decided to make a micro-civilization game. I like the crazy idea of trying to put hours and hours worth of civilization building into a total of 18 cards and 10 minutes of playing time. Obviously it cannot be done but I think what I came up with is fun nevertheless.

DOWNLOAD THE GAME HERE
Pdf-file, 4 pages, paper size Letter, suitable for 2-sided printing.

Alternatively, you can download individual high resolution card images here.

OBJECT OF THE GAME
Object of the game is to build your civilization from humble beginnings to greatness. At the end of the game you get victory points from Prestige icons that your civilization has collected, and also from the longest Wall your civilization has built.

There are three civilizations to choose from: Rome, Greece, Babylon and Egypt.

RESOURCES

Your civilization may use all visible resources on your Tableau. There are three basic resources: Military, Science and Gold. Prestige icons have no effect during the game but they convert into VP's at the end of the game. Each card also has a piece of Wall on one of its 4 sides. By placing the cards in a certain way, you might be able to build a long Wall and score a lot of points!

RULES
These are the rules you get with the game printed on one two-sided card. They are not ideal I know, but hopefully it will get you started. If you have any questions, just ask.

CARDS
18 two-sided cards. Paper size is Letter but A4 printing should be fine as long as you do not mess around with the aspect ratio. Click the image to download the pdf-file.

If you have any feedback, questions about the rules, or other comments, please let me know. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heck of a last minute entry out of left field. will be printing this tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you say to place the new card on top of the existing card but your example in the rules has it underneath the exisitng card

can i place cards in any of the four sides available on any card in the tableau?

you do not state what the blue icon is? i suppose science?

when i make sure i have the upkeep costs i guess i am looking at the center symbol on the card which was just overlapped by the new card? and is only the overlapping card the one which must have an icon on it to meet the upkeep?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Aho
Finland
Kirkkonummi
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
noppagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
you say to place the new card on top of the existing card but your example in the rules has it underneath the exisitng card

Hmm.. not sure what you mean but on my screen the Aristotle card is on top of the Greece starting card. Or at least part of it. Or are you talking about something else?

dumarest123 wrote:
can i place cards in any of the four sides available on any card in the tableau?

Yes.

dumarest123 wrote:
you do not state what the blue icon is? i suppose science?

Yes. I'll add them in the rules later. I was in a rush so the rules are pretty weak atm. Getting everything to fit on one card is a pain.

dumarest123 wrote:
when i make sure i have the upkeep costs i guess i am looking at the center symbol on the card which was just overlapped by the new card? and is only the overlapping card the one which must have an icon on it to meet the upkeep?

Good question.

The way it works is that your Tableu needs to be legal at all times. And it is legal only when you have a resource (big icon) for each corresponding Upkeep icon (small with black cross) on your Tableau. When you place new cards, things change because you both cover old icons and reveal new ones. After this change happens, everything gets re-evaluated. And if it would make your Tableau illegal in any way, you cannot place that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah i see now i was reading the diagram backwards. was expecting the first card to be put to the right of the starting card, not the left

ok so the overall center icons must all be accounted for by card edge icons

and the wall is that thick gray line on the edge of the cards, so when i calculate the longest i count each card edge segment of the wall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Aho
Finland
Kirkkonummi
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
noppagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
ok so the overall center icons must all be accounted for by card edge icons

Yes, exactly.

dumarest123 wrote:
and the wall is that thick gray line on the edge of the cards, so when i calculate the longest i count each card edge segment of the wall?

The longest Wall is calculated by going from point A to B without turning back at any point. Imagine walking on top of the Wall. So if you reach a part where the Wall goes to two different directions, you need to pick one direction, and any pieces of Wall in that other direction are not scored.

I didn't explain this in the card because of lack of time and English skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reading through the rules and looking at the theme, this looks like it might be one of my favorite games from the contest. I've never played any civilization building board or card games before but I like the tile laying aspect. Once I have time to print this and find someone to play it with, I'll report back with our reaction (probably around the end of the month).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have individual card images somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Aho
Finland
Kirkkonummi
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
noppagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
Just reading through the rules and looking at the theme, this looks like it might be one of my favorite games from the contest. I've never played any civilization building board or card games before but I like the tile laying aspect. Once I have time to print this and find someone to play it with, I'll report back with our reaction (probably around the end of the month).

Awesome, thanks.

hanibalicious wrote:
Do you have individual card images somewhere?

Well, I have now. Here you go. Let me know if that was not what you were looking for. I used high quality so it's around 25MB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks great. First of five that I plan to print and play from the contest. Only problem I'm having currently... is your game isn't very black and white printer friendly. I might end up taking felts to the cards to help clarify what is what. Hope to play in the next week or so, will provide other feedback soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Aho
Finland
Kirkkonummi
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
noppagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DjFIL wrote:
Looks great. First of five that I plan to print and play from the contest. Only problem I'm having currently... is your game isn't very black and white printer friendly. I might end up taking felts to the cards to help clarify what is what. Hope to play in the next week or so, will provide other feedback soon.

Thanks for mentioning this. I helped me to realize that I need to redo the shapes. Even though the resources can be differentiated by colour, there's no need for them to have the same exact background shape (circle). In the next improved version I will use both different colours and different shapes to really make the resources stand out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Stiefel
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have printed this one out and have played with 2 different people so far. I really enjoyed this game and thought it packed a lot in to the few cards.

The game makes you think and plan strategically. To me it seemed that every card gave you an abundance of one of the resources and then you went and spent it. No one ever seemed to worry too much about their wall length though because gaining resources seemed more important.

One comment about the end of the game. If one player is behind in points and there are no more cards face down, he cannot draw a card otherwise the next player will spend his 2 actions to pick up the last cards. This mechanism seemed to end the game sooner then it should have.

Overall, my favorite of the few I have played so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Marquis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jajas83 wrote:
No one ever seemed to worry too much about their wall length though because gaining resources seemed more important.

After a few plays my thoughts were pretty much this. Fun and well designed, but it might be in need of something like a VP bonus for longest wall. Currently getting resources does seem like the primary concern over wall building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Wilson

Emporia
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I am missing something. The first player only gets one action and a player loses as soon as he has zero cards in his hand after a military action. How does the game get past turn 1?

* Player 1 spends 1 AP to draw a card.

* Player 2 spends 2 AP to activate military and take player 1's only card. Game ends immediately and player 1 loses.

Or is it that a player loses if a card should be drawn by a military action and there are no cards to draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Aho
Finland
Kirkkonummi
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
noppagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A million thanks to everyone who have tested this so far!

jajas83 wrote:
I have printed this one out and have played with 2 different people so far. I really enjoyed this game and thought it packed a lot in to the few cards.

The game makes you think and plan strategically. To me it seemed that every card gave you an abundance of one of the resources and then you went and spent it. No one ever seemed to worry too much about their wall length though because gaining resources seemed more important.

One comment about the end of the game. If one player is behind in points and there are no more cards face down, he cannot draw a card otherwise the next player will spend his 2 actions to pick up the last cards. This mechanism seemed to end the game sooner then it should have.

Yes, you could be right. Maybe there is a better way to end the game. I could always change the rules so that when player A takes the last card, player B still has one last turn. I'll have to test it. Thanks for pointing it out.

amarquis wrote:
After a few plays my thoughts were pretty much this. Fun and well designed, but it might be in need of something like a VP bonus for longest wall. Currently getting resources does seem like the primary concern over wall building.

This is a really good idea. It's something I will definitely implement. I like the idea of getting points for each piece of the wall AND a bonus for having the longest wall.

locusts_2000 wrote:
Perhaps I am missing something. The first player only gets one action and a player loses as soon as he has zero cards in his hand after a military action. How does the game get past turn 1?

* Player 1 spends 1 AP to draw a card.

* Player 2 spends 2 AP to activate military and take player 1's only card. Game ends immediately and player 1 loses.

Or is it that a player loses if a card should be drawn by a military action and there are no cards to draw?

Rules are probably not 100% clear on this. Game ends on military defeat if you don't have enough cards to give to the other player. Giving all your cards is not a problem.

During round 1, player A always takes 1 card. If player B is Rome (extra military), he may immediately attack, but he will only get that 1 card. I tried to design the game so that you need 2+ more military than the other guy for it to be really useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this downloaded for a week and finally printed it today. I'm excited to try it tomorrow after looking through how the cards need to balance one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played solo first & then 2 player. Your g is a great strategy thinker! Love the paying for resources mechanic. Was confused re the '...each player takes a Civilization card..' I thought it was a card from the 1,2,3 decks not the countries, which I found (eventually) mixed in with my Civ deck...yeah...anyways never played a Civilization game before but we loved it.Very balanced & stable we felt. I had one surprise win re declare war...the fact that my opponent had no military & was keen to build a massive wall...adding up just those wall lengths was fun too!

We both learned a lesson re cards in hand. It's such a fun game. I feel it has an unlimited replayability & will get a heap of plays. Great game! THANKYOU!

If there was a chance of more cards allowed in the game I'd love to see an expansion of the military, more tactical/units that had been built with battles.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atakan Gurkan
Turkey
Çankaya
Ankara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Timo,

Thanks for this game. I plan to print and play it this weekend. Really looking forward to it.

I have two questions about the rules. (1) Does a player have to spend their EPs? For example, can a player choose to draw a card (hence spend an EP) but not to put it on their tableau? (2) When tie-breaking do we ignore the military upkeeps?

I translated the rules into Turkish and also incorporated the clarifications in this thread. Is there a page for this game where I can upload it? At the moment, it resides here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3IuqhT1glBJUEoxYlNJQVdIUm...

cheers,
atakan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atakan Gurkan
Turkey
Çankaya
Ankara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again,

I have one more question. Each card I put down has to be above the cards that are already part of the tableau, right? Can I put a card below the cards in the tableau and hence cover the symbol on the card I am putting down, rather than covering the symbols on the card put down before?

cheers,
atakan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
atogurkan wrote:
Hello again,

I have one more question. Each card I put down has to be above the cards that are already part of the tableau, right? Can I put a card below the cards in the tableau and hence cover the symbol on the card I am putting down, rather than covering the symbols on the card put down before?

cheers,
atakan

I could be mistaken, but in Gameplay, rule B, it says that placed cards must overlap existing cards. I take that to mean that new cards cannot be placed below cards on the tableau.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atakan Gurkan
Turkey
Çankaya
Ankara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoshim wrote:
atogurkan wrote:
Hello again,

cheers,
atakan

I could be mistaken, but in Gameplay, rule B, it says that placed cards must overlap existing cards. I take that to mean that new cards cannot be placed below cards on the tableau.

You are right of course. Somehow I read that as "overlap with existing cards", which made it ambiguous for me.

Thanks!

atakan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atakan Gurkan
Turkey
Çankaya
Ankara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again,

We played it this weekend and really liked the game. It is short but very enjoyable. To quote my opponent: "It is an ideal game for determining who will do the dishes" :-)Thanks a lot!

I have a new question and an idea. Can we put the cards upside-down? We decided that we could and played that way. It is the result of our house meta-rule: Everything is allowed unless explicitly forbidden. This brought up an idea that may be of interest: How about making the cards square? This way they can be put both upside down and sideways (like in Carcassonne); we thought this might make the game richer.

cheers,

atakan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I particularly like this one. Thanks for such a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico ..
France
villecresnes
france
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When i play, people likes it but i have some questions :

Like it was say, can we put card upside-down ? if yes, it will be great to write the text in both side

can we leave "blanck" square without card ?

the icons in the midlle is may be too small and we forget to count the old one

can we play at 4 with two sets ?

i print the 4 fisrt card not front and back, in 4 differents cards to can play like we want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.