GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Best card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan anonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
Has there ever been a best card decided upon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theethanguy wrote:

"There is no best card, only a best deck."

That's a paraphrase from my local FLGS owner (and multiple-time Pro Tour participant).

Of course, even if you believe in a best deck, it's a relative position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Lotus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power 7.

'Nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbender wrote:
Black Lotus.

I'm no expert, but I'd be hard-pressed to find a deck it *wouldn't* improve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit old, but interesting read none the less.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/22676_Vintage-Avant-Gar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It would be most interesting to see a revisit to that article and see where new cards released that have made an impact since, like Treasure Cruise, and Dig Through Time, would land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Probably Squire.

Outside the cards already listed I'm sure Jace in his Mindsculpting robes could probably enter the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Rygel wrote:
Power 7.

'Nuff said.

Which two cards are you leaving out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
He said, "'Nuff said". That means he doesn't plan to clarify or defend his point, just make it. Duh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timetwister is less good than the other power, though Mishra's Workshop could easily slip into its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be refuted by many, but as far as recent cards, my vote for best card is Vampire Nighthawk. This dude is a 2/3, flying life linker with deathtouch. For 3 mana. I've seen this guy do work, serious work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
theethanguy wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel A Fernandez Rico
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
theethanguy wrote:

Came here to say this. Besides, awesome art, the one I like the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'd be somewhat surprised if the answer is not Ancestral Recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancestral Recall or Black Lotus. Nothing else comes close...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
This will be refuted by many, but as far as recent cards, my vote for best card is Vampire Nighthawk. This dude is a 2/3, flying life linker with deathtouch. For 3 mana. I've seen this guy do work, serious work.

As a modern card it's good, but it's a pussy compared to Hypnotic Spectre, and in real terms that doesn't even make the top 10, or probably 20. No creature does...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:

As a modern card it's good, but it's a pussy compared to Hypnotic Spectre, and in real terms that doesn't even make the top 10, or probably 20. No creature does...

I totally disagree with you on the Hypnotic Spectre. I agree, HS is a good card and generating card advantage is fantastic but it's a triggered ability. What if I don't want to attack? What if I can't get an damage through? Now I just have a 2/2 flyer.

Admittedly, I don't play anything other than Modern/Standard so my experience with the old cards is nil, but in my experience nothing has topped the Hawk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point about Hypnotic Spectre is that card advantage is so much more powerful than either life gain or creature removal, and thus in the grand scheme of MTG the ability to hit opponents' hands is better than lifelink or deathtouch even if its only usable on offense.

Subjective, obviously, though readily true in the older eternal formats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
Admittedly, I don't play anything other than Modern/Standard so my experience with the old cards is nil, but in my experience nothing has topped the Hawk.

This could definitely change perspective. In formats that include Dark Ritual, a first turn Hypnotic Specter is huge, because it can disrupt the opponent's hand before it could have any defenses up (or enough mana to keep pace). A T1 Hippie that swings on T2 and knocks a land out of a hand that was barely on the happy side of a land mulligan to begin with... is game over. A first turn Nighthawk is nice, but it doesn't actually hinder the opponent's gameplan by anything more than a life swing. If the opponent was going to mount defenses, that opponent still will unhindered, even if the relative life totals will have swung substantially by the time it gets realized.

Vampire Nighthawk is more of a long-game killer - when the game has reached the point that both sides are getting midsized creatures out (which in a Ritual-less environment is usually at least turn 3), at that point a 2/x flyer probably isn't getting through nor killing anything it blocks. At that point, the fact that Vampire Nighthawk will most likely take down anything it blocks or anything that blocks it makes it quite formidable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.