Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Mekarthas the Shrewd is played when an active gang of three khind is on the table, ignoring all its icons, the gang is obviously no longer a gang and cannot be added to, but what does this mean in terms of active cards? Do all three gang members still stay active until a character is played on top of them or is the top one suddenly the only active card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
They all stay active as far as I know. I read the FAQ on this a while ago, and this is what I remember. The gang icon affects how you play the card. But once it is played, they are all active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
The next active card is played on top of them. This is a devastating effect for the Khind....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is with the Top Gang out they can still use any effects that say "on my turn" before they're covered up, even if they're not technically a gang anymore. The scenario came up tonight when I threw down Mekarthas with firewater figuring an easy win, except I forgot TopNotch can activate his ability anytime.

I'm really NOT liking the Khind lately. The last several games vs. them have been basically me watching the gangs fall together with little to do about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard G
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
Problem is with the Top Gang out they can still use any effects that say "on my turn" before they're covered up, even if they're not technically a gang anymore. The scenario came up tonight when I threw down Mekarthas with firewater figuring an easy win, except I forgot TopNotch can activate his ability anytime.

I was re-reading the rules on the GANGS and I noticed the final sentence says: "To keep the gang active, you must add at least one more character card from the gang each turn."

This suggests to me that the special power text on the Top Gang cards is NOT active on subsequent turns until you have met the criteria to keep the gang active by placing one more Top character cards on it. So even though it says, "On my turn, I may..." it only comes into effect IF you play an additional character from the gang, and therefore can only take effect AFTER the Character phase.

Without this in place, TopNotch and TopDog are capable of discarding an opponent's cards twice WITHOUT the Khind player even needing to play a card on their second turn. Seems unusual and overpowered. (And yes, I have been victim to this under the "Play the text twice" rule interpretation!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgnet1 wrote:
I was re-reading the rules on the GANGS and I noticed the final sentence says: "To keep the gang active, you must add at least one more character card from the gang each turn."

This suggests to me that the special power text on the Top Gang cards is NOT active on subsequent turns until you have met the criteria to keep the gang active by placing one more Top character cards on it.

But this isn't relevant until your Character phase. All characters (regardless of GANG icons) remain active up until then. So your remaining point is (as the FAQ indicates) incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my cards handy, but if I remember correctly triggered effects (On my turn I may play any number of boosters) only happen the first time you play the card. Active effects persist (All my earth values double). Here the on my turn is the dead giveaway. Compare the two following effects:

1) On my turn I may play any number of boosters.
2) I may play any number of boosters.

Of course if he plays bounce back then you get hit with all the effects again as if he played them the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Top gang members are different in that because they're all active cards, their effects continue to happen every turn until they are made inactive by some means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
The Top gang members are different in that because they're all active cards, their effects continue to happen every turn until they are made inactive by some means.

Let me add one more step to that. The Top gang aren't unique in that you can use them once per turn you keep them active. Consider Genathones the Blind ("On my turn, I may play one additional support card."). Where the relevant members of the Top gang are unique is that the point in the turn you can use their ability isn't specified. (Genathones the Blind can only be used in the Booster/Support phase for example.) It's that lack of specification (whether deliberate or accidental) that allows the Top gang members to be used the extra time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard G
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Where the relevant members of the Top gang are unique is that the point in the turn you can use their ability isn't specified. (Genathones the Blind can only be used in the Booster/Support phase for example.) It's that lack of specification (whether deliberate or accidental) that allows the Top gang members to be used the extra time.

This suggests that the designer's original intention may have been that the Top power was only used once unless the gang was reactivated, but misused phrasing made it otherwise. If that's the case, at least tell me that it was discovered in testing and determined to be balanced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgnet1 wrote:
This suggests that the designer's original intention may have been that the Top power was only used once unless the gang was reactivated, but misused phrasing made it otherwise. If that's the case, at least tell me that it was discovered in testing and determined to be balanced!

That was a logical statement of possibilities. If it were the Buka I'd know; in the first eight decks I may or may not, often not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.