GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,766 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Disk Wars, if you don't mind discs instead of minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
-To be relatively inexpensive.

This doesn't really go along with minis games. Though I guess it depends on what inexpensive means to you.

Most minis games don't work that well three player either, as you end up with 2 ganging up on one, or one player turtling until the other 2 kill each other and then striking when both are weak.

The only game that I know that works really well multiplayer is Wings of War/Glory, but there's not really any army or team building there.

I mean, you can pick your planes (and they all fly differently), but it's not as in depth as most minis games are. It does tick the rest of your boxes though pretty well. I can explain the rules to the game to a new player in about 3 minutes or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and Heroes for fantasy settings, or its cousin Flying Lead for shootier settings. There are a number of expansions in this family if you want more, but either of those would be a good start. The rulebooks are cheap, and you can use any minis you fancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find the bits, and if you're OK with Games Workshop, I hear Necromunda is a hell of a minis skirmish game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hatton
Australia
Tamworth
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
If you can find the bits, and if you're OK with Games Workshop, I hear Necromunda is a hell of a minis skirmish game.

But unable to be played as a three player.

It looks like you're gonna get a lot of things that are 2 or 3 out of 4 on your list. Minis + inexpensive is basically impossible. Skirmish and 3 player is also hard and I can't really think of any games that do it well. X-Wing is probably the closest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Song of Blades and Heroes. For only 8$, you get the rules in PDF format (about 45 pages). The system is simple yet complete, elegant, and fun. You can play with any minis, including free ones that you can print yourself, for example from the www.onemonk.com website. You'll have to tweak the rules very slightly to play with 3 players, but I am sure that if you ask on the game's page some players will tell you what they do or offer useful suggestions. Otherwise, it would be easy to use two small warbands and gang up on the other player.

Impossible to beat and the fun to dollar ratio is extremely high, and this is not only because the cost is so affordable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of a war game/skirmish with collectible minis, why not a self-contained dudes on a map game? I still love Shogun (now Ikusa). Not the same high from a bunch of painted figs but cheaper.

For hero clix, you can buy commons and older series cheap on eBay or trollandtoad if you don't mind not getting the tougher units. I use the cheap figs with my own frankensteined mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Chuff Ape (Keyforge)
mbmbmbmbmb
p4warrior wrote:
Disk Wars, if you don't mind discs instead of minis.

+1 for Warhammer: Diskwars. Inexpensive, easy to learn and supports 3 players. It is uses disks instead of miniatures but it is a tight and deep game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not see any problems with 3 players.
Basically all of them incorporate some system designed to keep forces balanced (more or less), usually by using point costs. Just double the amount of points available to one player, the other two ally against him.
I've played Warhammer 40k quite often with this setup, and so far I've never received any negative feedback on the games - people have rather asked for another game.
This approach should work with basically every miniature game out there, so you could simply go for the game you like best.

Sure, it's no more everybody against everybody else, but the way I read the initial post it's more about the experience anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ramirez

Seymour
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to recommend Kemet. It mostly meets the requirements and it's a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have already considered it, why not just go X-wing? It's pretty accessible, not terribly expensive, and there is room to involve yourself with DIY mods such as crafting asteroids and such.

It should hold up as a 3 player, and I believe the dog pile gang up can be avoided by running scenarios or giving other objectives beyond last man standing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scum & Villainy faction is soon available for X-Wing, so 3-way all-for-themselves matches will be more thematic.

We have played X-Wing with 3 and 4 players in 2 teams, although it has become more scarce, because we have other games for 3 and 4 players, and not everyone is so excited about X-Wing.

Despite of that I have gotten the first 4 missions played now, and I see that there is a lot to explore there, because you never tend to choose the best possible squad for the first play of a mission. So, there is always room for continual improvement on both sides. There are also user-created missions, although I have not checked if any of them encourage/support 3 sides/players out-of-the-box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnaTC wrote:
Perturabo wrote:
I do not see any problems with 3 players.
Basically all of them incorporate some system designed to keep forces balanced (more or less), usually by using point costs. Just double the amount of points available to one player, the other two ally against him.
I've played Warhammer 40k quite often with this setup, and so far I've never received any negative feedback on the games - people have rather asked for another game.
This approach should work with basically every miniature game out there, so you could simply go for the game you like best.

Sure, it's no more everybody against everybody else, but the way I read the initial post it's more about the experience anyway.

Agreed, at least back in 2nd Edition, we played 3 player 40K all the time. Not allied, just blow 'em all up, it was a blast.

Three player Warmachine in this manner does not work well at all. That game is balanced around each army having the same amount of points. So it might not work on all games, though I'm sure it may in a number of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easier to find a board game that uses miniatures than a Warhammer style miniature war game for 3 players that meets the requirements.

