Subject: Golden Geek Awards - Close Race! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: awards [+] news [+] goldengeek [+] [View All]
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
czrdup wrote:
No all that it says is that your vote only determines the difference between games. If everyone has voted two games to a tie, and you are the last one left, the way that you rank them (one higher than the other) determines which one wins.

All that the example said was if you only give two games a one, then you don't have an opinion between those two games. And since you didn't vote on any of the other games, you effectively don't have an opinion between any of the games. So you are right, the N/As are simply ignored. Don't worry it is a good system. Better than straight rankings, in which you could have tanked the ratings on some games to make your votes worth more.

Okay that makes a lot more sense to me now. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I'm even a little concerned about the post Aldie made to "get out the vote."

These sorts of shenanigans have gone on in the past at the WBC elections (for games to be in the next convention and for board of director races). Announce that it's close and the niche folks who haven't cared enough to bother with voting crawl out of the woodwork to push a game that otherwise wouldn't have a chance. And it didn't deserve a chance, as those voters weren't going to be part of the process to start with (of their own choice), but with the rush, rush announcement, they decide to cast their otherwise unwanted ballot. You get the "what the hell" turnout.

Then, people who have already voted feel marginalized (because now there's a push to convert votes towards those candidates that the devout voters have already allowed to bubble to the top). Not saying there is an ulterior motive here (I truly doubt it), but with the WBC elections, posting a last minute "get out the vote because some games are just one vote away" only on ConSimWorld is, in fact, mobilizing only some voters at the last minute--based on results up to that point. Here on BGG, the effect is to mobilize those who haven't cared up to this point (like those who don't even know it's a 2005-2006 contest). Why wake those who choose to slumber?

1.) I think this was just Aldie's way of reminding us that there are only a few days left to vote...

2.) I don't think there will be much of a "what the hell" turnout because it's already somewhat of a select audience anyway, and Aldie hasn't released any info on who is winning in what categories. A lot of people I'm sure have busy lives and don't get to check in daily. It doesn't necessarily mean they are less worthy of participating.

So in effect...Aldie has said "Not much time left to vote, and if you haven't, it might count for something if you do!"

Is that such a hideous message to convey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've been going nuts for a week refreshing the front page.

I'm sure Aldie & friends are just taking their time with some sort of nice write up and graphical presentation...but it would be nice to know when it'll be up. I mean...it's been a week now cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |