Subject: First solo game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Diamond
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
I just played my first solo game of Roads and Boats. I've never played with any amount of players, but wanted to try to do one of the one-player scenarios before trying to play it with more.

I played the "A River Runs Through It" scenario. It took about an hour to get to play the last neutral brick (which landed on the irrigation marker). I have no idea if that's a fast or slow time. I'm hoping I played too fast so that I could have a reason for my incredibly low score. :-)

The Scenario Book says the high score for that scenario is 300. I got 80 points. 50 for my bricks on the wonder and 30 for having 3 gold pieces on a transporter.

As bad as that score was, I'm sure I could do better next time. I built too many bridges and a papermill which I never used (thinking I could use it to produce some paper to do research). I also wasn't trying to buy up bricks on the wonder to try to get to the irrigation marker sooner. If I could have done that, and not wasted goods on the papermill, I think I would have been able to create a mint and produce at least one coin.

The game was definitely interesting. One thing that really detracted from the fun of the game, though, was the amount of fiddling I had to do with the pieces. Does anybody else find the size of the tiles too small for the amount of transporters, goods, and buildings that end up sitting on these tiles? This seems especially true before a bridge is built on a tile with a river. Is this something you just learn to deal with because the game is so good?

--
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdiamond wrote:

As bad as that score was, I'm sure I could do better next time.

One thing that really detracted from the fun of the game, though, was the amount of fiddling I had to do with the pieces. Does anybody else find the size of the tiles too small for the amount of transporters, goods, and buildings that end up sitting on these tiles? This seems especially true before a bridge is built on a tile with a river. Is this something you just learn to deal with because the game is so good?

Yes, your score will improve with experience. Take a look at some of the single player solutions for some interesting moves.

Yes, the tiles are a little bit small when you have to show what side of the river you are on. Most of the time it is not too much of an issue though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.