Board games with heavy miniature presence that work for 3 player include Kemet, Cthulhu Wars and Arcadia Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Strout
msg tools
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
I will second Song of Blades and Heroes. For only 8$, you get the rules in PDF format (about 45 pages). The system is simple yet complete, elegant, and fun. You can play with any minis...

Impossible to beat and the fun to dollar ratio is extremely high, and this is not only because the cost is so affordable.

I hadn't heard of this one before. Would it play well with LEGO minifigs, do you think?

I'm a big fan of LEGO gaming, because it's so versatile -- and minifigs are considerably more detailed (in some ways) and configurable (in pretty much any way) than most other miniatures. And when you get bored with one game, you can always try another. (In fact, to the OP, you could always try Brickhammer.)

But if SoBaH plays well with LEGO, maybe that'll have to be my next game to try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hell, my Alzheimer's is striking again (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it).....

What's that miniatures game with 4-5 different 'troop types'/side. It's hex based movement, dice combat, there's a small tower in the middle.

GAH...memory fail. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops? Fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeStrout wrote:
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
I will second Song of Blades and Heroes. For only 8$, you get the rules in PDF format (about 45 pages). The system is simple yet complete, elegant, and fun. You can play with any minis...

I hadn't heard of this one before. Would it play well with LEGO minifigs, do you think?

I'm a big fan of LEGO gaming, because it's so versatile -- and minifigs are considerably more detailed (in some ways) and configurable (in pretty much any way) than most other miniatures. And when you get bored with one game, you can always try another. (In fact, to the OP, you could always try Brickhammer.)

But if SoBaH plays well with LEGO, maybe that'll have to be my next game to try!

Song of Blades and Heroes will play with ANY mini. You will have to create profiles for them if they don't fit with the existing profiles (there are hundreds, but mostly fantasy).

In fact I just created profiles for a game of Robin Hood against the Sheriff of Nottingham. It is also LOTS simpler then Brickwars

Give it a try. 8$ (14 if you want a paperback copy instead of the PDF) buys you a complete and fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Strout
msg tools
Thanks for the recommendation. I put the printed book on my Christmas list, but if it doesn't appear under the tree, I'll sneak out and get it for myself. (I often get a gift card from the in-laws anyway, and at the moment I can't think of a better use for it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
I was thinking along the same lines as Kyle. There are a lot of games that are inexpensive by using tiles or cards instead of minis, if you don't ming that. If you want a game that has been a hit with all of my friends that play minis, look at Neuroshima Hex! 3.0. Also, another game along those lines is Summoner Wars.

Summoner Wars isn't really a 3 player game though.

I would possibly suggest:
Catalyst Game Labs 3500B Battletech Introductory Box Set $50
Star Trek Fleet Captains.
Heroscape if you don't mind doing some Ebay hunting.
Dungeon Command.
Song of Blades and Heroes if you have some mini's and just want some rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeStrout wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I put the printed book on my Christmas list, but if it doesn't appear under the tree, I'll sneak out and get it for myself. (I often get a gift card from the in-laws anyway, and at the moment I can't think of a better use for it!)

Cool choice

Just to tease you, I have put character profiles (on cards, though the cards themselves are totally non-necessary to play) for Robin Hoods scenarios here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17654471

For the moment, I only have names for the scenarios but my plan is to upload complete scenarios to go with the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Walsh
United Kingdom
Ware
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disagree that Necromuna can't be played as a three player

AAR of a game that we played in just that fashion

http://finelydicedgamers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/necromunda-d...

That is all ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
BrikWars

Song of Blades and Heroes, with expansions you can even do sci-fi theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of what you ask doesn't add up that well. You want an army building game that is inexpensive? You want a miniature game that is easy to learn? You want a miniatures game that's 3 players?

I've thought about one game that seems to do this, but you don't choose your army configuration and must play with an entire army. This game is Neuroshima Hex.

The base game sports 3 races that are pretty unique. Each race has their own selection of soldiers and a headquarter with its own unique ability. It can be played as a 1v1, 1v1v1, 2v2 or 1v1v1v1 game. As a 1v1v1 game, I do a format called Hunter where each player is trying to kill the person to their left. Whoever kills their target first wins. 2v2 is also really interesting because you can combine powers. There are plenty of armies in this game to play your heart out. I like this game, but I sold it because I really don't have anyone else I play with except casuals. I think it really does play like a miniatures game because you have a lot of the same mechanics. You have unit orientation in 6 different directions. You have line of sight. You have attacking initiative. You have different units with abilities and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
When you feel the ground rumble, know an OGRE is coming.
mbmbmbmb
How about Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom? Get the minis that look great and duke it out. Can be used in with heroscape tiles if you can get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.