United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I just ran a pre-results test case for my voting software and I'm amazed at how close the races are. Many of the categories are still up in the air!

Please vote if you are able! Poll closes at midnight (central time) October 1st!

www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Tepper
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, Aldie!

Thank you very much for doing this. I'm excited to know the results. This has been fun to do, and I think it's a good thing that the BGG community is doing to further promote good games.

I apologize if you've already answered this, but when do you think you'll post the results?

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I'm still working out the logistics of the announcement of the winners. I'm working on some extra special thing that I will announce on October 1st.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give us some preliminary projected results kinda like they do with the Presidential Election? Nothing like how many votes or anything like that just the projected winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the evening of September 30 could you put a big banner up that says "CAYLUS DEFEATS TRUMAN ".... Then, the next day post the real winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
On the evening of September 30 could you put a big banner up that says "CAYLUS DEFEATS TRUMAN ".... Then, the next day post the real winner.
ROFL!
Easily the funniest thing I've heard all month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Rip Van Winkle. I've been ignoring this thing. Then I woke up and decided to vote. None of the 15 Gamers' Games nominated included Puerto Rico! Did the world change around me while I was gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Jonathan Degann wrote:
I feel like Rip Van Winkle. I've been ignoring this thing. Then I woke up and decided to vote. None of the 15 Gamers' Games nominated included Puerto Rico! Did the world change around me while I was gone?

It's the 2005-2006 awards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
Can you give us some preliminary projected results kinda like they do with the Presidential Election? Nothing like how many votes or anything like that just the projected winners.

Well there's an incredibly bad idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
How about laying some odds Aldie? I have some geek gold just itching to multiply...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
You could announce the projected winners hours before the polls close on the US West coast. That will make them all feel like it's a real election.
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Please vote if you are able! Poll closes at midnight October 1st!

Which time zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, are we going to get a Geekie Voter microbadge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:

No, no, no. Elections are supposed to be a blind. If you have some knowledge, then you aren't getting a true, unfettered result of the voters' opinions. I'm even a little concerned about the post Aldie made to "get out the vote."

These sorts of shenanigans have gone on in the past at the WBC elections (for games to be in the next convention and for board of director races). Announce that it's close and the niche folks who haven't cared enough to bother with voting crawl out of the woodwork to push a game that otherwise wouldn't have a chance. And it didn't deserve a chance, as those voters weren't going to be part of the process to start with (of their own choice), but with the rush, rush announcement, they decide to cast their otherwise unwanted ballot. You get the "what the hell" turnout.

Then, people who have already voted feel marginalized (because now there's a push to convert votes towards those candidates that the devout voters have already allowed to bubble to the top). Not saying there is an ulterior motive here (I truly doubt it), but with the WBC elections, posting a last minute "get out the vote because some games are just one vote away" only on ConSimWorld is, in fact, mobilizing only some voters at the last minute--based on results up to that point. Here on BGG, the effect is to mobilize those who haven't cared up to this point (like those who don't even know it's a 2005-2006 contest). Why wake those who choose to slumber?

I understand that the person who gets to see how the tallies are coming along wants to see what happens if there's a surge of votes at the end. But I think it's much, much better not to look at partial votes. The person who has that special power then wants to announce that people should go vote. It distorts things. Sit back, wait until the polls close, and then count the votes and announce the winners. No fair calling for votes at the last minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Dreifuss
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

No, no, no. Elections are supposed to be a blind. If you have some knowledge, then you aren't getting a true, unfettered result of the voters' opinions. I'm even a little concerned about the post Aldie made to "get out the vote."

I second that. Now, I call all our fellow geekbuddies to chime in so that our purist voices can be heard!

Seriously, I agree - but I couldn't resist the opportunity for a lame joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
mrbass wrote:
You could announce the projected winners hours before the polls close on the US West coast. That will make them all feel like it's a real election.
devil

Oh, and then you can eliminate all the votes except those cast by Geeks in about 8 states. That would really boost the realism!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing stopping you doing an Exit Poll.

I only voted about 10 times, hadn't played most of the games. Still a couple of them got 1's as they are awesome. (And a couple got 15)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T M
United States
Longview
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you live in Florida and you didn't click your mouse really hard then your vote may not count since it may not be fully registered. Also, you may accidently end up voting for the game Buchanan.

