Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Who do these strongholds belong to? It seems that you can only assult them after the region has been "liberated" from King Richard. So that presumably means he's gone (since the people no longer lose hope every round, and he has no influence left). But who's in the stronghold, that the heroes subsequently defeat to become new new leader of the region? Some local warlord? Vestiges of Richard's forces? Or is no one there, and it's simply a symbol of Richard's former power that must be torn down?

I understand gameplay mechanism-wise how the whole sequence works, but not thematically...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it is that Richard's minions have retreated to their last defence- the keep in which they are based, and are no longer swaggering around the streets generally bossing people around. They are under a state of siege and if the players choose to keep recruiting support in the region, will eventually be overrun.

If Richard can regain enough influence in the area, those guys in the keep are reinforced, and come out fighting to make an example of everyone who rebelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

The region is swept and all remaining last troops of Richard pulled back
and made one last stronghold.

So thematically, the first fights to free the region costs you influence/ troops. They die in the fight all around the region. So that 's why you take away your influence together with the black influence. A lot of your most loyal helpers died in the fight. You might keep a little influence there, but have to work your way back up in the region and gather new loyals around you. The one with the most influence in the fight get the region counter, which shows the gratitude of the local people for your contribution. For example: you get rewarded by the anchor symbol, which means you have a boat available to move cheap one once every round... you can see it as people of that region willing to help you, in that case with a boat to bring you to your next destination.
The black influence counters you get as a reward after the fight are the enemy troops you killed. Every 3 can be swapped for a battle token which delivers bp's. Referring to how high people estimate you as a fighter.

When the local battlefield ( region ) are won by the rebellion, The region is freed, the people see no hostile troops in their neighborhood, so they are confident that soon Richard will be history. So the hope does not drop anymore. They don't reward you yet ( giving the hope points to the players ) because they know that there is still one hostile stronghold. But they are confident enough to keep hopes up.

The remaining rats, troops of Richard III, local leaders that helped Richard withdraw in a city/stronghold. Originally in the prototype this was called city. We had a city in every region. Where the last enemy troops withrawed. So freeing the region was the fight in the open fields. The stronghold was the fight against the last enemy's standing in the city ( now called stronghold). Since the story has no city names for every region and the map would become to cluttered, there was decided to call it strongholds, so no extra names had to be on the board and regions.
The fight against the stronghold is intact a siege of the last refuge of enemy troops in the region. All enemy's are scared away from the villages, open fields, ... they fled all together in one last stronghold ( can be a hill, a castle, a city,...
That s why you have to build up your troops/influence again in the region ( around the stronghold). You can see it as a siege. The stronghold value can be seen as the value you have to top to break their confidence and let them flee the stronghold. So you build up such a great force around the stronghold that ones you succeed, the last troops, richard loyals and other rats, flee crying. So that 's also why you don't loose influence/troops ones the 'fight' for the stronghold happens.

It s enough to get a higher value of rebellion influence in the region than the stronghold value, and the enemy just withdraws and gives you the stronghold. There' s no physical fight, your influence/troops remain in the area and all prodigals that contributed to scaring of the last enemy's and rats get rewarded by deciding the remaining hope value ( as vp's ).
You can see that as how much of a hero you are in the eyes of the civilians. The player with the most influence in conquering the stronghold also get s rewarded with the most vp's when the dividing can't be equal to all party's.

Hmmm... hope it makes sense... It's a bit blablablaing ; My english is not always sufficient to explain things short and to the point...
But I hope you more or less understand what i mean.
If not, just shoot some questions again, and I try again One day my english will be spotless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, acebaby... you explained it in 3 sentences , while i was working and sweating on a text of 5 pages to say the same thing laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.