15 Posts

Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules we got wrong rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bookout

Colorado
msg tools
As usual, the rules understood when first starting a game are different then once you get a few plays under the belt.
To help others starting out, here are our mistakes:

- Before the start of the game, roll movement for each character and place TWO power cards down.
Originally we thought it began like start of turn, placing one power card.

- During your power-up phase discard all Aim/Dodge tokens
This should really be on the reference sheet. Everyone was collecting Aim tokens, until we re-read the rules.

- Recovering from incapacitated does not lose a turn, or any penalty besides resetting all tokens and starting with one power card.
First read-through we thought re-rolling movement meant you skipped to the 'To be continued...' phase.

- Auto-miss dice are dismissed from consideration, before applying Aim affects.
On a roll of 346. If the power has auto-miss of 6, the 6 no longer exists. And in effect your roll becomes 44. We were setting auto-miss aside but still pumping up the attack to the highest die.

- Melee can target all adjacent hexes, and is not limited to Range 1.
From Nich

Anyone else have some "Got it wrong" advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I constantly forgot how melee attacks worked in our final version. Adjacent vs range 1.

Edited to change bs to vs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bookout

Colorado
msg tools
Good point, Melee is typed really small and we almost missed it on Legacy's card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tbookout wrote:

- Before the start of the game, roll movement for each character and place TWO power cards down.

Is this in the rules? I totally missed thiswow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
I constantly forgot how melee attacks worked in our final version. Adjacent bs range 1.

What do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:
Nich wrote:
I constantly forgot how melee attacks worked in our final version. Adjacent bs range 1.

What do you mean?

Melee attacks target adjacent targets. Those targets may or may not be at range 1, due to elevation. An earlier version of the game required melee attacks to only target targets at range 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drab Emordnilap wrote:
torontoraptors wrote:
Nich wrote:

What do you mean?

Melee attacks target adjacent targets. Those targets may or may not be at range 1, due to elevation. An earlier version of the game required melee attacks to only target targets at range 1.

Right, but you still check range on the attacks, in the case that the adjacent enemy isn't at range 1.

Basically, "melee" means "adjacent enemies only"...nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a typo in my earlier post: Adjacent vs Range 1.
As Luther mentions, Melee is Adjacent enemies but you still check range. Range 1 is a completely different ballgame (and more restrictive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bookout

Colorado
msg tools
torontoraptors wrote:
tbookout wrote:

Is this in the rules? I totally missed thiswow

It's easily missed!
On Page 3, at the start of the Power Card section.

At the start of the game, each character gets two of their cards in play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the rule stating that Marty always loses regardless of which character he plays. I cannot find it in the rulebook but am pretty certain it is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I missed the rule stating that Marty always loses regardless of which character he plays. I cannot find it in the rulebook but am pretty certain it is there.

Any game that uses dice in it should include this rule for me. If I'm required to roll dice, I lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you aim, do the extra dice from +1 Attack get aimed too? (Same for defense)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. They do. They're treated just like dice from any other source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:
When you aim, do the extra dice from +1 Attack get aimed too? (Same for defense)

Follow the steps on page 9 in order

4. Use any number of Attack+1 tokens you hold, if you want
5. Remove any dice that rolled an Auto-Miss number
6. Apply Aim effects, if an aim token was used
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept thinking there was an advantage for being at higher elevation. There's not, other than better LOS for you, or maybe being at longer range than your attacker.

We missed the part that intervening objects blocked LOS - I thought being on top of freedom tower gave you LOS to the whole map. (and Wraith destroyed me due to that)

We missed that power splice can succeed multiple times, so you can take an objective on the first roll if you roll well.

We missed that hazards go away when the card leaves play.

And just a clarification for the melee rules above - melee does not require range 1, but it does require you check range. So meleeing up a range difference does make it harder to hit.

Basically, we messed up a lot of rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.