Subject: Not sure what printer to get... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My printer just died and I wanted to buy a decent printer. It would mostly be used for PnP but I would also like to print out family photo's.

I have narrowed it down to 3 printers.

Canon PIXMA PRO-100 most expensive but for photos it seems out of this world..

Canon PIXMA iX6850 It's cheaper than the Pro-100 has fewer Ink Cartridges but it seems to have a higher resolution than the pro-100 witch I don't really get

Officejet 7110 Wide cheapest of the lot and.. well I have almost stopped considering it, cause of bad reviews on amazon.

I know nothing about printers or if I should rather look at used laser ones rather than ink. All of these printers are able to print A3 I don't know if I "need" it but there have been occasions where that would have been usefull.

So what do people think? Am I way off track with these for PnP boardgames and photo's would you suggest any other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I replaced my atrocious Officejet with an Epson Workforce and I cannot believe the difference in quality but not price. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:
I replaced my atrocious Officejet with an Epson Workforce and I cannot believe the difference in quality but not price. Check it out.

Ill check it out, I think there might be a problem with Epson availability here in Iceland but ill look into it, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I continue to be pleased with my HP OfficeJet K8600 some 4(?) years after I bought it. It works (can be a novelty among printers!), it has continued to work over the entire period, it prints up to Super-B paper sizes, ink is fairly cheap, and it is readily amenable to a continuous flow system if I ever get to the volume where buying ink cartridges becomes prohibitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I have a Canon Pixma Pro9000 that I've been using for a while and I'm pretty happy with it.

However if I were buying another ink jet I would highly consider getting one with pigment based inks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Black and white laser printer at home, then use a supermarket photo print service for any colour work. I find it works out much, much cheaper this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:
supermarket photo print service for any colour work. I find it works out much, much cheaper this way.

That type of service is really expensive here in Iceland :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
However if I were buying another ink jet I would highly consider getting one with pigment based inks.

Any suggestions? Preferably A3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mummson wrote:

It used to be expensive here as well, it's got cheaper over the years - and with the increased competition from Internet printers, for that matter.

Bear in mind, though, that expense is relative. If you want to print out ten pages of a game, then paying £5 a sheet for the printing is still cheaper (and takes up less space in your house!) than buying a colour laser printer to do it. If you want to print out a thousand sheets, then the colour laser is the far more cost-effective option.

In the UK, places like PhotoBox sell prints dirt cheap (£0.05 for a 15x10cm print), and generally have absolutely no problem printing any kind of image - from their point of view a section of game board is no different to a picture of a tree. So another option would be to see if there's anywhere that offers cost-effective shipping to Iceland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
mummson wrote:

It used to be expensive here as well, it's got cheaper over the years - and with the increased competition from Internet printers, for that matter.

Bear in mind, though, that expense is relative. If you want to print out ten pages of a game, then paying £5 a sheet for the printing is still cheaper (and takes up less space in your house!) than buying a colour laser printer to do it. If you want to print out a thousand sheets, then the colour laser is the far more cost-effective option.

In the UK, places like PhotoBox sell prints dirt cheap (£0.05 for a 15x10cm print), and generally have absolutely no problem printing any kind of image - from their point of view a section of game board is no different to a picture of a tree. So another option would be to see if there's anywhere that offers cost-effective shipping to Iceland.

Good point.. ill check that out, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I don't normally print color pictures, I have been using Brother laser printers here in the UK and can highly recommend them. You can get pretty good deals on them in both the UK and Germany from time to time.
Note that you will need to find some off-brand toners as the original ones can be quite expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkr wrote:
Note that you will need to find some off-brand toners as the original ones can be quite expensive.

I found out that some people are filling up their ink cartridges with a syringe and saving money that way. I haven't really looked into it since I haven't decided on a printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Science doesn't care what you believe in
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mummson wrote:
I found out that some people are filling up their ink cartridges with a syringe and saving money that way.

In your part of the world, don't you just stab things with an icicle or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SailinDude wrote:
In your part of the world, don't you just stab things with an icicle or something?

I prefer the term "Politely poke".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
mummson wrote:
lankyb wrote:

Any suggestions? Preferably A3

One model more expensive, the Pro-10
http://www.canon-europe.com/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA/PIXMA_PRO-...

mummson wrote:
berserkr wrote:

I found out that some people are filling up their ink cartridges with a syringe and saving money that way. I haven't really looked into it since I haven't decided on a printer.

I've been refilling for the past two years. It's worked out well for me. It's cheap enough that I don't hesitate about printing out a sheet with a solid black background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:

It goes a bit over my desired budget I can get both the Canon PIXMA iX6850 and Officejet 7110 Wide at a really good discount. Im going to test them out. See witch is better.

lankyb wrote:

I've been refilling for the past two years. It's worked out well for me. It's cheap enough that I don't hesitate about printing out a sheet with a solid black background.

where do you buy the dye?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Porter
United States
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mummson wrote:
I can get both the Canon PIXMA iX6850 and Officejet 7110 Wide at a really good discount. Im going to test them out. See witch is better.

Be sure to check out the inexpensive ink sets available for the Pixma printers, to see if they meet your needs well enough (in terms of color match and coverage). For the kind of card-printing that I've done, they've worked great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Yes, there is a significant price increase for the next model. That's why I got the Pro9000 instead of the Pro9500.

mummson wrote:

I've ordered once from:
http://www.precisioncolors.com/

Another member who I spoke to said that she orders from:
http://www.inksupply.com/

The ink from Precision Colors works well for board gaming materials, but I think it's less UV resistant than the original Canon ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mummson wrote:

I'm using ink from Goutte d'encre for my Canon Pixma MP280 and I'm really happy with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.