Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: abbot rule for the new carcassonne edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Lin
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't see anything mentioned from the rule downloaded from Zman games site.

Can anyone please let me know or points me to the abbot rules?

thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has to do with the garden feature on the new tiles (something not present in the original Carcassonne, so difficult to adapt I imagine).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is where are the rules to be found?

They're pictured in the component list and the only mentions in the entire rulebook are as follows:

Quote:
In addition, there are also 5 abbots, including 1 in each of the same colors.


Quote:
Return to the box any unused meeples and, for your first game, the abbots.


That's it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
The point is where are the rules to be found?

They're pictured in the component list and the only mentions in the entire rulebook are as follows:

Quote:
In addition, there are also 5 abbots, including 1 in each of the same colors.


Quote:
Return to the box any unused meeples and, for your first game, the abbots.


That's it.


Those rules mention the "supplementary rules" which explain the farmer scoring. I'd imagine that the abbot rules are on that same supplementary rules sheet, as the main rulebook recommends playing without the abbots or the farmers for your first game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Shawn! Going to email Sophie and ask her to post the supplementary rules as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
The point is where are the rules to be found?


I know that they want the rules, it was 2 AM so I didn't want to look them up, I just posted what I remembered. Here's a quote from Z MAN's site:
Quote:
The Abbot expansion will not be released as a separate item as its mechanic is linked to the tiles of the new version


Here are the rules (straight off of the rule sheet insert) in German:

Quote:
Der Abt ist die zweite Mini-Erweiterung die wir Euch hier vorstellen. Mit dem Abt kommen auch die Gärten ins Spiel, die Ihr bereits auf einigen Plättchen gesehen habt.
Spielmaterial und Vorbereitung
Die Erweiterung besteht aus 5 Äbten in den Spielerfarben. Jeder Spieler erhält die Abt-Figur seiner Farbe.
Spielablauf
1. Landschaftskarte auslegen
Wenn Du eine Landschaftskarte mit Kloster oder Garten auslegst, musst Du sie wie gewohnt passend anlegen.
2. Einen Meeple ODER Abt einsetzen
Wenn Du ein Plättchen mit Kloster oder Garten gelegt hast, darfst Du entweder einen normalen Meeple oder den Abt einsetzen. Den Abt musst Du auf ein Kloster oder auf einen Garten stellen. Den Meeple darfst Du wie
gewohnt einsetzen.
Punktewertung
Ist ein Kloster oder ein Garten von 8 Plättchen umgeben, erhältst Du, wie im Grundspiel, 9 Punkte für den Abt. Der Garten wird also genauso gewertet wie ein Kloster. Außerdem hat der Abt noch eine Sondereigenschaft. Wann immer Du bei der Aktion 2 KEINEN Meeple einsetzt, darfst Du Deinen Abt vom Spielfeld zu Dir zurück nehmen. Du erhältst dann sofort die Punkte, die das Kloster oder der Garten in diesem Moment wert ist. Der Abt wird am Ende des Spiels wie ein normaler Mönch gewertet.


In English (via Google Translate with my edits):
Quote:
The Abbot is the second mini expansion we present to you here. With The abbot the gardens you've already seen on some tiles also come into play.
Game Materials and Preparation
The expansion consists of 5 abbots in the player colors. Each player receives The Abbot figure of his color.
Gameplay
1. lay a tile on the landscape map
If you lay a tile with a cloister/monastery or garden on the landscape map, they need to fit as usual.
2. place a Meeple OR Abbot
If you have placed a tile with a cloister/monastery or garden you can place either a normal Meeple or the Abbot. You must stand the Abbot on a cloister/monastery or on a garden. You may place a Meeple according to the usual rules
Scoring
If a monastery or a garden surrounded by 8 tiles, you will receive, as in the base game, 9 points for the Abbot. So the garden scores exactly like a monastery. In addition, the Abbot has a special property. Whenever you place NO Meeple in action 2 (above), you can take back your abbot from the field. You will immediately receive the points that the Monastery or the garden is worth at this moment. The abbot is scored as a normal monk at the end of the game.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, they've updated the PDF to include the supplemental rules.

I've posted a link to the rulebook and the full English rules here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roswurm
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish the new edition didn't look so Freak'n Awesome!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Lin
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mb
NuMystic wrote:
Okay, they've updated the PDF to include the supplemental rules.

I've posted a link to the rulebook and the full English rules here.


Cool thanks!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
Avatar
mb
It's disapointing that there is no intent to release the Abbot expansion seperately.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
undinefuerte wrote:
I wish the new edition didn't look so Freak'n Awesome!!!


thought about getting it too. but once i found out that Z-Man has no plan on releasing expansions using this new artwork, i stayed away.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that one could pick up the requisite colors of Abbot meeples and simply use them if you draw a monastery tile. They seem to work about the same as the phantoms did. Since they add 5 more monastery tiles, most folks with multiple Carc expansions could probably just toss in 5 tiles selected from those expansions.

Still will probably pick this one up all the same....Going to need a Carcassonne room at this rate....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dye
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stev4uth wrote:
It seems to me that one could pick up the requisite colors of Abbot meeples and simply use them if you draw a monastery tile. They seem to work about the same as the phantoms did. Since they add 5 more monastery tiles, most folks with multiple Carc expansions could probably just toss in 5 tiles selected from those expansions.


What do you mean by this "adding 5 more monastery tiles"? From what I understand, the new edition has the same 72 tiles, except that 8 of those "original" tiles now have a garden (plus one more in the river).



So the Abbot can be placed on a total of 14 tiles - the 6 monastery tiles plus the 8 garden tiles. IS that correct?

I like the ideas of the Abbot expansion, and am trying to figure out how to "roll my own" with the original version of Carc. My wife likes to play vanilla Carc, mainly due to a shorter game length, so I'm trying to see if I could make a comparable version with what I have (I have several expansion tiles, just don't play them much).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
porkozone wrote:
I like the ideas of the Abbot expansion, and am trying to figure out how to "roll my own" with the original version of Carc. My wife likes to play vanilla Carc, mainly due to a shorter game length, so I'm trying to see if I could make a comparable version with what I have (I have several expansion tiles, just don't play them much).


All you would need to do is print a small sheet with the garden images on extra thin paper then cut them out and apply them to the corresponding tiles with modge podge. Voila!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dye
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
All you would need to do is print a small sheet with the garden images on extra thin paper then cut them out and apply them to the corresponding tiles with modge podge. Voila!


I'm aware of that, but I want to try it before I change tiles.

I thought maybe to even just using 8 Inn tiles - I know they aren't the same, but could replace the similar base tiles, and the Abbot could claim them instead of gardens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
porkozone wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
All you would need to do is print a small sheet with the garden images on extra thin paper then cut them out and apply them to the corresponding tiles with modge podge. Voila!


I'm aware of that, but I want to try it before I change tiles.

I thought maybe to even just using 8 Inn tiles - I know they aren't the same, but could replace the similar base tiles, and the Abbot could claim them instead of gardens.


If you just want to try how it really plays then the fastest and easiest would just be putting a small dot sticker on each of the base game tiles that now has a garden.

This will avoid winding up with a different tile distribution which may color your impression of the variant in unforeseen ways.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have misread that the Abbot expansion added additional tiles. So if not then sorry for the misdirect.

The little mini-robber expansion might give you a meeple that would work to try this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stev4uth wrote:
The little mini-robber expansion might give you a meeple that would work to try this.


You need a meeple in every player color.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
stev4uth wrote:
The little mini-robber expansion might give you a meeple that would work to try this.


You need a meeple in every player color.


The Robber expansion has that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. That's indeed perfect then!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Or, if you have hills and sheep, just declare the vineyards are now gardens.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pwned Pawn
United States
flag msg tools
mb
porkozone wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
All you would need to do is print a small sheet with the garden images on extra thin paper then cut them out and apply them to the corresponding tiles with modge podge. Voila!


I'm aware of that, but I want to try it before I change tiles.

I thought maybe to even just using 8 Inn tiles - I know they aren't the same, but could replace the similar base tiles, and the Abbot could claim them instead of gardens.


I was thinking of using the fairs from Catapult or the bazaars from Bridges, Castles, & Bazaars as gardens, since I don't use those features anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eldaec wrote:
Or, if you have hills and sheep, just declare the vineyards are now gardens.

That's the correct answer! Incidentally, the H&S expansion has exactly 8 tiles featuring vineyards. Additional ones can be found in the revised River expansion in BB5 and in the Halb so Wild II mini expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Wong

Arkansas
msg tools
Question about the abbot game play.

It says
"When placing a tile with a monastery or a garden, you may place either meeple or abbot"
But it also says
"As you can see, gardens are scored exactly like monastery, with the exception that only an abbot may be placed on them."

Can you place a meeple on a garden?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiderayman wrote:
Question about the abbot game play.

It says
"When placing a tile with a monastery or a garden, you may place either meeple or abbot"
But it also says
"As you can see, gardens are scored exactly like monastery, with the exception that only an abbot may be placed on them."

Can you place a meeple on a garden?

By your own quote, no. You can place the meeple on other features of a tile that have a garden.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.