GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Holding back the darkness during final event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many missions have a final event that triggers a final fight and most times you are resolving the effects of all of your growing dread cards. At the beginning of each turn you still need to hold back the darkness. So if the darkness marker lands on a dread space, do you draw a dread card and resolve immediately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Flamme
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Rama da Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
funny, I had the same doubt yesterday, and that's how I solved it. Just do it. In the end, the card was meaningless for my play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lagace
msg tools
Our group lost the game cause of this. Failed hold back the darkness roll. Card had every hero make a roll to save, two heros lost. That moved the darkness counter four spaces and escaped. We only had two hungry dead and a corpse pile left. Very disappointed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that card that moves darkness 2 steps per each hero that fails the test is indeed a horrible one. best to keep a grit available to cancel it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
that card that moves darkness 2 steps per each hero that fails the test is indeed a horrible one. best to keep a grit available to cancel it.

Or a Book of the Occult, to prevent it's effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick O
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still not sure where this is handled in the rules. I know "Hold Back Darkness" rolls occur at the beginning of each turn including fights. But once the final objective is reached, how are any Growing Dread cards handled? I can find no rule that they are resolved immediately. Normally Growing Dread cards, when drawn, are "placed face down in a stack" and resolved when the Objective is found. To me, the implication is that once the final fight begins, no further Growing Dread cards are anticipated. Or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

Or a Book of the Occult, to prevent it's effect.

wouldnt the book only stop the effect for a single hero's failed test?
i consider each hero's test as a different instance

for revealing growing dread cards during an ongoing fight, it is mentioned in several scenarios that you reveal any new growing dread cards immediately when required to draw them.
given that it seems to be a scenario specific rule, it wouldnt apply in all scenarios, though, most people seem to use it as a general rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.