I like this system of voting, it prevents people in Wisconsin from giving smokes and alcohol to homeless people in order to get votes for Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:
Nothing stopping you doing an Exit Poll.

I only voted about 10 times, hadn't played most of the games. Still a couple of them got 1's as they are awesome. (And a couple got 15)
You do realize that the absolute value of your vote does not matter, right? Only the relative value, compared to your other votes in a category. If you give two games a 1, and do not vote for anything else, you are essentially not voting at all. And if one game is a 1, and another a 2, all you are saying is that one is better than the other--it is completely equivalent to giving one game a 1, and the other a 15, as far as those two games are concerned. The ranking is just a shorthand for voting in a whole bunch of head-to-head elections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCloset wrote:

I like this system of voting, it prevents people in Wisconsin from giving smokes and alcohol to homeless people in order to get votes for Caylus.

Of course, Caylus could always challenge the results in court...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Announce that it's close and the niche folks who haven't cared enough to bother with voting crawl out of the woodwork to push a game that otherwise wouldn't have a chance. And it didn't deserve a chance, as those voters weren't going to be part of the process to start with (of their own choice), but with the rush, rush announcement, they decide to cast their otherwise unwanted ballot. You get the "what the hell" turnout.
I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion, but it would seem to me that a broad announcement gets the MAINSTREAM folks (who didn't realize there was a vote happening) rather than the NICHE fans (who probably already knew "their" game was up and were pushing for it).

Now, you'll get some of the "I like that settling game..." kind of people and the games with broader appeal will bubble up.

People's Exhibit A: Howard Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
No fair calling for votes at the last minute.
Yeah Aldie, quit trying to undermine the democratic process with your dictator-like power. Otherwise we're going to have to start calling you Katherine Harris...
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oskari wrote:
Hmm, are we going to get a Geekie Voter microbadge?
Great idea and link it showing our votes....such much for a secret ballot. Anyone thinking of starting an Exit Poll Thread to get some preliminary projection results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
You do realize that the absolute value of your vote does not matter, right? Only the relative value, compared to your other votes in a category. If you give two games a 1, and do not vote for anything else, you are essentially not voting at all. And if one game is a 1, and another a 2, all you are saying is that one is better than the other--it is completely equivalent to giving one game a 1, and the other a 15, as far as those two games are concerned. The ranking is just a shorthand for voting in a whole bunch of head-to-head elections.

ummmmm, would you like to rephrase or clarify that statement, because as I'm reading it you're saying that simply voting the games you like and/or know and leaving the rest you may never have even seen or heard of is as good as nothing. If so, I personally have some serious issues with the fact that you're essentially saying that in order for any games you give high ratings to even count you also have to (artificially and quite wrongly) tank the scores on some games you may not even know from Adam Off Ox. Please, PLEASE tell me that I'm misreading this and that's not the case and N/As are simply ignored in any rankings... and if I’m not reading it wrong, can you even justify the validity of an election where you have to lowball rate games you simply don’t know in order to validate the high rating you gave to one’s you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Smith
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
midnightmadness wrote:

ummmmm, would you like to rephrase or clarify that statement, because as I'm reading it you're saying that simply voting the games you like and/or know and leaving the rest you may never have even seen or heard of is as good as nothing. If so, I personally have some serious issues with the fact that you're essentially saying that in order for any games you give high ratings to even count you also have to (artificially and quite wrongly) tank the scores on some games you may not even know from Adam Off Ox. Please, PLEASE tell me that I'm misreading this and that's not the case and N/As are simply ignored in any rankings... and if I’m not reading it wrong, can you even justify the validity of an election where you have to lowball rate games you simply don’t know in order to validate the high rating you gave to one’s you do?

No all that it says is that your vote only determines the difference between games. If everyone has voted two games to a tie, and you are the last one left, the way that you rank them (one higher than the other) determines which one wins.

All that the example said was if you only give two games a one, then you don't have an opinion between those two games. And since you didn't vote on any of the other games, you effectively don't have an opinion between any of the games. So you are right, the N/As are simply ignored. Don't worry it is a good system. Better than straight rankings, in which you could have tanked the ratings on some games to make your votes worth more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |