GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,810 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Party game that can be picked up in 2 minutes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 4-5 players.

Not Dixit or Cards Against Humanity.

So far all I've come up with is Wits & Wagers. I'm not familiar with party games at all. I'd just like something where the rules can be explained really quickly and a noob can start playing it reasonably confidently straight away. The other requirement is that it has to be fun. Help? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a very verrrrrry old one... Pit

You could also make your own version of Spyfall for a bluffing game. Full card details are available on the forum there approved by the designer for DIY copies until it's on sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Dalmuti

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Probably be better if it was 4-6 because you need teams but Times Up is a great game and hilariously fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Coup or resistance are fairly easy IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
Resistance? 2 minutes? What planet are you on? It's not complicated, but you all need to understand the game to get through it with any chance of it not being a shambles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
fh13 wrote:
Resistance? 2 minutes? Non gamers? What planet are you on?

We played it during Thanksgiving (last year or the year before) w/ a group of non-gamers and the basics took a couple of minutes to explain. The first game was a "throw away" but by the second everyone seemed to be getting it. I mean the basics are really...

- There are two teams (red/blue, good/bad, spy/resistance, whatever/whatever). Only the spies knows who the other spies are.

- There are up to 5 votes, the first team to win 3 of the 5 wins the game. Only certain people will be participating in each vote. That will be determined by the leader of that particular vote (which rotates as the game progresses).

- When you are the leader pick people who you think will help your side. After those people are picked, but before the vote happens, everyone gets to decide whether or not the vote should proceed.

Then it's just a matter of explaining using the voting cards and some discussion about the role bluffing plays and how the spies shouldn't play their hand to early.

Now if you start to throw in the specialty cards, or "Merlin" ability from Avalon, that's a different story. Straight up Resistance really isn't that difficult IMHO.

Wil did it on Table Top in about a minute and half https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QRczGzXqw

Although I did forget the minimum recommend # is 5 so that might not work for the OP's group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept-- takes maybe a minute to explain, and if you don't play for points (we never do) it's just a fun social exercise. Everyone seems to get into it, even the people who profess not to like board games. It's actually not my favorite, but I pull it out when there's new gamers as an ice breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Anything
Telestrations
Snake Oil
Time's Up!
Concept little more complicated than the others but still very simple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:

Coup, perhaps, Resistance no. (Picked up implies to me a bit more than just explaining the rules.)

But the best one is One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Get the free announcer app and go through a game with eyes open once. Then do it for real, time after time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
a1bert wrote:
fh13 wrote:

Coup, perhaps, Resistance no. (Picked up implies to me a bit more than just explaining the rules.)

Each to their own I guess. I haven't found Resistance to be that hard to explain/get people into. Between the two frankly I think Coup is the more complicated game to explain since you have to go through all the cards and explain all the abilities/interactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mb
Skull & Roses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FuneralGnome wrote:
Say Anything
Telestrations
Snake Oil
Time's Up!
Concept little more complicated than the others but still very simple

I've not gone through all the suggestions yet but Say Anything might be a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we had people over I pulled out Mascarade, and none of us had ever played it or read the rules, but we were shouting and laughing and rolling with it within minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Thomson
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations or the cheaper Eat Poop You Cat.

So simple, results are hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:

But the best one is One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Get the free announcer app and go through a game with eyes open once. Then do it for real, time after time.

QFT.
Not only is the game amazingly fun, but it takes roughly 5 minutes to play an entire game. So, if it takes longer than 2 minutes to "get it," something is very, very wrong. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Word on the Street a team game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good suggestions

I haven't played but, anyone else have thoughts about; Two Rooms and a Boom ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
good suggestions

Presuming we are talking about non-gamers, I'd not suggest it. Not played it either, but watching Board With Life play it and hear other reviews, it's an extremely vague thing to get hold of in the first instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
good suggestions

Presuming we are talking about non-gamers, I'd not suggest it. Not played it either, but watching Board With Life play it and hear other reviews, it's an extremely vague thing to get hold of in the first instance.

Yeah very much non-gamers. I maybe should have said "a game that could be explained in a couple of sentences". So far, games like Telestrations, Snake Oil, Time's Up and Say Anything are at the kind of level I'm looking for. Maybe Concept. I'm just unsure as to which would suit the group the most. I like Telestrations but I think it'd be better with more players. I'm drawn to Say Anything but I'm still unsure.

Games like Coup and Resistance I'd love to play but are unsuitable for this group.

Thanks to all for the recommendations, I still have more to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
thomsoda wrote:
Telestrations or the cheaper Eat Poop You Cat.

So simple, results are hilarious.

This is what I recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples to Apples

The rules can be taught in under 30 seconds, and it can be played by as many as 10 people. It's the party game for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) a bit more complex but loads of fun

Zombie Dice no expansion

Cockroach Poker great bluffing game, always brings out the laughs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
+1 for Resistance being able to be picked up in 2 minutes. Just make yourself the first leader and then no one is confused about how the leader works.

Played it over Thanksgiving with kids 10-16 years old and they picked it up in 2 minutes, so I can't see how adults wouldn't have an even easier time doing it.

Sure they won't get the nuances necessarily and whatever team the experienced person is on is nearly guaranteed to win, but that would be the case with ONUW as well, imo.

Plus, Resistance games with new players go really fast. They don't suffer from analysis paralysis like experienced people because they just don't know what to look for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.