T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One question was already asked related to the Cult Cards in Mammoth Hunters (see: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/89537), but I'm still a little confused on the rules for them.

First, I'll start with the Light Cult Card to make sure I have that right. Basically, is it correct that playing the Light Cult Card means you can pick whether to execute either the top Light Card on the discard stack or the top Dark Card on the discard stack? Thus, you'd either pay some stones and gain the ability on the top discarded light card, or received some stons and give away the ability on the top discarded dark card. I think that's the correct interpretation, but I could be wrong. An alternative way to read the rules, as I see it, is to say that you look at the top TWO discarded cards (presumably on the Light discard stack), and pick between those two discarded light cards, and execute one of them. Is the first way the right way, or the second way, or is there a third interpretation that I'm not thinking of?

Second, now for the Dark Cult Card, which is even more confusing. I've read in the other thread mentioned above that the text of the Dark Cult Card is a misprint, so I can ignore the part about the club/moving hunters. However, regardless of that misprint, I still don't understand what the Dark Cult Card does. Does it let the person playing the Dark Cult Card choose one of the top two discarded dark cards to execute, so they receive stones and give away an ability? Does it let a chosen opponent pick a top discarded card to execute, if so then from which stacks? The instructions Note that you can play the Dark Cult Card and then choose the light top-most discarded card to execute. That's totally confusing. Does this mean you can play the Dark Cult Card, and then select the top discarded light card, then pay stones, and take the action on that card? How does that come from playing a dark card? Does this mean that the color (light vs. dark) of the Cult Card is completely irrelevant because both colors can be used for the exact same purpose?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You use either cult card to take the top card from either discard stack. the cost in stones is paid or received according to the card taken and the action on the card carried out accordingly. Only the top card of either discard pile (dark or light) is considered (not the top two), and light or dark may be used regardless of the type of cult card played.

When used, the cult card is placed at the bottom of the relevant discard pile (light under the light discard pile and dark under the dark discard pile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Anthony, that makes sense.

So just be totally clear, the light and dark cult card are functionally identical then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Thommy8 wrote:
Thanks Anthony, that makes sense.

So just be totally clear, the light and dark cult card are functionally identical then?

Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.