Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lord of the Ring: the Confrontation. Oops! you excepted that one... hmmm, it might be a bit heavy for you, but what about Fury of Dracula? It really is not that heavy. The only problem is that with 2 players, 4 hunters are controlled by one: not bad though.

Thematic, fairly light, very interesting, and highly immersive... should fit the bill fairly well.

You said not card games, but Blue Moon is pretty darn good. Carcassonne seems like it would fit too, but most Eurogames I don't find very immersive beyond the strategic immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how "immersive" these games are but 2 of my favorite 2-player games are Roma and Jambo.

Games that play with 2 or more very well: Through the Desert, Attika and the already-mentioned, Torres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I just tried Blue Moon City. It might do it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Also, I would say Ra is the king of interesting yet light. It probably isn't immersive in the sense you mean; people criticize it as having a pasted-on theme. It is deep, though, yet simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal with the 2 player variant that reduces the number of terrain hexagons from 36 to 24.

Play it normally for 3 or 4 players.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeii

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you're looking for is Ebola Monkey Hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal seems like the obvious choice, or maybe Samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister comes to mind.

For immersive, try Magic: the Gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Faidutti and Laget's Castle, which I think is amusing and theme laden. Drakon or Cave Troll might work - though I'm not sure about the two player aspect, having never played those two. What about a game like Descent or Doom, or what about Prophecy, Heroscape, World of Warcraft etc?

I really like China and Thurn and Taxis for many of the reasons you listed, though am happy to admit that they don't do the best job of relating the theme.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played some more Blue Moon tonight and, seeing as I seem to have somewhat similar taste to you, I'd really recommend trying the starter box on this game.

It really doesn't feel like a card game to me at all for some reason. I played Magic: the Gathering for years, and feel that Blue Moon has most of the fun for about 1/1000th of the price. It is light, it is fantasy, it is immersive, and the more I play it, the deeper it feels.

Hard to beat it for when I'm in the "light" mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City. I think the game has some depth to it but I'm still figuring it out. Fits all your criteria especially the fact that it supports 2 players (very well) and scales up to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Paul
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Roberto999 wrote:
Thanks for all the great input, I'm still reading up on all of those to try to narrow it down a bit, which gave me a couple new questions. A few of you suggest Tikal, but I read it as being a bit heavier? Is this true or very subjective? Also, same thing with Prophecy or WoW? (would Return of the Heroes be simpler?) Other than that all the suggestions sound great, thanks again!laugh

I'll give my best attempt to comment on the complexity level of Tikal:

The action are pretty straight-forward, however you are presented with a lot of choices on your turn like most action point games. The scoring rules are also quite simple, but the first time you play it probably won't be obvious which combination of actions will lead to optimal scoring. All action point games are inherently designed to never give you enough resources to do everything you want to do, so you are trying to make the best limited choices of available actions.

If you were only going to play Tikal with other players a single time I probably wouldn't recommend it. The average player is going to spend much to most of the first game sorting out the value of certain actions and things like when to top a pyramid. It's still enjoyable but at first the game may seem more complex than it does in subsequent sessions.

If you're going to play Tikal with the same folks multiple times there is a rewarding but not steep experience curve that starting kicking in pretty quickly, usually mid to late in the first session. Would definitely recommend it for multiple plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk, if you can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.