Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
In a recent article on Wizards of the Coast's home site, titled "Purple Reign" Mark Rosewater, lead designer on most of Magic:the Gathering's recent sets shared some info about the new "Timeshifted" cards.

For anyone who is not familair, the new Magic set, Time Spiral, features one of 121 special "Timeshifted" cards in each booster of Time Spiral. These cards are old favorites from previous sets, seemingly issued without Wizards' usual concern for preserving the consistency of mechanics within a set or block. Even odd cards like Psionic Blast (a blue direct-damage spell, something not seen in a very long time), and powerful cards like Akroma have been reprinted in this mini-set.

Now, the interesting thing in this interview came up when questions were asked concerning the other two sets in this block, Planar Chaos and Future Sight. Rosewater stated that there would be Timeshifted cards in these expansions as well, but that these would not be reprints.

This is impostant when viewed alongside two other pieces of information. Just as Time Spiral is about the past...
1: Planar Chaos is about the Present.
2: Future Sight is about the Future.

Could this mean that Future Sight's Timeshifted cards will be PRE-Prints? Cards that will be released in a future set? It is known that WotC develops their sets at least a year in advance, so it is definitely possible....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
My best guess is that the present will be new cards from the Mirrodin/Kamigawa/Ravnica universe, planeshifted into Dominaria.

The future will, I suspect, be cards from the next block or two; though I'll be interested to see how they give us the floavour the future without spoiling all the forthcoming block mechanics.

I went to the pre-release at the weekend, and am greatly enjoying Time Spiral so far. Suspend is a fun mechanic; lots of tension with a big beasty looming in a couple of turns, seeing if you can muster a defence before it arrives, and they continued the collect me theme they started in Cold Snap with lots of slivers and thallids. One of the disappointing things about Tempest was that you couldn't really draft enough slivers for them to boost each other significantly. Not so here, ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I regrettably missed the Time Spiral release, but I've been trying to talk my friends into doing some TS drafting, or maybe some sealed, later in the month. I've been contemplating a move to Magic: Online, though, so who knows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.